The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

750, Version 2.50, and still angonizingly slow....

40 minutes to boot yesterday. I was pissed off, so I fired off a poison pen letter to Garmin; I mean, I've had it. I got a plesant reply from a fellow named Ryan who instructs me to load WebUpdater (Like I don't know who to do that already) and load 2.50. So I do that, leave it off overnight and start it up this morning. Now it takes 27 minutes to boot up. Plus...plus!...I lose all of my waypoints and route revisions, which I had added to the unit since I had last saved to disk. WHY ARE THEY OVERWRITING CURRENT.GBX!!! It has NOTHING to do with the unit software! So I shot another email to Ryan asking what's next. It's been 3 months, 3 software updates, and it's way too late to return it to the dealer. I've asked Garmin to take this dog back, and they're still asking me to do things to it. Now...I'd like to do a Reset before I totally give up and use it to prop up the broken table leg. I did it once before, but I've fogotten. Can someone list the procedure again?

Comments

• tomj03 0 Points
    Anything that requires more then 5 min for me, I will defect. More than 10: I will smash it against the wall.
    But seriously when a GPS fails to acquire satellites, go out into the open, turn it off then on. It might take less time than just keep waiting.
  • kcuf 0 Points
    I believe to reset your 750 upon turning ON your unit, place you finger on the lower right corner for 30 seconds.

I have a 750 with 2.5 and it works great. I'm assuming your unit is still under warranty. Send it back and have Garmin check it out.
  • Turn off your PIN Code protection. I found right away that the Garmin Nuvi 750 wastes a lot of time looking for that code when turned on.
  • Turn off your PIN Code protection. I found right away that the Garmin Nuvi 750 wastes a lot of time looking for that code when turned on.
    PIN has been off.

Thanks, I reset it, losing any additional data that remained after the 2.50 update. Now I'll wait overnight to insure a cold boot.
  • It may be defective, but definitely do a cold boot. Just got mine a month ago (760) and the only time when it took longer than 10-15 seconds was when I left it outside in the car during a freeze. Warmed it up for about 5 minutes and it has worked fine since.

Great gps that is for sure.
  • I have a 750 with 2.5. I am on a long trip with mine. Even when left off (not connected to 12 volt power source) for 15 hours it consistently grabs a satellite lock in less than 5 seconds after boot. It boots to my PIN screen within seconds and full green bars great me almost instantly after I hit the "Agree". I have never lost any route or waypoint data. Something is not right with yours. Hopefully a full reset will correct.
  • My 750 comes up in seconds too.

Just a shot in the dark here.

Do you perhaps have one of those windshields with the metallic layer between the sheets of glass, the type used for melting snow and ice from the windshield? I used to have one of those and found that it effectively prevented RF from going through it.

Try the unit outdoors or in another car.
  • My 760 with the latest webupdater software and the Sirf chip, other than the initial out of the box powerup satellite acquisition, grabs the satellite signals quite quickly.
  • I've been holding off on a reply until I had something more defined. Web Updater installed 2.50 and I let it sit off overnight to obsolete the almanac data. The next day, I hooked an external antenna to insure a good reception of the satellites. I turned it on and within seconds had a fix. Great! Yesterday, I removed the 750 from its cradle, disconnected the external antenna and again let it sit all day yesterday, and overnight in my vehicle. This morning I tried it without the external antenna, sitting in its cradle on on a vent mount. Nothing! It took about 12 minutes to get a lock and most of the time, there was no satellite data being received. I had to hit the "continue search" button once during the delay. Suddenly, I got one bird, followed by a few more, followed by a lock. My vehicle is a 2007 Tahoe which I'm pretty sure does not have a metallic film in the windshield. My toll transponder works just fine stuck to the inside of the windshield. At first I thought it had to be a bad internal antenna because when I hook up the external antenna, I can max out all of the available receive channels in the 750. But after it gets a lock on the internal antenna, it works good, and the signal strength is fair to good according to the blue bars. I was going to mention to respondent bobshort1 that the term "cold boot" had nothing to do with the temperature, and that got me thinking that when it was physically warm, it started up fine. When I left it in the car overnight, it took a long time. Perhaps the frequency of a crystal or crystals in the unit's receiver are being affected by cold and is altering where the 750's receiver is looking until it's physically warm enough that the crystal frequencies are within tolerances to operate correctly. It's now inside on my desk so when I go tonight, it will be physically warm. Other than that, I'm at a loss. I'm going advise Garmin of the situation if this test doesn't show anything definite, and wait for their next bandaid fix.
  • I walked outside work and turned it on after sitting for nearly 9 hours. It fired up in about 15 seconds. It's in the house at them moment, so I will see how it cold boots after sitting at room temperature overnight.
  • The battery and the unit will not operate if below freezing. Take the unit indoors and it will operate in the car down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit outside the car.
  • infama 0 Points
    I walked outside work and turned it on after sitting for nearly 9 hours. It fired up in about 15 seconds. It's in the house at them moment, so I will see how it cold boots after sitting at room temperature overnight.
    I posted here a week or so ago about someone who solved their problem BEFORE 2.50, by heating up the unit to 60 degrees (internally) and never had a problem again.
  • I walked outside work and turned it on after sitting for nearly 9 hours. It fired up in about 15 seconds. It's in the house at them moment, so I will see how it cold boots after sitting at room temperature overnight.
    No joy. After 12 hours at room temperature, it wouldn't lock this morning, so I turned it off. Going to try a few other scenarios before I give it up.

Mitch: What you're saying may be true. But is it any different to leave it in the cradle vs. disconnecting it an leaving it in the car overnight? The reason I'm asking I often leave in in the cradle overnight where temps often drop below zero, and it starts fine in the morning. I realize that in the cradle it's really not "Off".
  • I got a 760 in December and it took 8 - 10mins to lock on. In or out of the car with an Athermic windscreen.
    I then down loaded 2.5 and now it works a treat. If I am in my secret place it locks on from cold before the code entry page comes up! I don't know what they did with 2.5 but it certainly made a BIG difference!!
    One theory that I put forward was that maybe, when the 760 was first produced it was intended to use Garmin's own chip (see the various posts on this site) and the software/firmware was tweaked for that chip. For some reason they used the SiRF chip (Tim's was one of the first off the line and mine was new stock in December and both are Sirf).
    Whilst I don't think that it is possible to change the receiver sensitivity - that is fixed by geometry - it might well be possible to tweak the signal processing time with a software upgrade - hence the improvement with 2.5!
    My 760, pre 2.5 was slow to lock on but once it locked on it held tightly to the signal even when greatly attenuated by the Athermic windscreen. This would play to the undoubted performance of the SiRF chip and the long lock on time would likely be due to the signal processing circuitry maybe NOT being optimised for the SiRF chip.
    One thing that I would like to know is whether the 750 that is still having problems AFTER 2.5 has the SiRF chip. If it doesn't then 2.5, if as I surmise was aimed at SiRF then it might not make any improvement to another chip.
    That's my theory and I am sure someone is going to shoot it down BUT, with all the claims about changing chips from SiRF to Garmin's own and yet most people who have looked at their chipset are reporting that they have SiRF then an out-of-step production run might be an explanation.
    Regards,
  • My unit has the SiRF chipset.

Today I let it sit in my coat pocket for 9 hours. I dropped it into it's cradle, and it after loading the maps, it immediately locked. Not great signal strength, but as you said, held tenaciously to the signals; a full set. SO my guess is that 9 hours is not enough time to allow the almanac data to become out of date. Now, if I let it sit for 14 hours as I do when I arrive home in the afternoon, it has difficulty starting the following morning. Once again., I'll try it in the morning and see what happens.
  • Tim 1271 Points
    I'm back to really slow acquisition times again too. My 760 was turned off for about 48 hours. It has now been on, outside, "Locating Satellites" for about 25 minutes.
  • Tim 1271 Points
    And it is worthy of noting that I also took two TomTom devices, two Magellan devices, one NAVIGON, and one Harman Kardon device that had also been turned off for at least 48 hours. I turned those on at the same place at the same time and they all connected within 20 seconds.
  • Tim 1271 Points
    Finally! 48 minutes. And for additional reference my Nuvi 200 series grabbed the signal in 3 minutes and a Nuvi 300 series grabbed it in about 15 seconds.
  • I'm not looking forward to the 7xx series. These issues are enough to drive me nuts. I doubt the 8xx will be any better.

At the first chance when there will be a major price reduction, I'm picking up the Nuvi 350 or 650 on clearance. A week ago the 350 was incorrectly sold online at Costco.ca for $189. I was too slow on that deal and they were all out of stock for that price.
  • And it is worthy of noting that I also took two TomTom devices, two Magellan devices, one NAVIGON, and one Harman Kardon device that had also been turned off for at least 48 hours. I turned those on at the same place at the same time and they all connected within 20 seconds.
    Ya, it also note worthy to note (again) that my trusty, 5 year old GPS V locks in about 30 seconds.
  • I'm back to really slow acquisition times again too. My 760 was turned off for about 48 hours. It has now been on, outside, "Locating Satellites" for about 25 minutes.
    Hi Tim,
    Is that with 2.5 loaded?
    Regards,

PS How do I load photos into a post from my desktop?
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    Tim, I'm curious what the satellite screen was showing while you were waiting to boot. Was it not locating satellites or not getting sufficient lock on the satellites? Mine is not slow-booting (yet), still about 30 seconds this morning, but I would like to know more specifics if you have them.
  • Hi Gator,

Do you have the Sirf chip and 2.5 software?
    I shut down my 760 about 2pm yesterday afternoon. I was in an unheated garage all night and the temperature got down to -2 degC. I started it up this morning and by the time I had backed out of the garage it had lock on even with an Athermic screen. Prior to 2.5 the same scenario would have had me waiting +/_ 10mins for a lock-on IF I REMAINED STATIONARY. Much longer if I decided to drive away.

Some one pointed out on the forum that they had a problem with the fix wandering intermittently since installing 2.5. There is one road near me where I have always had a wandering problem - pre and post 2.5. Just for about 15 - 20 secs the icon loses it's place. Always at the same spot on the road. One side of the road is a shear rock face and I think that I may be getting satellite signal reflections off the rock face - like ghosting on a TV. Have you seen this problem?
    Regards,
  • infama 0 Points
    Gator has sirf and 2.5
  • Tim 1271 Points
    Tim, I'm curious what the satellite screen was showing while you were waiting to boot. Was it not locating satellites or not getting sufficient lock on the satellites?
    I'm on 2.5, yes.

For about the first 10 minutes it showed it was listening to one, or sometimes two satellites. For the next 10 minutes it was listening to two, but sometimes three satellites at a time. It kept shifting between which satellites it was listening to, but only connecting to 1-3 at a time until about 30 minutes in. So over those 30 minutes or so it was listening in on about 7 or 8 different satellites in total, but only 1-3 at a time.

And again, my Nuvi 200 locked in within seconds after a similar 48 hours of sleep.
  • Tim,
    What chipset is in the Nuvi 200?

"For about the first 10 minutes it showed it was listening to one, or sometimes two satellites. For the next 10 minutes it was listening to two, but sometimes three satellites at a time. It kept shifting between which satellites it was listening to, but only connecting to 1-3 at a time until about 30 minutes in. So over those 30 minutes or so it was listening in on about 7 or 8 different satellites in total, but only 1-3 at a time. "

That is exactly what my 760 was doing BEFORE installing 2.5.
    Regards,
  • Tim 1271 Points
    I can't remember how do you find it on that device?
  • I don't have access to any 7xx units, but my 260 with the MTK chip had never taken more than 4 minutes to acquire a signal. That includes the first time out of the box, and the first boot up after driving from Colorado to Florida, then flying back. Maybe simpler IS better... :wink:
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    Still same issue today, Tim? I just checked again after being off for about nearly 6 hours, took 18 sec. after clearing the "legal" screen. Not seeing any issue yet and and I use daily, except for weekends. Maybe after being off for a couple of days will change that? Puzzling.
  • Tim 1271 Points
    I haven't checked yet today, but I'l turn it on right now.
  • In my case, 2.5 made a HUGE difference to the lock on time Like from minutes to seconds. Is there no way of finding out exactly what was addressed in 2.5? I don't think that the official mod list even mentioned the lock on time but something that they did surely changed dramatically in my case - and I believe others have had the same experience. We have Sirf chips and I do not see how a software upgrade could make a successful chip like Sirf more sensitive - or any other receiver chip for that matter. This leaves the signal processing - we can discount the mapping & routing part as they don't come into play until after lock-on. Garmin have twice, to my knowledge said that they are unaware of the lock on problem yet SOMETHING that they did in 2.5 made a DRAMATIC improvement. Is this a marketing ploy - deny the problem because there is a fix just around the corner?
  • Tim 1271 Points
    Four minutes today... still too long but better than forty!
  • Four minutes today... still too long but better than forty!
    Tim,
    Was the unit at basically the same ambient temperature on both days?
  • Tim 1271 Points
    II do not see how a software upgrade could make a successful chip like Sirf more sensitive
    It dosn't make the chip more sensitive, all the chip does is listen and report what it hears. The bulk of the computation happens in the software calculating what to do with the data it receives. Remember the GPS satellites don't tell your device where it is, your device listens to the satellite and does all of the heavy math itself.
  • Tim 1271 Points
    Was the unit at basically the same ambient temperature on both days?
    Yes, about 65°F.
  • Tim 1271 Points
    In my case, 2.5 made a HUGE difference to the lock on time
    Me too except it made mine worse! :)
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    Peebs, I received an "official" e-mail from Garmin tech spewing the same update features as on the site. Called and spoke to the tech himself who indicated that the faster lock time should be noticable, but said there was no "hidden" download in 2.5, just the result of general improvements thru the last 3 firmware updates. I don't buy it.
  • II do not see how a software upgrade could make a successful chip like Sirf more sensitive

It dosn't make the chip more sensitive, all the chip does is listen and report what it hears. The bulk of the computation happens in the software calculating what to do with the data it receives. Remember the GPS satellites don't tell your device where it is, your device listens to the satellite and does all of the heavy math itself.
    I realise that the sensitivity of the device at these frequencies is dependant on the geometry - something that cannot be changed by software BUT, the post reception signal processing CAN be changed and I still believe, in my case, that that is what has happened. It could be that the 2.5 mod was done in a hurry because of the many complaints that Garmin "were not aware off" and is perhaps still unstable - as in your case. It will be interesting to see if 2.5 is quickly by 2.5b!!
  • Tim 1271 Points
    the post reception signal processing CAN be changed and I still believe, in my case, that that is what has happened.
    Exactly, which begs the question of why many of us are getting different results. Your signal improved, other people report no change, and I got worse results.
  • Peebs, I received an "official" e-mail from Garmin tech spewing the same update features as on the site. Called and spoke to the tech himself who indicated that the faster lock time should be noticable, but said there was no "hidden" download in 2.5, just the result of general improvements thru the last 3 firmware updates. I don't buy it.
    That is bullshit!! If this improvement has happened over the last three upgrades then I would hate to think what the performance was under 2.3!!
    2.5 made such a huge difference that there had to be something specific to that release. In my case - and I believe with others also - we are talking a quantum change. In my case from Minutes to seconds - that is 60 times as fast!!!!
    I am still thinking that they knew - although they denied - that there was a serious lock on problem with 2.4 and have rushed out 2.5 without proper beta testing to cover their tracks. Maybe what Tim is now seeing is some chip specific instability that is still in the release.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    I completely agree. Have you done the 2.6 update, and if so, any change?
  • the post reception signal processing CAN be changed and I still believe, in my case, that that is what has happened.

Exactly, which begs the question of why many of us are getting different results. Your signal improved, other people report no change, and I got worse results.
    Tim,
    If, as you say, some got improvements, some got nothing and others, like yourself, got worse performance it would lead one to suspect that 2.5 was rushed out to clear a known but denied problem without proper beta testing. The result is an instability that is chip/unit specific. Garmin are not the first electronics company to fall into that trap. The trouble they now face is that instead of having one problem across the board, they have many!!!
  • I completely agree. Have you done the 2.6 update, and if so, any change?
    Gator,
    Tell me you are kidding? Is there a 2.6 already???
  • Is there a 2.6?????
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    I haven't checked myself, didn't have the usb cable with me. It may only apply to the 200 series, since the post references the 260 (in nuvi forums "260 2.6 update". I may have spoken out of turn. Let me know.
  • That makes sense. I just checked the Garmin sight and only saw the 2.5 for the 700 series. I should have read more carefully
  • My 750 sat for approximately 14 hours overnight. This morning it started up outside the vehicle in about 15 seconds after the maps loaded. I got about the same results when I let is sit for 9 hours. So I'm assuming the following:

0-14 hours is too short a duration for the GPS to exhibit the slow startup problem. But 2.50 seems to have fixed if it hasn't been off too long.

If you let it sit a "long" period of time, the unit appears to search for satellites. It seems to try different combinations of satellites before finally giving up and going quiet. It then asks if you want to continue where upon it begins to search again. Eventually it finds a satellite, and probably loads information on exactly which satellites are visible. This is what I believe is happening. I could be way off, but after playing with it for weeks, this is what I think is happening. 2.50 appears to fix the acquisition problem if the unit is off for as yet an undetermined amount of time. Beyond that time, the unit appears to have an almanac problem; where it physically located, and what satellites should be visible. I had a quick start this morning with 14 hours off, so now I'm going to leave it off for approximately23 hours, and see what happens.
  • infama 0 Points
    Solution is simple.

Garmin needs to bite the bullet and implement Quickfix for the nuvis. There should be no waiting for InstantfixII. The situation is too messy.
  • Hold your finger over the upper left corner of the screen above the satellite bar code. After a minute the satellite acquisition screen will be displayed.

One needs about 4 satellites to get a fix. Note which satellite numbers have a problem.

I have had no problems acquiring satellites for my Garmin Nuvi 750. However, for the past week I have had severe problems getting enough satellites acquired for my Sirius Radio. That problem seems to occur every year around this time.

Also, one of our satellites was LOST. It is expected to crash into the earth's atmosphere very soon and hit the ground.

Its possible that some of you in similar locations may be affected by this loss. When you indicate problems, please indicate approximate location. All this could be related in some way.
  • arriva 0 Points
    just did the 2.60 update,in the system infoit says.powered by sirfinstantfixll copyright 2008 sirf....