Navigon 5100

mell0w 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Hey everyone!

I was hoping you guys could help me choose a GPS. I have no prior knowledge to these devices. I've only use the GPS on my blackberry.

I few of my friends have TomToms and have been adament about its great quality.

But I found the Navigon 5100 on sale this week for $300, and thought that the free traffic subscription was worth it. I've read that the interface is a little fussy, but i have no idea what the means nor an idea of how another device would work.

Please help!

Comments

• Tim 1297 Points
    There is some good conversation on that device here, here, and here.
  • But I found the Navigon 5100 on sale this week for $300, and thought that the free traffic subscription was worth it. I've read that the interface is a little fussy, but i have no idea what the means nor an idea of how another device would work.
    We got the 7100 for 350, so you should be able to find the 5100 for even less. The 2100 has dropped all the way down to 149, and that INCLUDES the free TMC traffic (which is not normally included with the 2100). As far as the screen goes, some of the fonts are a little small, BUT the cool thing about the 5100, that even the 7100 can't do, is to see your screen in both portrait and landscape modes. Also, Navigon will be coming out with a new update soon so any routing issues will be fixed. We have not seen any routing issues in our 7100 so it may just be regional, or the people using these devices may have it set up wrong in preferences. We've seen the 5100 as low as 199 when it's on sale. In March they are opening up a new section of their website, as well as introducing new models like the 8110, so I wouldn't be surprised to see additional price cuts at that time. They are now the fastest growing GPS company and they want to keep that momentum up, so look for future rebates and price cuts like they had a few months ago.
  • The 2100 has dropped all the way down to 149, and that INCLUDES the free TMC traffic (which is not normally included with the 2100).They are now the fastest growing GPS company and they want to keep that momentum up, so look for future rebates and price cuts like they had a few months ago.
    I did manage to get a 25 dollar rebate on top of the 149 plus Traffic card.

Even looking at their website, you can tell that they are a changing! This I like, seems like they are definitely going to be a top contender.

Of all three models, granted the 7100 has the larger screen but it seems like you were giving props to the 5100, can the 2100 see "both portrait and landscape modes" ?

It did not really seem advantageous to choose the 5100 when I was getting the traffic card free with the 2100?

TIA
  • can the 2100 see "both portrait and landscape modes" ?
    As far as I know only the 5100 has this unique feature.
  • I'm in Toronto, so that might be where the price difference lies...

Thanks for the info...maybe I'll wait till march to try out the Navigon. Can't wait to see what they have next.

I think I was most reluctant, because I was too sure how strong the NAVIGON brand was.
  • rickhorn 0 Points
    im in toronto too. yesterday i bought a navigon 5100 $249 @ Futureshop. pretty good deal. now im downloading upgrade software from its website. so far so good will use it today for a 200 km travel.