This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Operating systems......

patruns 10 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
I was thinking, with MAC, Linux and various versions of Windows in use and all the GPS companies putting out updates it might be a good idea to have a section or thread on what works with who and who is updating their products to be compatible with what. For instance, I do not think Magellan supports anything beyond Windows XP. Last time I looked they didn't even recommend Windows 2000.

Thoughts?

Comments

• infama 0 Points
    I was thinking, with MAC, Linux and various versions of Windows in use and all the GPS companies putting out updates it might be a good idea to have a section or thread on what works with who and who is updating their products to be compatible with what. For instance, I do not think Magellan supports anything beyond Windows XP. Last time I looked they didn't even recommend Windows 2000.

Thoughts?
    Good idea.

One question always occured to me. What is Garmin's nav system (software) based on?

Is it Linux, Windows CE or mobile, Unix or other?
  • Tim 1479 Points
    It is their own internally developed platform. That is why we see so few "customizations" to the device, however probably also why they tend to be quite stable.
  • infama 0 Points
    It is their own internally developed platform. That is why we see so few "customizations" to the device, however probably also why they tend to be quite stable.
    But it must be based on a commercial base OS, no? I mean, what does the nav sofware run on? I dont figure they wrote their own operating system and compiler!
  • Tim 1479 Points
    As far as I know, it is their own OS. That was one of the faults cited about the upcoming Nuvifone... that since Garmin runs their own OS it would make it extremely challenging for people to write their own applications, if they were to allow it.
  • infama 0 Points
    As far as I know, it is their own OS. That was one of the faults cited about the upcoming Nuvifone... that since Garmin runs their own OS it would make it extremely challenging for people to write their own applications, if they were to allow it.
    OOOKKK
  • Tim 1479 Points
    I mean I could be wrong here... but the fact that nobody seems to know what operating system they use and whenever people talk about it the word "proprietary" comes up leads me to believe it is internally developed. In reading through their credits and copyright notices you can see all of the software they are using, and I don't see any references to OS type products like you see on every other GPS.