This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Any take on the Sony Nav-U NVU83T?

interspace 0 Points
Have also been considering the following:

Nuvi 760
TomTom920
and the soon-to-be-released(?) Nuvi 880...

The larger 4.8" screen size and split screen feature on the Sony seem attractive... Am concerned about how well the routing and bluetooth connection would work. We are located in Vancouver, BC so we can pretty much write off the live traffic feature :-(

Would appreciate comments from anyone with experience on this particular model.

Thanks a lot in advance!
W

Comments

• Tim 1481 Points
    Good conversation about the sony model you mentioned.
  • Interesting (and sad) to read that Sony seemed to have come out with yet another sub-standard product...

Sorry I hadn't browsed through the other parts of the fora before submitting my hasty original post.

Great site and thanks again btw :-)
    W
  • hp 0 Points
    i have had nvu83t for a couple of weeks
    - screen quality and sound quality are the best in market. sound is great even when synching blue tooth cellphone as the unit has god surface area for speaker. big 4.8" screen makes entering numbers and letters a breeze

software is different from others and takes some time getting used to. options for driving conditions are limited. (standard, avoiding tolls and avoiding tolls shortest) there is no clear explanations about what that means ?

gesture control is interesting.. works 80% of time...
    point of intrest is great and extensive.

overall, i will keep it as it does it core job of navigating well with execellent sound quality
  • infama 0 Points
    i have had nvu83t for a couple of weeks
    - screen quality and sound quality are the best in market. sound is great even when synching blue tooth cellphone as the unit has god surface area for speaker. big 4.8" screen makes entering numbers and letters a breeze

software is different from others and takes some time getting used to. options for driving conditions are limited. (standard, avoiding tolls and avoiding tolls shortest) there is no clear explanations about what that means ?

gesture control is interesting.. works 80% of time...
    point of intrest is great and extensive.

overall, i will keep it as it does it core job of navigating well with execellent sound quality
    Interesting that you have the name HP and think that the sony has a better screen than the iPaq 310! LoL
  • Televe 0 Points
    I've just bought the NVU83T and I'm quite pleased with it. I've owned other GPS units for a number of years but this is my first car unit.

How can I obtain different voice data? The supplied options are very limited compared to, say, TomTom's.

Also, how can I obtain map data for another country? I live in California but would like to use the unit in England, for example.
  • infama 0 Points
    I've just bought the NVU83T and I'm quite pleased with it. I've owned other GPS units for a number of years but this is my first car unit.

How can I obtain different voice data? The supplied options are very limited compared to, say, TomTom's.

Also, how can I obtain map data for another country? I live in California but would like to use the unit in England, for example.
    I think Sony pulled out of the European GPS market.
  • Well, two years later and this GPS does not work any better. Last time I turned it on, it gave me a friendly reminder that I should "Update" the map. I went to the Sony site and they want $99 to do so. Fat chance.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Good job on resurrecting a dead thread....and a dead gps?

I don't even know that gps model, but since you are in OKlahoma I would think the maps are still current. :wink: :lol: :lol:

Lots of good new choices of gps units out there these days and some good refurbished models not costing much more than the map update price Sony wants. If you're looking, that is.