This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

The Mio really pans - in a good way [Mio]

Played with a Mio, c230 in BestBuy while I was in that store for my previous saga which I won't bore you with again :)

The Mio panned really easily. Best so far, without a doubt. My fingernail hits that screen and the map moves easily and precisely. Very impressed. Finally, one that actually pans as it should. I think I know why people love the Mio even when it can't find a street!!!

I also had a chance to play with the new 5" Garmin. That did not pan and the screen was very weak. Maybe a demo model that was not up to snuff. Something was wrong and the screen was turned up all the way. It's a biggie though. Not too thick, similar to my Nextar.

I also tried out the Magellan 4250. That also was flakey with panning. And it failed my Kennard Road in 18944 test. Can't figure out what since that is a solid road in the Navteq maps. Maybe they are using Navteq from 2005? My 2006 Navteq/Nextar and online Google maps shows that road, basically a not so new road in a development.

Comments

• infama 0 Points
    Try the 720 or 920 for this.

I think you will like it.

• The Mio panned really easily. Best so far, without a doubt. My fingernail hits that screen and the map moves easily and precisely. Very impressed. Finally, one that actually pans as it should. I think I know why people love the Mio even when it can't find a street!!!
    Well, to be fair Mio C230 does come w/ great hardware.
    Surprisingly, it equipped w/ equal if not better hardware than most high-end GPS.

For starter: its Touch film is actually access by FAST 266mhz BGA RAM.

Then, there is 400mhz processor which been use mainly on HIGH-end GPS such as TomTom 920.

Obviously, it also come w/ industrial standard SiRF III version 3e, which pair w/ NEC Antenna receiver.

1230mAh battery also capable of running this little device closed to 3 hours at Brightness at 75% and Voice at 80%.

I would say there is nothing wrong w/ the map as it was power by TeleAtlas 2007.7 version. I am sure if you can find it in TomTom, you can definitely find it in MIOS.

iGo has great info display, anywhere you touch on the map, it will list all its surround POI. ( of course, it is bit complicated for my liking)

Few minor improved need to be address on C230 is its 1 Million POI database. Obviously, it come w/ only 1GB internal memory, but if you can get an 1GB SD card, I can fill them up w/ 12 million POI data. :)

Its TTS tends to be very chatty, okay, they are too chatty. Seems like it is so afraid you not going to listen to it. haha..

For less than $180, I would think C230 is a bargin.
  • Nice photos. What camera did you use?

So good hardware. You did a good job. Nice review. The battery certainly is efficient. And I saw the -40 on the ARM indicating 400 MHz for the embedded cpu.

I wanted to get a Mio c320, not the c230, that's confusing but Radio Shack was out of them. Another fellow here did what I wanted to do. He took the c320, put in a TTS file, probably from Australia, and had the equivalent of a c520. He also updated the maps but without the company's help :) Don't know how he did that but must have found the Mio maps somewhere updated.

What happened was the c320 was selling for around $150 so meeting your specs for the c230. Why can't they make up unique numbers? Like Model no. 20 and no. 30 instead of 230 and 320? Or is that me. I have to hesitate to make sure I did not transpose the digits.
  • @Adamquestion;
    I just use my 2 year old Canon SD600 in Micro-mode to took those photos. Nothing fancy.

I know about those mod on MIO or TomTom, but I just don't feel comfortable discussing about it. After all, MIO/ TOMTOM engineer need those "intellectual property" to pay for their bill and family.
  • infama 0 Points
    I found the Mios to be slow in changing menu screens.

That is my biggest complaint. Other than that, they do pack in features.
  • @Adamquestion;
    I just use my 2 year old Canon SD600 in Micro-mode to took those photos. Nothing fancy.

I know about those mod on MIO or TomTom, but I just don't feel comfortable discussing about it. After all, MIO/ TOMTOM engineer need those "intellectual property" to pay for their bill and family.
    Thanks for the info. I feel a bit embarrassed. The downloading of the TTS file is legal. I gather you think that's a gray area that might affect the engineers? Surely the bottom line and indirectly the engineers, but most likely the company.

I'll think about this.

This all reminds me of when the wholesale copying of programs started in the first years of the PC revolution, back in the 80's.

Believe it or not, this helped the programs become famous. Only the really good programs got pirated and then they took off, mainly what, Lotus 1-2-3 and Wordstar.

But copying kills the lesser programs. It did help the top of the hill programs or so I was told.

I'm glad I did not get the Mio if I was going to deprive an engineer of food for his children :(
  • @Luv2Review: I always knew I liked the 230, now I understand why. For the price, I think it ranks way up there with the best of them, IMHO, is spite of the anemic POI database.

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
  • you can add poi though. i want to, i just need to know if there is a program that can convert csv files into kml or kmz. does anyone know?
  • IMHO, after using several different GPS, I've found the c230 may very well be the "sleeper" of the GPS world for those who want a solid, good performing GPS at a great price. Yes, the POI database is weak but the c230 does a solid job of getting you from point A to point B, along with some very nice useful features. However, if your main GPS concern is the world's largest POI database, definitely look elsewhere.

luv2review: BTW, great shots and coverage/info of what makes the c230 tick.
  • I've read that Mio has a problem with the display rotating around when stopped. I've seen this happen on other devices after you turn it on and there isn't a route set, but does this happen if you're at a stoplight with a route? Have there been any updates to the software recently that might correct this?
  • I've read that Mio has a problem with the display rotating around when stopped. I've seen this happen on other devices after you turn it on and there isn't a route set, but does this happen if you're at a stoplight with a route? Have there been any updates to the software recently that might correct this?
    Yes, with a route set, on occasion the map may slowly rotate when sitting still (stop light, etc) but doesn't do it all the time. I've heard reports of other brands of GPS doing the same. I'd say 90% of the time my c230 is solid with no movement when stopped, but for some reason every once in a while it'll start rotating. I haven't found it to be a problem. Once moving, it quickly snaps back to the correct orientation.