This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How to force a firmware update [HP]

infama 0 Points
Dear All,

I have just downloaded the latest Content Manager, and the latest upgrades for my iPAQ 316. It finished all downloads and installations succcessfully.
But after restarting the iPAQ is displays the following message : "The application failed to start last time. Do you want to reset to factory default settings and lose your POIs, tracks andsettings ?" Yes/No. I can answer any, nothing helps.
Any idea ?

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try a reset first, if you cant get anywhere with a yes/no response.

If that does not work, try a hard reset via engineering mode. Do a serach on this forum for instructions.

Failing all that, send it back for replacement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks , i did Point 10., and it did not help.
Anyway i found on the flash card, that the Hungarian language files are missing... I have chinese, portugese, etc, but no hungarian.
At the Content Manager screen i was able to select "update hungarian", but at the download phase is did not download any Hungarian files...
Looks like the CM is confuse if this is a 314 or 316...
Anyway will contact local Service Center.

One more...
Is there a possibility to "upload a whole OS+APP image" instead of using CM Update ?
Because i can see the Flash disk on PC, meaning the OS itself is sound... Maybe a fresh copy...
How can is get such an image ?

Why not try reinstalling the old files from backup of the pervious version and then trying to rerun the firmware update afterwards. Back up your current files before doing so though (in a separate location).

I tried to restore the original SW, but i have no CD for it, and do not have a backup... Now i know that Conent Manager can do it, but it is late. That is the reason to ask for complete install kits... (in the "old times we had got" reinstall CDs for iPAQs...)

Issue resolved, your idea was right. Found that the update had resulted a damaged installation.
I had to encourage the Content Manager to think that nothing is installed, then downloaded all items from WEB and reinstalled all on the FlashDisk.
And it worked. Thanks for the suggestions...

How did you fool the content manager into thinking nothing was installed?

Perhaps others can try this trick.

Not a "clean solution" (not sure Warranty covers:-)...
1. Made a backup with ContentManager
2. Accessed iPAQ Flash drive with PC Explorer
3. Deleted all files from NAV folder, except "License"
4. Started ContentManager
5. It found that nearly all is "Not installed", except the NAV application, which was "Installed", but it decided to "Install" it anyway
6. Downloaded 770MB, loaded to iPAQ (took 6 hours...)
7. Disconnected iPAQ from PC, connected to Power Supply, restarted
8. Waited about 6 minutes at boot, and it started.

Comments

• markheus 0 Points
    Hi - I attempted to do this with my 310 but it didn't work.

I deleted the files as specified with the exception of the license folder. Now when I hook it up to the laptop via usb it continually reboots itself. If I disconnect it from the laptop it starts up with an error message that there are "no languages installed"

I am attempting to reinstall everything but it reboots so quickly I don't have time.

BTW - This started when I attempted to update the software. After I ran the update I got an error message "ffui error: cannot parse so and so (my words hehe)
  • infama 0 Points
    Hi - I attempted to do this with my 310 but it didn't work.

I deleted the files as specified with the exception of the license folder. Now when I hook it up to the laptop via usb it continually reboots itself. If I disconnect it from the laptop it starts up with an error message that there are "no languages installed"

I am attempting to reinstall everything but it reboots so quickly I don't have time.

BTW - This started when I attempted to update the software. After I ran the update I got an error message "ffui error: cannot parse so and so (my words hehe)
    Did you also try the option 10 in Engineering Mode?

If this also fails, I am afraid you will have to return the unit to HP for repair.
  • markheus 0 Points
    Yep - That's what I did -

Hopefully I'll have better luck with the next one.
  • infama 0 Points

When you get it back, you may want to delay the update until the new update process is rolled out... in about 3 weeks.
  • markheus 0 Points

When you get it back, you may want to delay the update until the new update process is rolled out... in about 3 weeks.
    THanks for the info - I'll definitely wait... though I'f I'm lucky they'll do it for me ;)
  • infama 0 Points

THanks for the info - I'll definitely wait... though I'f I'm lucky they'll do it for me ;)
    Not if you get a brand new unit!
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Nor even if they repair yours, apparently. Figured I'd beat Uncle Ben to it.
  • Nor even if they repair yours, apparently. Figured I'd beat Uncle Ben to it.
    They didn't repair mine, they sent me a new one. And it was not up-to-date ... but the update went smoothly. :wink:
  • eDavem 0 Points
    Thanks, everyone, for all the great info on this forum. I have been lurking here for a few weeks and learning a ton of great info about my new iPaq 310.

I, too, was having issues installing the recent software update and, after going through lots of failed attempts, I decided to trash the contents of the "NAV" folder. Since I had just started using the 310 and had no real custom info in it (contacts, save routes, etc.) I did not not make a backup of it. (Ugggh!)

Well, now the new Content Manager does not see the 310 (the application quits on the "Loading Device Profile" screen). Also, the 310 gets a "There are no languages installed" error every time I turn it on, disconnected from the computer.

Am I stuck? Any fixes? Does anyone know...If I copy the contents of the NAV folder (minus the License folder) from another 310, will my 310 find the languages and start working again? Is it worth a try, at least?

Thanks, everyone!
  • infama 0 Points
    edited April 2008
    It is worth a try.

It may also be worthwhile to do the option 10 in Engineering mode afterwards, if that fails.

Worst case scenario, call HP and get a replacement.
  • eDavem 0 Points
    Thanks.

I forgot to mention...it seems I am unable to get into Engineering mode at all. I was able to, before I trashed the NAV folder.

When I get the "No languages" error, nothing on the screen is clickable and the jog wheel does not work. Holding it down, even for a long time, does nothing at all.

I am hoping to find an intact NAV folder, to try to copy trick. I will let you know if it works. Thanks.
  • markheus 0 Points
    You have to hold down the jog wheel as your pressing the reset button (the small button that you have to press with the stylus)

The first screen will be black with white letters saying it is in USB update mode - continue to hold down the jog wheel and then you'll enter engineering mode.

I doubt if it'll help though - didn't help me any - and I wasn't able to keep it from rebooting long enough to copy my files back.
  • eDavem 0 Points
    It worked! I just got done copying 1.7GB of data from the NAV folder on a friend's 310 to the NAV folder on my non-functioning one. I am very happy to say that it worked! I had to wipe out some of his favorites, history, etc., and I had to customize a lot of my own settings again, but it sure beats having to ship it back to HP.

Now, next step...make a backup ASAP and wait patiently for the next CM update! Ha!

Thanks, everyone!
  • eDavem 0 Points
    I doubt if it'll help though - didn't help me any - and I wasn't able to keep it from rebooting long enough to copy my files back.
    Thank you. I got it to work, after much trial and error. I don't think I was holding down the jog wheel long enough.

Regarding the reboots, I was experiencing them frequently, as well. I think they occur when the 310's battery is not charged enough to maintain the USB connection to the computer. I let mine charge, for an hour or so, using the wall charger, and it seemed to connect much more reliably. I was able to copy 1.7GB of data, with no reboots or USB disconnects, connected to WinXP under Parallels on my MacBook Pro.

Thanks again!
  • infama 0 Points
    Do you have the latest firware nav version, ie March 7, 2008?

I guess that CMngr overwrote your friends licence files with your own, no? Otherwise, I dont think you could access the maps. Not sure, however...
  • eDavem 0 Points

I guess that CMngr overwrote your friends licence files with your own, no? Otherwise, I dont think you could access the maps. Not sure, however...
    Actually, after copying his NAV folder to my hard drive, I made sure to copy my License folder into it, replacing his. Everything seemed to work fine.

I just downloaded the new CM update. Going to give that a try next. Wish me luck!
  • infama 0 Points

Actually, after copying his NAV folder to my hard drive, I made sure to copy my License folder into it, replacing his. Everything seemed to work fine.

I just downloaded the new CM update. Going to give that a try next. Wish me luck!
    Good luck.

Clever with the licence file. I thought you lost that with the nav folder!
  • markheus 0 Points
    Good news - I got it back a couple days ago - And it looks like they did indeed update the software. The map shows a date of march 7, 2008
  • infama 0 Points
    Great,

You had the easiest update process then!