This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How to Get MapSource Free From Garmin

2»

Comments

• My data is several years old and really out dated. I've never bought updated maps, because for the most part, the old maps work fine (although the outdated info does occasionally bite me in the butt). At the time, new maps costs more than a new GPS unit.
    Oh, BTW... my old data is "cityselectv401" (dated from 2002 I think). I also have a "NACitySel401" folder that contains lots of smaller IMG files. I'm guessing that these individual smaller IMG files (1MB give ir take) are what would normally get loaded into the GPS units that need them (rather than the massive IMG files already contained with the newer units). Does that make sense?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I think the problem is even more difficult than you realize unfortunately. Your old GPS uses CitySelect as you note. There is an old version of City Navigator which would also work with it, but Garmin has discontinued it just recently. They have announced that users of City Navigator can upgrade through the end of the year, but after that point there will be no upgrade product or path.

Now don't confuse this with City Navigator NT which is very much alive and well, and is what you have on your Nuvi. What is being dropped is support for the "non NT" version of City Navigator.

Sorry, you lost me in the complexity of your first post. :? But I think your only option if you want new(er) maps on your old GPS is to find somebody who still has the old non-NT version of City Navigator in stock. Otherwise, you will need to continue using the old maps you already have.
  • jbnsd 0 Points
    I know this post is really old. Hopefully someone is still using it. When I install the Training Center it installs fine. But when I install the US topo update it says install not found and it just exits with no other options. What am I doing wrong? :P
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    What are you trying to do and why are you installing the US Topo update? Do you already own US Topo or do you just want to install Mapsource by itself? The US Topo update is very old and the changes were trivial as I recall so I doubt that you need it. If you don't already own US Topo, there is no reason to install this update and that is why you're getting the error.

This whole thread is pretty much obsolete today. If you just want to install Mapsource, forget what is written above and follow these simple steps. First, install Basecamp. It is free and should work without the need to install anything else:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

Now stop and think for a minute. Have you used Mapsource before? Do you really need it? Mapsource has been discontinued by Garmin and has been replaced by Basecamp. If you aren't already familiar with it, you may want to forget Mapsource completely and just use Basecamp.

But if you do want Mapsource, simply install it from here and you will be all set. It should install properly as long as Basecamp is installed first:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209
  • jbnsd 0 Points
    First, I have a Dakota 20 which I just bought, not and 'old' unit as someone stated. I was following an message from XopherN71 which turns out to be incorrect information. I sent a Dakota 10 back after I found out Garmin is selling this unit with only 850 mb storage which will not even allow you to put the 1.5 gb file they sell you with the same package. This is obviously **** on Garmins part. I bought a Dakota 20 reconditioned for $150 and a 8 gb card and was easily able to copy the 3.2 gb OSM map for free. It took about 20 minutes to copy it. My Dakota 20 works perfect and I have the entire North America on the card. I didn't need either for those programs to do it and I still have all the 850 mb on the unit plus 4 gb left over space on the card. It was much easier than described. Garmins marketing suck. You don't even get Basecamp or any software with this unit. Their mentality is like selling a car without an engine. It wouldn't be worth buying without OpenStreetMap.
  • I don't suppose they have the mapsource app for the Mac instead of Windows do they ???
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Garmin introduced a program called RoadTrip as a Mac version of Mapsource a number of years ago. Just looked on their site and it doesn't appear to be available anymore, which is no loss because it was slow, buggy and hasn't been updated for a few years.

Garmin now maintains Basecamp on both MacOS and Windows:

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/basecamp

This is what you want to use today on your Mac. Mapsource development has been discontinued and I think we will see it slowly fade away.
  • Garmin introduced a program called RoadTrip as a Mac version of Mapsource a number of years ago. Just looked on their site and it doesn't appear to be available anymore, which is no loss because it was slow, buggy and hasn't been updated for a few years.

Garmin now maintains Basecamp on both MacOS and Windows:

http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/basecamp

This is what you want to use today on your Mac. Mapsource development has been discontinued and I think we will see it slowly fade away.
    Thank you ! :)
  • jbnsd 0 Points
    I bought a Dakota 20 and a 8GB card. I downloaded the OSM North America 3.2GB file and it works fine on the data card in the unit. I thought I saw a reference somewhere on how to access more that the default gmapsupp.img but I can't find it now. I wanted to add a topo for California and be able to switch files. MapSource changes the name of any file you add to gmapsupp.img. Is there a way to do this?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Sure, just manually change the file name to [whatever].img. The Dakota will recognize any map file if it has an .img extension whereas older models require the gmapsupp.img name.

So, for example, you could change gmapsupp.img to OSM.img, then send the California topo. Now rename the new gmapsupp.img to california.img - repeat as needed.
  • jbnsd 0 Points
    I did change the name of the other file and loaded the topo with MapSource. It reads all three maps now. It apparently reads a header file because it shows the original name catopo11 and comments on the unit. So you can name the files anything.img.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Yes, on your model it will display the name of the map that is embedded in the file by the author. The Montana shows this name as well as the name of the file itself. Maybe Garmin will update the Dakota firmware eventually to add this feature?

If this really bothers you though, you can use GMTK to change the internal map name. This program also has some other handy utility functions: http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html
  • jbnsd 0 Points
    Yes, on your model it will display the name of the map that is embedded in the file by the author. The Montana shows this name as well as the name of the file itself. Maybe Garmin will update the Dakota firmware eventually to add this feature?

If this really bothers you though, you can use GMTK to change the internal map name. This program also has some other handy utility functions: http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html
    After a weekend of manipulation I have 4 state topo's CA, AZ, NV & UT plus the 4GB N. America OSM map all working in unison with the default world basemap. They take up 5.5 GB on an 8 GB card. I had one map that kept showing up twice. Not sure why but when I reloaded the maps with the large one last it went away. GMTK is a handy utility. You can change the display name and the file name. Then when you click on the info icon while it's open it will show you the file name you gave it. Many thanks for the tips.

I had a little surprise today when moving icons around a new one called Photo Viewer popped up. When I tried it, it said image not found. I searched the Internet and only found reviews stating that the Oregon had it but the Dakota did not. Not believing this for good reason I searched for the photo directory on the Oregon. Bingo, it's Garmin\JPEG. Sure enough it worked. You can zoon in and out and drag pictures. I'm not sure what good it is without a camera onboard.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I think you'll find that if you load geo-tagged photos you can then select them to navigate to :wink:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I had one map that kept showing up twice. Not sure why but when I reloaded the maps with the large one last it went away.
    There is a known issue with free maps that probably caused this. I won't get into the technical details, but it happens when one of the maps uses a different type of text encoding than the others on your unit.

I never use the photo viewer myself, but know that some people use it to store notes and other information that they scan or snip from screenshots on their computer.
  • jbnsd 0 Points
    The 4GB US map works okay now but because it comes as a single img file I can't modify the internal name or load into Mapsource. I haven't found a way yet. Anyone know if that is possible?

Using photos for geocaching tagging would be one use. I'm not into that though. I'm having a lot of fun learning all the uses and features of it. It is much more than I expected or needed. I only bought it to keep track of my range with an electric scooter I got. It only has led's an no odometer. It's great or a $150 reconditioned unit and I haven't spent a dime on maps.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Realize that Mapsource has been discontinued and is not really compatible with your Oregon, so you should start learning how to use Basecamp. Mapsource cannot open compiled .img files that are used on the GPS itself, it uses multiple little files in a different format.

Basecamp can display this type of file if it's on removable media or the GPS itself while connected. Garmin has set things up such that only their own maps can be accessed in the fashion however. There is a way to make any map file accessible via basecamp, but it involves using a utility named gmaptool that is very powerful but not very user-friendly so don't do this unless you really understand what you're doing. You could really mess things up with gmaptool otherwise.

See this:

https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=108922&postcount=7
  • jbnsd 0 Points
    Unfortunately BaseCamp doesn't like my computer and won't run. Just get an error message. I ran XP SP3 just because I got this GPS. MapSource and GMTK are getting it done fine. Being able to change computer, GPS & folder names plus ID # makes organizing a big help. GMTK is golden for a small utility.

I downloaded all of North America from OSM in 4 files and it is about the same size as the 1 large file. Probably better for a small unit like the Dakota 20. And I'm not going to cross country on an electric scooter. LOL

The routing is crappy on these maps though. I live 1 mile from Seaworld and it gives me a 2.2 mile route. When I route from my place it takes me completely around the block (.5 mi.) and takes the worst possible route. I routed from San Diego to St. Louis and it took me thru 54 in Kansas instead of I44. I've been on 54. It's miles of bumpy two lane thru hell. Nobody in their right mind would drive it if you didn't have to. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    For help troubleshooting Basecamp, visit Garmin's support forum:

https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179

You might also try an older version of Basecamp if that doesn't help:

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/mapsource/

The OSM maps have their origin with the TIGER data files created by the Census Bureau. These maps were made to help census takers and were never intended for use on a gps, let alone for routing on a GPS. I suspect that has something to do with the problem.

I believe you are going to have some issues with Mapsource on your Dakota, but since I haven't used one I can't say for sure. On the other new Garmin devices, waypoints, tracks and routes are stored in multiple files where the previous generation put all of this data in a single file (current.gpx). Mapsource only knows about current.gpx, and therefore will not be able to find most of your data when you use Receive from Device. It will work properly to send data to your Dakota, but not to receive it.
  • As Boyd pointed out, use BaseCamp now. Just follow the tutorials at gpsfiledepot and you'll be all set!
  • hykorn 0 Points
    Here's a trick to getting MapSource, and it works! Best part is, it's right from Garmin with no hacks or cracks.

Download the Training Center:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=835

Install it

Then download the MapSource update:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Install it.

You now have full blown MapSource, enjoy!
    Another way without downloading the redundant training centre is to get 7zip, extract the MapSource_6163.exe and you will see the file MSmain.msi. You can install that directly without the need of training centre.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    First, forget the Training Center thing. This is an old thread and Garmin has changed Training Center so that no longer works.

The best approach now is to download and install Basecamp:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

If you have never used Mapsource before, you could really just stop right there and use Basecamp instead. Mapsource has been discontinued and if you don't already know how to use it, in most cases it isn't going to be worth the effort since Basecamp is Garmin's currently supported program.

Sure, we could argue of details of Mapsource vs Basecamp (I still use Mapsource a lot myself), but most new users should just stick to Basecamp. Also note that Mapsource is not fully compatible with the newer Garmin handhelds (like the Oregon, GPSMap 62, eTrex 20/30 and Montana). It cannot receive waypoints from these devices.

But if you *must* have Mapsource, after you have installed Basecamp just download and install Mapsource. Mission accomplished. No "hacks" needed - Basecamp will place the resources on your system that will allow Mapsource to install.
  • Despite the age of this thread, there is some great info for getting MapSource and/or BaseCamp. So thank you to one and all.

My question: I managed to dig out my eTrex Vista. I plan on using it with topo maps for mountain biking around SW Utah. I managed to get both MapSource and Basecamp installed on my laptop. I know that MapSource works with it but am wondering if Basecamp will? And, lastly, anyone know where I can find any topo mapsets for free download?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Best source (IMO) for free topo maps: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/

Is your Vista one of the old models with a serial interface? If so, you must use Mapsource. Basecamp doesn't support serial devices. If your GPS has a USB interface, then Basecamp should work.
  • poele 0 Points
    Hi guy,
    It's seem
    I`ll be lonely here. Last post is jan 2013. I had the idea to put a link for poeple who need
    it: City Navigator Europe NT 2011.32.gmap and City Navigator North America NT 2011.31.gmap for nuvi 1370. But it is good for all nuvi series
  • gerano 31 Points
    I have a Nuvi 3597 with two different maps sets loaded, one on the main memory and the other on the memory card. Both are named D0391270A.img but are a slightly different file size.
    I want to rename a copy of the British maps and transfer it to my PC to replace Global Application Basemap v2.gmap but I find that Basecamp, Map Source and Training Centre each have the gmap file. Which do I replace and what do I do with the other two.

Does anyone have some bright ideas please?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    edited May 2015
    You can't simply rename a map from your nuvi and expect Basecamp to read it. Also note that the Basemap is a completely separate map from your CN maps (those on your nuvi named D0391270A).

How did you get those maps on your nuvi? Do you have lifetime maps? If so run Express and look for where it says Map options, there is an option there to install the maps on your PC for Basecamp to use, if that's what you're after.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited May 2015
    The .gmap files used by Basecamp/Mapsource are very different from the .img files used on the Nuvi. If you have maps that work on your Nuvi and want to use them in Basecamp, create a folder named Garmin on a USB Flash Drive and copy the .img files to it. If two different maps have the same file name, then change one of the names.

Basecamp should now treat the USB drive like an actual GPS and read the maps from it. If they don't show, you may need to use the "visible in BC" function in JaVaWa Device Manager: http://www.javawa.nl/jdm_en.html