This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Pedestrian mode. [HP]

infama 0 Points
What a big mistake to disable Pedestrian mode!

Given that the device has the ability to lock the screen and to diable the snap to read feature, this unit is a natural for city/country walking.

The only draw back is the limited battery life. However, since cheap spare batteries are available on the Internet for $15 if I rememeber right, this is no real limitation. I guess when I get more familiar, i will have to do the hack to restore this. I just wish HP will rush to make the Device Recovery Pack available on their website.

This device uis nice and compact. Significantly smaller than the TT 920 (which is not that big in the first place), the HP is quite an attractive unit, though the TT is a bit prettier.

Comments

• About the battery, bear in mind that you have to be connected to a power source before you replace the battery, or else you lose all your data.
  • About the battery, bear in mind that you have to be connected to a power source before you replace the battery, or else you lose all your data.
    OK, good tip.

However, why does the box say that there is a coint type NiHydride battery in the unit, along with the Li-Ion battery?

I thought this was to protect data during battery swaps???
  • Sounds like HP just couldn't let go of the old CMOS battery........ :wink:

OK, good tip.

However, why does the box say that there is a coint type NiHydride battery in the unit, along with the Li-Ion battery?

Well, that's good news indeed ... don't see the Li-Ion mentioned any where on my box - where do you see that exactly?

OK, good tip.

Well, that's good news indeed ... don't see the Li-Ion mentioned any where on my box - where do you see that exactly?
    On the box, where the sticker for the serial number/Prod. number is: it says Product of China and then below that it says "Contains Li-ion and coin cell Ni-MH batteries. Recycle or dispose of properly".

Funny thing about the box...the dominant colour is RED. For me, HP traditionally was BLUE. This device must be more Compaq than HP in its DNA. LoL
  • Yeah, there it is all right. They don't talk about it anywhere else though, so I wonder if this is a remnant of the 5000 series? Moreover, wouldn't a hard reset require the removal of both batteries? If there is a coin cell, you can't get to it unless you break the thing open!
  • Yeah, there it is all right. They don't talk about it anywhere else though, so I wonder if this is a remnant of the 5000 series? Moreover, wouldn't a hard reset require the removal of both batteries? If there is a coin cell, you can't get to it unless you break the thing open!
    Not really,

the coin could be just preserving certain critical memory/data and protect that info from the hard reset.

Have you tried to change batteries unconnected and verify that all settings are lost?
  • No, I haven't tried because there is too much to lose and I don't want to waste the 1/2 hour to 45min. to restore. The coin cell is not mentioned any where else, you know. Nothing about it in the manual. No reference on the box other than that label.
  • @Infama: "Have you tried to change batteries unconnected and verify that all settings are lost?" I just did, everything is still there! :wink:
  • @Infama: "Have you tried to change batteries unconnected and verify that all settings are lost?" I just did, everything is still there! :wink:
    Great.

The coin is in effect.

That means that the unit can go on 6 hour hikes when Ped mode is restored. Just hot swap batteries when they run out.

One point for the iPaq.

BTW, since I dont have viable maps yet, i am limited in my testing.
  • I get more than 3 hours with Smart Power Save. The other thing to is that in PED mode, in most cases, you really don't have to have the GPS turned ON all the time...but just when you want to confirm your position or when confronted with a choice of directions. Well, that has been my experience any way. So with a full charge and a spare, I'm good for days! :wink: