This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom One: Sufficient memory for map upgrade?

abdriver 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Hi

I'm looking at a TomTom One because it's similarly priced (in Canada) to the Garmin StreetPilot C330 and seems to have more features. Would you agree with that?

However I am concerned about map quality. I've read your excellent article comparing navteq and tele atlas - and I see TomTom has extended its free map upgrade to June 15, 2007.

My question: I read (in a comment to a CNET review) that the map upgrade requires more than 1GB of space and that the TomTom One only has 1GB of space. Therefore it can't use all the map features. Is this true? Can it still store the maps, but just not use special features?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

By the way, this is a great site. I'll recommend it to anyone looking for GPS navigators.

Comments

• Tim 1479 Points
    Yes, the TomTom ONE comes with more routing features, a smaller size, and a better GPS chipset than what comes with the c330.

I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with disk space and the map upgrade. Most of the TomTom ONE devices that I've seen come off store shelves in the past few months have had the new map update in them already. Sometime back as far as January I think I grabbed a TomTom ONE off a store shelf which already had the newer maps installed on it.

They come on a 1GB card so it could be that the person had loaded additional POI files, additional voices, etc that might have impacted how much free space they have on their card. I haven't performed the map update myself so I can't be 100% certain, but the new maps are shipping with devices on a 1GB card.
  • abdriver 0 Points
    Wow, thanks for the light speed response, Tim. It sounds like it shouldn't be a problem.

I do have one other question: Have you heard of any problems with TomTom's map performance in Canada?

Reason I ask, is the guy at Best Buy said TomTom didn't perform well in rural Quebec. I can't see why that would be the case, and thought maybe it was related to the older maps, which now should have been upgraded.

Thanks again Tim!
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Yes, I have heard complaints from people about the Tele Atlas maps in Canada. Of course I've also heard complaints from people about the NAVTEQ data in Canada so I really don't have any scientific data either way.

I recall talking to one person who said the maps in his area (Toronto I think) he felt were more accurate before the map update.... but that is difficult to make sense of.

I talked to another person who had a TomTom RIDER. What is interesting here is that the RIDER originally shipped with NAVTEQ maps so his device was effectively updated from the NAVTEQ maps to the new Tele Atlas maps. He said he saw a huge improvement.

Still others were generally pleased with the map update in their area of Canada.

Incidentally, I was at one of the Tele Atlas offices recently and got a tour. At the time most of the people there were working on roads in Quebec. Not that it would make much difference to you right now, but I figure I'd mention it.
  • abdriver 0 Points
    Incidentally, I was at one of the Tele Atlas offices recently and got a tour. At the time most of the people there were working on roads in Quebec. Not that it would make much difference to you right now, but I figure I'd mention it.
    Very interesting. Maybe that indicates problems in Quebec, but that they're working on it.

Anecdotally you might be interested to know that I spoke to a cab driver who'd used TomTom One for three weeks in and around Montreal and he had no problems, including reaching our building, which is only three years old. But then, that's not rural Quebec.

I assume future map updates would still be provided to the TomTom One and other products? Is that how it generally works in the industry? Map updates are rolled out to all major product lines?
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Based on how they work on maps I would say it was probably coincidence they were working on Quebec maps at the time. I talked with a couple out of hundreds of cartographers. I wouldn't think it was indicative of any issue.

The GPS companies typically get map updates from their map suppliers quarterly. Historically they have released map updates to customers on an annual basis, and they typically charge $35-$100. However I see this type of cycle changing in the future, perhaps providing more updates more often with reduced prices or subscription prices that match what the old annual updates.

That is largely speculation on my part and might not happen for a year or so (maybe not at all). But the GPS companies are trying to figure out how to get fresher maps out to customers with a greater frequency.