This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Cannot use my Nuvi while charging in the car!

2»

Comments

• I recently bought a Nuvi 2515 LM. It didn't come with a wall charger only a USB cable; so, the only way to charge the device is through the USB port in the car or computer. Both, make the unit go into data transfer mode, so the device cannot be used while driving. Can anyone help?
  • sussamb 656 Points
    Where did you buy it? It should come with a 12v lead for use in the car, other leads often (as you've found) won't work.
  • t923347 406 Points
    The proper cable for the vehicle is Garmin Part # 010-11838-00. You can see and order it directly from Garmin. Go to this page and click on Accessories and then Cables:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/on-the-road/in-car-sat-navs/previous-models/nuvi-2515/prod97198.html
  • SOLUTION
    I went into a truck stop that deals with long haul truckers... they LIVE by their GPS. He pointed me to a Car adapter that was $9.99 and the specs were: Mini USB output: 4.75V-5.25V/2A. Works perfect.

I have a Nuvi 710 - I think the specs are what makes or breaks the charging and continuous use as most generic chargers max out at 3v/1200mA.
  • dianejflom 0 Points
    Can I use an adapter for using the garmin 2589 in cigarette lighter and one to charge my cell phone at the same time?