This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Comments

• patruns 10 Points
    I wouldn't say it slams the unit. More like it has a steep learning curve, which I think another poster has already mentioned. It seems like once you actually learn how to use it it is extemely powerful and feature loaded. Definitely sounds like a trade-up unit for the more experienced.
  • I wouldn't say it slams the unit. More like it has a steep learning curve, which I think another poster has already mentioned. It seems like once you actually learn how to use it it is extemely powerful and feature loaded. Definitely sounds like a trade-up unit for the more experienced.
    That's right. And I'm the one who talked about a number of issues discussed in this review - the synchronization with Outlook for one, and the steep learning curve.

Here, I think that the reviewer was a little bit too quick to pull the trigger, and unable to absorb the paradigm shift - the 310 does not work like a Garmin, or a TomTom for that matter. But, as you pointed out, if one is willing to be patient and to learn how THIS device works instead of looking for the familiar, then it is indeed pretty cool.

The way to terminate a route on the 310 is to press on the jog wheel on the right hand side, and select 'delete route.' I'd be willing to bet that the reviewer didn't even know about the jog wheel quick access to key functions. Humm... It works well, but one has to learn how to use it first! A route is also automatically deleted upon issuing a GO TO command.

Some reviews rate the 310 as atrocious at route recalculations, while others rave about it ... Now, how can that be, how can people have such diametrically opposed views on such a common GPS function? I think I know why: There is a setting on the 310 called 'off-route recalculation' which can be turned ON or OFF - the latter would be used when going hiking, off road, in order to avoid the constant nagging 'route recalculation' reminder. But, if one forgets to turn this setting back ON, then route recalculations won't work. This setting will also automatically be turned OFF whenever you choose a route starting point OTHER than your current location (e.g., when doing route planning.) But then again, if one forgets to turn it back ON, route recalculation will NOT work.

There are weaknesses with the 310, which I've mentionned in other posts, in other threads ... but none that cannot be corrected with a firmware update, and I'm hopeful that HP will deliver on all points brought to their attention.

There are some pretty good reviews out there, that are right on the mark with the +'s and -'s, but this ain't one of them unfortunately.

We must have about 5 threads going on the 310 - it'd be nice if all this could be consolidated somehow.

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
  • I thought it appeared obvious the the reviewer did not take the time to learn how to work the 310. I think it was a case of the gadget being smarter than the reviewer. I am impatiently awaiting Tim's review of this device.

Travis
  • infama 0 Points
    Unc,

This is why I brought this review to your attention. To me they were scathing in their conclusion and I had been put straight by you before.
  • tomj03 0 Points
    If you look at his recommendation in the Conclusion ... is there any surprise there ?
    Another G foot kisser. :(
  • @Infama - Yeah, it's not a very good review. It's right on the money regarding the synchronization with Outlook, but the rest leaves a lot to be desired, not to mention that they left out some of the real issues.

In the GPS Features para., they talk about voice commands - there is no voice command on the 310! They were unable to figure out out to add music, videos, pictures ... They were unable to figure out to use the dashboard adhesive disk ... And by all evidence, they were unable to figure out how to do route recalculations and how to delete a route. Well, to be fair, they were ABLE to open the box and turn it on .... :wink:

He/she obviously didn't read the User Manual - you can load all media anywhere on the 310, in Memory, or on SD card; you choose to create directories on your desktop as you see fit, to categorize your records between pictures, videos, etc., with sub-directories within each. Once this is done, on the 310, you select Setttings, Media Directories and then select which directories you're interested in playing/viewing; and only those will be scanned to populate your current media session. It's pretty neat. But as I said earlier, one must first take the time to understand how the device works to appreciate it.

Perhaps they should concentrate their reviews on Toys-R-Us items, what do you think? Or they could always join Bonnie Cha at CNET and do reviews for them, they'd do just fine! :lol:

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
  • @TomJ3 - Yes, I know what you mean. But look, I'm for one readily admit that a Garmin 350, or any Garmin for that matter, is easier to use than the 310. But the price to pay for more functionality and flexibility is a little more complexity. Anyone who comes to the 310 with the anticipation of finding the same interface/functionality/simplicity as with their Garmin 2xx or 3xx, they're in for a shock.

Take the Media Directories for example - yes, it took be a little while to figure out how they work but once I did, wow, what a fantastic tool this is - I have over 1000 records on SD card, split between videos, pictures and mp3's, spread over 16 sub-directories. I can go in and select one record, a whole folder or folder(s) or the entire card - and only the directories that I selected will be scanned for playing when I rund the Entertainment application. Once you learn how to use it, it's great!

Enough, I'm rambling ... comes with age!

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
  • Tim 1470 Points
    I guess I've got to get cracking and finish my review... :)
  • I guess I've got to get cracking and finish my review... Smile

Yes Tim...we are all checking every day to see if it has been done.
  • tomj03 0 Points
    But look, I'm for one readily admit that a Garmin 350, or any Garmin for that matter, is easier to use than the 310.
    If it's too complicated for them, so why didn't they abstain ? I am tired of 'reviewers' that are not qualified to do the job, talking nonsenses to boot. :evil:
  • Tomj03: Agreed but that being said, I also believe in free speech. They voiced an opinion, it's up to end users to form their own and rate the site accordingly. This site here for example receives high scores all the time and for just cause, Tim is doing a fantastic job.

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
  • @TIM - If you haven't registered yet at ipaq.com, please do and download the 78-page 310 manual - much better than the documentation that came in the box (both in print and on the CD.)

Cheers!
  • Tim 1470 Points
    I'll look for the manual if I need it. :)
  • I'll look for the manual if I need it. :)
    Hurry up with your review. Some of us are chomping at the bit!

:lol:
  • @Infama - It is going to take a long long time, I'm afraid.

Why? Simple - he's not looking at the manual! :P :P :P :P
  • @Infama - It is going to take a long long time, I'm afraid.

Why? Simple - he's not looking at the manual! :P :P :P :P
    Hahahahahahahahah.

Dem's fighting words!
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    I think the obvious thing you can take from the review is that it;s not for the timid. Apparently makes even the TomTom interface look as vanilla as a Garmin. I think that HP's issue in taking this mainstream is in working with the interface and menu structure to make it usable (simply!) out of the box. Once they have you hooked and comfortatable, many users will then be willing to start working with some of the advanced features and customization. I suspect that this unit will even be daunting to Infama, who I know likes a challenge and to "tinker" with settings. With little or no familiarity with typical GPS functions and needs, the average user is going to give up on this unit as designed, just as the reviewer did.
  • Tim 1470 Points
    I've got 275 miles to go.... Just try to figure out what I mean by that. You will see the review this week.
  • I think the obvious thing you can take from the review is that it;s not for the timid. Apparently makes even the TomTom interface look as vanilla as a Garmin. I think that HP's issue in taking this mainstream is in working with the interface and menu structure to make it usable (simply!) out of the box. Once they have you hooked and comfortatable, many users will then be willing to start working with some of the advanced features and customization. I suspect that this unit will even be daunting to Infama, who I know likes a challenge and to "tinker" with settings. With little or no familiarity with typical GPS functions and needs, the average user is going to give up on this unit as designed, just as the reviewer did.
    Daunting??? Pah, I probably wont even need the manual. LoL
  • @Infama - Agreed, I don't think you'll have any problems with the 310.

@Gatorguy - I don't agree. I have seen good and bad reviews ... this one here is just about as bad as they come. I don't think too many people would give up on this device, 'just as the reviewer did' after one day! I think most people who look at the specs will buy this device with a lot of interest and stick with it, like I did, even if it means a little bit of frustration at the beginning. So while I agree with you that this device is not for the timid, it is nevertheless not beyond anyone's reach if one is willing to learn how to use it. The reviewer didn't - that's about the only thing that's obvious in that review.

Cheers!

Happy Clicks! Drive Safe!
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Uncle Ben, are you forgetting how Americans like "immediate gratification"? Put the HP, any Garmin and any TomTom in front of 20 novice potential buyers and what's going to happen? The HP is going to look great, but by the end of the day, they're all buying Garmins and TomTom's. My point is that I believe HP should set these up to be ready to use out of the box. Save all the customization for AFTER the buyer is familiar with the basic operation. Not saying it's not a great device. I plan on looking at one myself.
  • Uncle Ben, are you forgetting how Americans like "immediate gratification"? Put the HP, any Garmin and any TomTom in front of 20 novice potential buyers and what's going to happen? The HP is going to look great, but by the end of the day, they're all buying Garmins and TomTom's. My point is that I believe HP should set these up to be ready to use out of the box. Save all the customization for AFTER the buyer is familiar with the basic operation. Not saying it's not a great device. I plan on looking at one myself.
    OK, well let's not get overly argumentative about this. We can both make suppositions and extrapolations and we'll still be here arguing until there is no pie left, and I'm getting really tired peeling those darn apples, I'll tell ya!

So, if your arugment is that TomTom and Garmin will continue to outsell HP, there is no contest, no argument whatsoever. The HP, incidentally, is ready to use right out of the box, after you get a full battery charge, which in my case took about 20 minutes or so. And I used it that very same day!

So it's not like you can't use it right out of the box ... but it takes a while to learn all its settings and intricacy.

Yes, I know all about instant gratification and while I don't want to knock it down, I also know that a long period of foreplay can lead to so much more! :P :twisted: That's what the 310 is all about, just like Bea's apple pie - it takes a long time to prepare, but man is it ever good!

Happy ClickClicks! Drive Safe!
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    AHHH! I understand now! :lol: :lol:

Excellent analogy!
  • It's really hard to please everybody ! :(

• The HP, incidentally, is ready to use right out of the box, after you get a full battery charge, which in my case took about 20 minutes or so. And I used it that very same day!

So it's not like you can't use it right out of the box ... but it takes a while to learn all its settings and intricacy.
    My next door neighbor just purchased the 310 this week. He had a Garmin 660. He called me over and we set a couple of destinations to see how it worked. Did not read the manual just charged it up, when the main menu came up he hit "Navigation" entered his destinations and away we went. In both cases it took us right to the door. This was out of the box! However there are many, many features with this unit that will require some fiddling or manual reading to acquire some knowledge. The POI data base is phenomenal!! :shock: The screen is DVD quality and the sound we found to be more than adequate.

Can't wait to hear what Tim has to say.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Well then I'm looking forward to Imfama sending me his NEW 310 for me to play with when he's done. (Are you listening Infama? No sense for BOTH of our wive's to be put out with us) :lol:
  • Well then I'm looking forward to Imfama sending me his NEW 310 for me to play with when he's done. (Are you listening Infama? No sense for BOTH of our wive's to be put out with us) :lol:
    Hahahahaaha

It may be too hard to pry away my new "baby". Best hunker down on Fridays to look for the usual Amazon Bargain, to avoid a verrrryyy long wait.

Who needs lunch for a month! LoL
  • Tim 1470 Points
    At long last, our HP iPAQ 310 Review.