This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Comments

• Very interesting read in the comments section of the mobilitysite review!
  • Tim 1470 Points
    So infama, when do we get to publish your review? ;)
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Tim, there's only so many hours in the day! I think he's deep in the manual as we post.
  • So infama, when do we get to publish your review? ;)
    Actually,

I will be in "training" mode for a while. I do need to use the manual, especially because I will do some mods. Dont forget its a 310 with US only maps, so I cant get full functionality yet. I await HP and their Europe maps on SD card, or if that is not forthcoming, I will have to see if iGo8 maps will work.

This is my hobby unit and so far it is all that. Bewildering amount of functionality, much more than the elegantly simple Garmins and TomToms,. Heck, these iGo8 devices make TomTom seem dumbed down! LoL

Truth is, I am also coming to grips with Windows (CE 5.0 in this case) as I am more a Mac person now. However, it takes PPC skills to mod these units and I have done half the work already to re-establish PED mode, HOV lane routing, volume boost and speed warnings! Just need to learn all the basic of the stock machine before I make any changes. The mod files are ready and waiting, however. One interesting thing I have seen on-line is a guy modding TT TTS to make them compatible with iGo8. I wish this would work for the HP, as TT TTS is the best in the bizniz.

Indications are that HP is about to deliver SOMETHING. Content Mngr is now off-line, so something ic cooking.

As for my impressions so far with admittedly limited exposure...this device raises the intrigue/interest level. It is very fascinating and involving, what with the many "wow" factors and the packed feature set. The unit is very well built and is attractive, just slightly less dashing than the 920. Sat reception is about the same or maybe a bit better. Hard to tell, as the TT defaults to EPT easily. The speaker is plenty loud, 2 shades below the TT, but I guess the problem is with the TTS recording frequency. I saw this post online: "high-quality TTS voices that were adapted from TomTom v7. I believe they are 32kHz version which is better the 11.6kHz version that comes with iGo8."

The only annoyance factor is the on/off switch. Not as bad as I expected given user reviews, but its still very poorly implemented. In principle, the fix should be simple.

My 5 or 6 key recommendations still stand. 1) Fix the on/off logic
    2) Make other maps available 3) Make TMC available
    4) Restore original iGo functionality like PED routing, Carpool lane routing, etc
    5)Increase TTS volume/quality
    6)Make the factory default Restore pack available (so modders can fix any screw-ups and they can lower their cust service costs.

In summary, I am jazzed by the unit. It is less robust than the LINUX based TT (the iPAQ HATES Macs) but it is a smooth operator.

I will let you know more when I get maore experience.

As an aside, since you called me out. I will return the favour. WHERE is my prize? Whatever it is. LoL
  • Tim 1470 Points
    Prize is coming, don't you worry. :)
  • LoL

I am not worried...just being a troublemaker.
    Heheheheh
  • infama, i will wait for your review, i'm quite interested with the mods that can be done on the unit. i think the hp ipaq can be very versatile, and can wow those techies that are trying to maximize the unit's potential.
  • infama, i will wait for your review, i'm quite interested with the mods that can be done on the unit. i think the hp ipaq can be very versatile, and can wow those techies that are trying to maximize the unit's potential.
    No need to wait.

Go to this thread at gpspassion. 35 pages of modification discussions. One Russian guy recently got a wifi card to work and showed pictures of the iPaq surfing the Net.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=71
  • quite interesting!! wow, the possibilities. hp might not be happy with techies playing but i think this would spur their sales. or was this really a strategy. is this really a 'all-in-one' in the making? thanks!!