This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

4250 accuracy?

shniggies 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
So I'm new to the whole GPS world, and I recently bought a 4250 even though I read some pretty negative things about it.... I took the unit up to Seattle with me over the weekend, and it did some interesting things....

***disclaimer: i had the unit for only a few days, so I didn't play around with EVERYTHING, just wanted it for basic routing/directions for now ****

1. I was south of Seattle, and when I entered an address near Seattle, it wanted me to take 5 South... to me this doesn't seem logical in the slightest way, considering I needed to go north, and it wasn't even routing me to another freeway off the 5 South, because I could see the green route coming back going north..... confused I went 5 North and it rerouted me correctly, but just thinking about what would happen if I had no bearing to where I actually was, and the amount of time and gas i would've just spent....

2. so this is the actual reason for my post... when I look at the map, I am always slightly behind on the GPS, is this normal? If I am sitting at an intersection, the arrow indicating my current location will be 1/4 inch behind it...is this normal? It throws me off a little, but i guess i can get used to it, but i found it weird...

3. in certain menus, the back button does not respond, i dont know if its because i ran the calibration test, but when i enter a route and then press the directional arrow in the bottom left corner to view the directions in text, the back button does not respond for a good 10-15 seconds... it eventually does go back, but is an annoyance...

Comments

• patruns 10 Points
    I have a 3100 and experience both #2 & #3 quite often. I doubt this is model specific.
  • nevets 0 Points
    I have a 3225 and only experience #2 (boy, that reads funny). I find all of the buttons on my unit to be very responsive, sometimes too much so in that a press will act as if I pressed the button twice.
  • Marc 301 Points
    Just curious where, in terms of the blue triangle icon do you consider your position to be? Given that on certain scales that it could literally be hundreds of feet long relative to the map, the only thing that makes sense to me is the top tip of the triangle. I really haven't noticed that lagging behind the true position. Also, obviously the GPS knows where you are since it dings just before the turn. I think this has only been missed by me in one particular place where the turns are lterally one directly after the other.
  • patruns 10 Points
    I find the blue tip of the triangle to be a little ahead of the intersection when I cross it. I do not recall this before I performed the firmware update but perhaps I just didn't notice. My back button sometimes becomes unresponsive in the various settings menues,
  • so no one has experienced #1 huh... yea thought that was pretty odd.... to answer the question about where i think i am for #2 I am literally sitting at an intersection, with the map zoomed in as much as possible, and the tip of the arrow is still behind the intersection, if i turn at the intersection, the arrow will almost pivot, then readjust to be on the road i just turned on...still seems buggy to me
  • Marc 301 Points
    I think everybody has experienced odd routes, no matter the GPS they are using. it just looks like you have one that you use everyday. I know that if I route my way to work it wants me turn into a road where there is now a barrier between it and the entrance to my work place, so as I keep driving it always routes me past the next logical place to turn. I have never bothered to follow it to see how it will get me back to where I want to be. The moral is don't follow your GPS blindly or you may end up driving off a cliff.
  • I think everybody has experienced odd routes, no matter the GPS they are using.... The moral is don't follow your GPS blindly or you may end up driving off a cliff.
    still kind of scary, want if you have no idea where you are, and you DO blindly follow the stupid thing....

maybe i should take a picture of my screen and show ppl how "off" my arrow is, to see if its acceptable or not... i feel like mine is a bit more off than normal... someone did mention the audible dings, but sometimes i look at the map and think its the next street up....
  • Tabs 0 Points
    Anyone seen that episode of The Office where Michael drives his car into a lake because the GPS says to turn that way? So funny.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Who was able to identify the GPS being used for the episode? :) (Maybe I'm the only one THAT nerdy.)
  • Marc 301 Points

still kind of scary, want if you have no idea where you are, and you DO blindly follow the stupid thing....

To me this is the equivalent of going hiking into the woods with only your GPS as a means of returning to your starting point. Sooner or later these are the people that need to be rescued. So if your walking or driving don't be completely dependent on your GPS. After all it was programmed by some nerdy engineer like me sitting in a cublicle that probably has no idea of your unique surroundings. You should always know which way is north and the general direction and distance of your destination. If you know you need to go south five miles and your GPS seems to be taking you on a Freeway north for the next ten miles, stop the car, get out a map and figure out what the heck is going on!
  • Marc 301 Points

2. so this is the actual reason for my post... when I look at the map, I am always slightly behind on the GPS, is this normal? If I am sitting at an intersection, the arrow indicating my current location will be 1/4 inch behind it...is this normal? It throws me off a little, but i guess i can get used to it, but i found it weird...

Just wanted to let you know I took a close look at this and if I blow up the scale to maximum, in certain areas I notice the same thing. So I don't think you have a defective unit. In another area I actually noticed it was slightly ahead- so may be fundamental map location errors. I do understand what you mean by it pivoting when it is on full scale.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Who was able to identify the GPS being used for the episode? :) (Maybe I'm the only one THAT nerdy.)
    My office settings block this url but maybe you can view it and make out the GPS. :)

http://tubearoo.com/articles/91916/The_Office_Michael_Trusts_the_GPS_Too_Much.html
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Oh, I already think I identified it, I was wondering if anyone else was. ;)
  • Tim 1480 Points
  • On my Magellan 4250, when fully zoomed in, the large arrow is also often not quite at intersections I come to. I think the unit is sufficiently accurate, though. The arrow seems to behave the same regardless of the direction I am traveling. The gong similarly rings at about the same distance in front of the turn. The 4250-reported long./lat. cordinates for my home match up with what is reported by online maps for the location. All in all, the 4250 seems to do a fine job.