This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Multiple maps for different countries?

jeffk 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
Firstly, apologies if this is an FAQ, and for the long post, but am after some info.

I'm a long time TomTom user, and having decided to buy a newer device, thought I should re-check the vendors to see if TomTom was still best for me. I have a Go 500 with Europe, US and Australian maps (The areas I travel to regularly) and need to replicate this functionality as a minimum on a new device.

In addition, it would also be nice to get topo and off-road maps on the same device (Though I only need these for Australia where I live).

As Magellan list some very nice topo and track type maps, I thought I'd start there....so, while out in the US on business, I bought a Maestro 4250 just to play with and see what it could do. The lack of reference to adding or managing maps in the UI and accompanied software worried me, so I called support to ask a few questions, and was amazed at the repsonse I got - that NO Magellan in-car units can have maps from multiple countries loaded, and can only be used with maps for the countries in whcih they were purchases! Coming from the TomTom world, this was quite alien to me!

Is this true, and is there really no Magellan device that can load multiple country maps (and types of maps - Topo vs street vs track - for a country) on the device at the same time allowing me to switch between them?

Many thanks in advance for those still with me after all that! :wink:

Jeff

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Not true of all of their models, but certainly true of the vast majority of the recent models. Some of them a couple of years ago came pre-loaded with maps of North America and Europe, although you did need to purchase an unlock code to access the additional maps.
  • jeffk 0 Points
    Not true of all of their models, but certainly true of the vast majority of the recent models. Some of them a couple of years ago came pre-loaded with maps of North America and Europe, although you did need to purchase an unlock code to access the additional maps.
    Wow, thanks for confirming! I must confess I fail to understand the reason for specifically not allowing other maps to be purchased and loaded on (As Magellan suggested was the case) what are relatively high-end devices presumably used by at least some people who do travel internationally, but maybe it's just me!! :)

Any ideas what models do support this, as Magellan told me none did!
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I believe the Magellan RoadMate 700, 760, 800, and 860T came with both North America and Europe mapping, with only one of those map sets unlocked and then you would purchase an unlock code to access the other set.