This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Tom Tom losing accuracy

csurp 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Recently I have noticed on my Tom Tom One that when I enter an address it does not take me to the destination. If I save the location as a favorite via GPS position, it will navigate to it fine. This happened in NJ and Florida.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Tim 1479 Points
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you describe what happens or what you mean by "does not take me to the destination"?
  • csurp 0 Points
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you describe what happens or what you mean by "does not take me to the destination"?
    In one case in NJ it told me I was there 2 miles before I was. In Florida I was seven miles past my destination and it told me I was there. In both cases I had loaded the correct address.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    There are a few reasons that can happen, but thankfully none of them mean your GPS is loosing accuracy. I've seen this happen before when I didn't select the correct town, but had the correct street and number. For example if you were going to 150 Main Street in TownA, and the street continues into TownB with the same name, both towns could have a "150 Main Street" but be in different places on the same road. This same scenario could also apply if the town boundaries in the mapping database are not correct.

Another reason is simply that the address was incorrectly marked in the database. Or, it could be that the street numbering changed after the mapping database in your device was published.
  • csurp 0 Points
    Should I consider downloading the latest USA map? It looks like it costs around $80.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    You might be eligible for a free map update.
  • csurp 0 Points
    It looks like that expired March 31!
  • Tim 1479 Points
    On the page I linked to it says "FREE for eligible customers through June 15, 2007!". They might not have updated all of their documentation regarding the update.
  • csurp 0 Points
    OK, It was extended to June 17. I downloaded as per instructions. There was a new update of 8+ megs and the new maps at 7+ megs. After 40 minutes, the download was complete and then it asked me if I wanted to update my device? I thought that is what I had been doing! I clicked yes and was then told that there was not enough memory in the device.

Very frustrating!

Chris
  • Tim 1479 Points
    I believe the new maps should be larger than 8 MB. I thought too that they could only be ordered by DVD and sent in the mail since they are nearly 1GB in size. Also make sure you apply the correct map update. For the ONE you want the "USA and Canada" map and not the "North America" map.
  • csurp 0 Points
    It is a little confusing. My order status says shipped as if they are sending me something. When I go to tomtom home updates it shows that I downloaded the USA and Canada maps and that it is a newer version than what I have.

I did figure out how to delete the old application and maps from the tomtom and then download the newest application and maps.

It all appears to be working but I did lose all of my favorites.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
  • Tim 1479 Points
    That still doesn't sound quite right to me. The maps take up an incredible amount of space and I don't recall the update being available as a direct download.
  • csurp 0 Points
    Application program 8.2 MB
    Satellite imagry 7.3 MB
    Maps of USA & Canada 897.9 MB

There are misc voices, etc in KB
  • Tim 1479 Points
    On your ONE, go to the menu, next, next, 'Show Version' and look for the line that says: "Map: 'USA_and_Canada' v" followed by a version number. What version number maps are listed?
  • csurp 0 Points
    version 665
  • Tim 1479 Points
    You've got one of the latest versions already then. :)
  • csurp 0 Points
    Yes, that is the one that I downloaded last night. The one that was on the device was an earlier number.