This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom Maps

hardliner 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I am wondering if I were to backup a SD card for a TomTom 510 or 910, copy the data over to a blank 2 Gig SD card, could that SD card be used in a TomTom One.

I work for a local electronics retailer and I sold 2 TomTom One's earlier and one of them is missing a SD card and I am looking for the easiest way to replace the missing SD card.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Tim 1479 Points
    I'm not 100% certain. I suspect it might work, but there are a couple of potential catches. The first is copy protection of the maps themselves, but I think you might be okay there. The second issue is that the TomTom ONE only comes with a 1GB SD card and I've never verified that it can read larger cards although I suspect 2GB would work fine but a 4 GB would more likely cause an issue. And of course the third issue is the potential breaking of a license agreement by making and using a copy.

Since you are a retailer why not contact your distributor for a replacement?
  • I'm not 100% certain. I suspect it might work, but there are a couple of potential catches. The first is copy protection of the maps themselves, but I think you might be okay there. The second issue is that the TomTom ONE only comes with a 1GB SD card and I've never verified that it can read larger cards although I suspect 2GB would work fine but a 4 GB would more likely cause an issue. And of course the third issue is the potential breaking of a license agreement by making and using a copy.

Since you are a retailer why not contact your distributor for a replacement?
    Because the distributor would want to ship her a new card and this customer is traveling in an RV and I'd could correct this issue in a day.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    A couple of other things came to mind. The SD card contains not only the maps, but also the application itself and the POIs. The maps might transfer fine. I'd be worried that the application from a 510/910 is different than that of the ONE. I can see this by examining a ONE and a 510 I have here. The new application might not work altogether, or might produce crashes or other bad results.

Also the POI files are probably different between the two. There is more room for POIs and maps on the 910 therefore they might have added a different POI set due to the additional space.

I've gone back through some notes and I think I've come across where someone said they transferred maps from one device to another, but the same might not be said for the application data which is also stored on the card.
  • leftpeg 0 Points
    I was just wondering if she had the new release of the ONE. I just bought one a few days ago, and it no longer comes with an SD card, the maps are stored internally. It's slightly confusing because on the packing list it still mentions the SD card, but with an asterisk noting that not all units ship with an SD card.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    That is possible. More and more of those are starting to hit store shelves now.