This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuviphone

Comments

• Will it cost me an arm or a leg?
    oh what the heck.......... body part for trade! :D
  • Kev26 0 Points
    Just when I was narrowing my next GPS to the Nuvi 7xx or 8xx they have to throw this into the mix. From the teaser pics I've seen it looks very interesting. Damn you Garmin.

Edit - my first post, whoo hoo.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I'm glad they finally updated the IQue 3600!!! :wink:

3rd Qtr 2008 - I know what I want Santa to bring me this year!
  • Maybe they ought to concentrate on getting the thing to boot up properly first. :roll:
  • Maybe they ought to concentrate on getting the thing to boot up properly first. :roll:
    I'm with you there OnDaRoad!
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    OnDaRoad - I see you are in FoxNancy32. FN10 here. Maidenhead grid sure came in handy when working mobile on the Magic Band. One small reason to hang on to the oldies but goodies. :)

I also do not understand your comment on the booting - of the nuviphone?? Please explain.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GPSIII, GPSIII+, Rino 120s, SPIII, IQue3600, SP2610, GPS10, SP2730, nüvi 680, MIO C320 (the Navigon 7100, TT920 & Panasonic Strada went back!)
    "I took the road less traveled, now where the hell am I?"...."How should I know - you wouldn't let me recalculate!!"
  • Sweet phone, but Apple is sure to sue.

This is an iPhone clone in terms of case appearance and GUI.
    It could be a winner for Garmin if priced right, ie should be $900 or less for NAmer and $1050 or less for bi-contintenal mapping. This is without phone contracts, of course! Contracts should shave $400 off the price.

I also think the iPhone will be GPS enabled soon as well...and I wonder what softare will be chosen, Navigon's, Magellan's,TT's or another?

Here is a good article with pix:
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/garmin-announce-nuvifone-a1101.php
  • Yo Spyder63! I've worked FN10 in the contests on 6,2, and 70cm. The funny thing is, you can set Maidenhead Grid coordinants on the Mapsource software, but you can't port it to the nuvi's!

I was referring to the slow start times being experienced by some nuvi 7xx owners. I think the fix is in though with the 2.60 unit software that was just released. I've updated mine and am now letting it get "cold" to see how it does upon startup.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I also think the iPhone will be GPS enabled soon as well...and I wonder what softare will be chosen, Navigon's, Magellan's,TT's or another?
    TeleNav?
  • REM 0 Points
    will it be GSM or CMDA? I'd love it if Verizon wireless would carry it.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    It *looks* like it will be GSM.
  • infama 0 Points
    edited February 2008
    Next questions:

What are in innards of the nuviPhone?

Separate graphics processor, accelerometer for auto phone answering like iPhone, 600+mhz dual core processor, Sirf or Garmin receiver, how much flash memory and RAM???
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I'm not sure those details are worked out yet.
  • I'm not sure those details are worked out yet.
    LoL

So you havent taken a prototype apart yet??
  • GODMODE 0 Points
    Apple isnt going to be suing Garmin - and if they do, nothig will happen.

There are dozens of Apple iphone ripoffs that are DIRECT copies comng from China. End of story. There are things to consider:

The nuvifone isnt trying to be an ipod, and the iphone isn't (and cant) trying to be a GPS. At best, the iphone will be GPS enabled, but will not be a GPS.. it will be for location based services (aGPS).

There are only so many ways to make a virtual touch screen keyboard. Like with all in one computers like the imac, and apple lost all those battles... including their OS battle with MS.

Done deal.
  • Spazmogen 0 Points
    Sorry to bring back an old thread.

Is there any information as of yet, whether the Nuvifone is a normal GPS or is it aGPS (assisted GPS like the iPhone) ?

I am REALLY looking forward to the Nuvifone. I have a Blackberry 7290 now, and opted to pass the iPhone by and go with Garmin when it becomes available.
  • alokeprasad 102 Points
    I hope it is GSM, has Exchange Activesync, and A2DP Bluetooth profile.
  • Tabs 0 Points

There are dozens of Apple iphone ripoffs that are DIRECT copies comng from China. End of story.
    That's not really a good argument actually - China has almost no laws on international patents and copyrights, that's why they get away with reverse engineering and copying stuff. It's very difficult for a US company to successfully sue a Chinese one for something like this.
  • Spazmogen 0 Points
    ...3rd Qtr 2008 - I know what I want Santa to bring me this year!
    It will be available long before then.

From Garmin's Investor Relations page: http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGarmin/invRelations/faq.html
    Q. When do fiscal quarters end?
    A. Garmin's fiscal quarters follow a 13-week schedule to coincide with our manufacturing schedule. Thus, our 2008 fiscal quarters will end on March 29, June 28, September 27, and December 27.
    The rest of us will have them in hand posting about them for 2 months before Santa makes his delivery. 8)
  • Tim 1481 Points
    That was what they initially said.... Now it is predicted by the end of Q4.
  • Spazmogen 0 Points
    I'd head that too, yet stumbled across an article where Garmin refuted the delays but it was dated in mid-may. Anything to keep the share prices up I guess.

Personally, I hope they take their time and get it right then launch it.

I am seriously looking forward to this to replace my ageing Blackberry.

All of the articles that indicate a Q4 release all point to a Digitimes article, which mentions ASUS, and unnamed "industry sources".

I've sent an email to Garmin seeking clarification as their website still says Q3.
  • MtnHermit 0 Points
    While there will undoubtedly be advantages and disadvantages to either approach (a phone with full GPS versus a full GPS with phone) being first to the market is rarely a bad thing.
    Amen

Got to believe Nokia is hot on this, given their repeated comments and ponying up $6B for Navteq.
  • Blue Flame 91 Points
    OnDaRoad - I see you are in FoxNancy32. FN10 here. Maidenhead grid sure came in handy when working mobile on the Magic Band. One small reason to hang on to the oldies but goodies. )

HAM's, Six meters?
    Me CM86/96/97...

I also do not understand your comment on the booting - of the nuviphone?? Please explain.

I do...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GPSIII, GPSIII+, Rino 120s, SPIII, IQue3600, SP2610, GPS10, SP2730, nüvi 680, MIO C320 (the Navigon 7100, TT920 & Panasonic Strada went back!)
    "I took the road less traveled, now where the hell am I?"...."How should I know - you wouldn't let me recalculate!!"
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Personally I'm rather skeptical that this product will ever make it to market. The smartphone area is really tough, and they're late to the party. I know it seems like a good idea, but not sure if it can compete as a telephone.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I'm especially concerned because what was supposed to come out in Q3 of 2008 now is destined for the "first half" of 2009. I mean if they thought it would come out in March they would have said "Q1" 2009... The fact that they didn't say that leads me to believe it won't be here until at least April, at least seven months behind schedule.

And let's hope that thing is running Linux and not the Garmin OS for at least a chance of extending its capabilities beyond what you get in the box. Apple learned with the iPhone and Garmin will have even longer of a catch-up to do.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    When Garmin says something like "2nd quarter" it usually means the END of the second quarter from my experience. So by saying "first half of 2009" I suspect that means it will be almost a year before this product hits the shelves.

And that's why I'm starting to view the NuviPhone as "vaporware". A lot can happen between now and then. We'll no doubt have another one or even two generations of iPhones for example.

And the photos I've seen make this look like a BIG cellphone. Not sure how popular that will be - definitely bucking the trend. But aside from that, I don't really feel much need to combine the functions of a cellphone and an auto GPS. Maybe that's just me though...
  • Tim 1481 Points
    It won't actually be that big... some reason the photos do make it look huge. But it is almost identical to the size of the iPhone.
  • Blue Flame 91 Points
    Biger is not bad. The i-pone is too small.

My concerns are;
    1) Dont lock up like Nuvi's...
    2) Has Vary good sound (analog) quality!
    3) Is technology independent (CDMA, G3, GSM - dont mater) I need CDMA.
    4) Bluetooth enabled.
    5) Has external antenna connections
    6) Has an elegant docking apparatuses (with charging power; optional antennas, mic and speaker).
    7) Has a electronic compass, so my car will stop spinning when I park!
    8) When I flip the phone vertical, so dose the map!
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I doubt if 3, 5, and 7 will happen.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I kind of doubt the compass too, but this video shows the map rotating between landscape and portrait modes: http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?video_id=YtD4USzpoLI

Sure looks bigger than an iPhone to me in that video.
  • Blue Flame 91 Points
    I doubt if 3, 5, and 7 will happen.
    Well, Most places I drive, or go, if you done have an antenna you dont have good service...
  • Spazmogen 0 Points
    I am sorely disappointed in Garmin on this. So is the market. Gamin shares took it on the nose.

Garmin chose to add the Nuvifone Update in their Q2 2008 Earnings Report. http://www8.garmin.com/aboutGarmin/invRelations/releases/Q22008EarningsPressRelease.pdf
    Nüvifone Update
    The nüvifone will not be available in fourth quarter as previously announced. While we had hoped to have carrier launches in the fourth quarter, we have found that meeting some of the carrier specific requirements will take longer than anticipated. We remain pleased with carrier interest in the device and are working toward making necessary design changes to meet their requirements. We anticipate launching the product during the first half of 2009.
    For me, it makes my decision between Blackberry Bold and Nuvifone an easy one.

Gee, do you think the providers are demanding a carrier lock built into the code before they will subsidize it?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    As a suggestion take a look at the Palm Treo 800 as well before you make a final decision.
  • Be prepaired to continly replace the Treo, thay have problems...
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    The new Treo800? I had heard the older ones did have "durability" issues. Thanks, didn't know the new one was a problem-child as well. Just looks like they did such a nice integration w/gps.
  • I assume, that the 800 will be the same...
  • I've had the Treo 300, 600, 650 and 700, and my wife has had the 650 and 755. I'm a hardcore nerd user, and we haven't had any durability issues. Of course YMMV.
  • WOW. You the first person, EVER, I've met who's had good luck with Treos, EVER!!!!!!
  • HappyFunBoater 0 Points
    edited August 2008
    I certainly know people that have had trouble with their Treos, but I chalked it up to heavy usage. They were the corporate phone in my last job and were used constantly, dropped alot, etc. The only one that ever failed for me was soaked with a hose - and it still kind of worked once it dried out.

But like I said earlier, your mileage may very. I won't claim that the phones are flawless for everyone.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I had a treo for a couple of years and it was generally a great phone.
  • My preferences:
    Nuvifone
    BlackBerry Bold 9000

Neither are available. :?

I currently have a BlackBerry 7290. It just wont die! Solid build and easy to use OS.
  • Well where I live, if you want a cool phone, it's AT&T (I cant stand them); Or, if you want reliable cell service, it's Verizion, with less relabel phones...
    Also, no antenna (a pull up, or bump on the top of the phone), means no reliable cell service...