This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon 2100 Max - First impressions of this PND

robertes64 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Hi folks,

I just got my Navigon 2100 max yesterday and have already been out driving around, checking it out and I thought I would post my initial thoughts and after a weekend trip to San Antonio post some more for those interested in the device. Many folks say that it's exactly like the 2100, but from things I've read in various forums about some limitations/irritants I'm led to believe there is more than just the widescreen, lane assist, reality view and Help (SOS) function. So here it goes - again it's just my observations from hands on device. My experience in GPS's goes back to when I was in the Army using some pretty cool prototype GPS's to the built-in GPS in an '05 Acura TL. I would consider myself pretty geeky. This isn't a "The 2100 does this and no other GPS does that - this is really all about the 2100 max.

:D 1. Price: I paid 279.99 for it at amazon.com and purchased the Zagats and Traffic services.
:) 2. Out of the box: GPS, Quickstart Guide, 12v charger, USB cable, GPS mount to include an adhesive dashmount.
:D 3. The mount.
The mount isn't quite as stylish as the Garmin mount and some of the other mounts you see out there, but what I do like about it is that it is very configurable. There are 4 pivot points that allow you to adjust it to the angle that best suits you. I like this because it allows me to actually "hang" it over the edge of my dash (2004 Chevy Silverado) which keeps it relatively out of sight from others and gives me a real nice viewing without obstructing my windshield.
Also the mount is very stable. Even though my Chevy is a pretty smooth riding truck, it is still a truck and the GPS holds quite stable and firm even on bumpy, pothole roads.
The GPS clips into a C clamp that's attached to the mount. It's pretty easy to connect - there are 2 indentations on the bottom and 1 indentation on the top to make sure you are placing it correctly as well as for securing the device.
:D 4. Initial startup/Acquisition.
I plugged the device into my computer to start charging, plus to make a backup of the SD card that came with it. (2 gig SD) After giving it about an hour to charge, I unplugged and took it outside and turned it on. The Quick Start guide said it could take up to 15 minutes for initial satellite lock. It took the 2100 max all of about 10-12 seconds to acquire 7 birds, then immediately after I was connected 11 birds. As I drive around town I am consistently connected to 11. In my office, with a huge green metal roof (1 story) I am hitting 5 to 6 birds.
I could not track this type of information on the Acura's GPS, so I dont' know if this is good or bad - it just is what it is.
:D 5. Features: This is a PND. It is not an iPod, Zune or other type of entertainment/communication device. There is no MP3 player, picture viewer or BT connectivity. In all honesty those were part of my initial purchasing criteria, but I lowered the value assigned to that and focused on plain ol' GPS functionality. It's really easy to type in an address, or select a POI - pretty much as easy as it was in my car, so I have no complaints about that thus far. One comment I noted on the 2100 was that you had to enter the city, street, street name only. With the 2100 max, you have a choice to enter city first or street name first. (that may have been on the 3.5" 2100, but that's just what I had heard) It does remember your last city, which is a nice feature. One thing that I don't like, is I cannot change the keyboard layout. It's alphabetical and you cannot change it to QWERTY, which is what i like. It just takes getting used to I guess and what the heck, maybe I can use that to help my 2 yr old learn his ABC's. Another point that COULD be construed as negative are the icon & sizes on the screen. Some of them are pretty small and could be larger, but I think that Navigon did a decent job of making do with the space allowed on the 4.3. There is a screen calibration that works much like my Palm device, I believe this gives some very good accuracy on the screen, but if you are a fat-fingered button masher, you may very well mash the wrong buttons. I have noticed that most of my screen use while driving give me sufficient sized icons to work with. If I need to plan a multi-segemented route, I am more likely to do that while not driving. Either way, could it be improved? Absolutely. Would it keep me from buying this device again? Absolutely not. (I'm not a small fella, so don't go thinking I've got little piano fingers or something. :))
A couple of features I like are the crosshair veiw you get when you tap the zoom icon. I can move the map around and it identifies the location (street/road name) that is under the crosshairs. if you tap the crosshairs again it will give you lat/long coordinates, if you tap the check mark it will give you the options to "take me there"; add to route, save location, or search nearby (for POI). I played with quite a few GPS's and didn't see this functionality on all of them, even the more expensive models. The routing feature is pretty decent - straight forward to operate and it will route based on shortest, fastest, or optimal which is a combo of both I believe.
Other neat features: Pedestrian and bicycle mode when setting up a route.

:D 6. Navigation accuracy.
I must admit, I'm an VERY pleased with the 2100 max. For starters it is the only PND that picked the most sensible route from my home to my mom's over in East Texas, the route that I normally drive. I left the route selection criteria default. I've tested this route in the Magellan, Garmin (Nuvi), HK 810 and TomTom 720 & 920 and each one of them got it wrong. I did get it right by inserting a waypoint, but it sure it nice to get it right the first time. I know this is only one route, but it impressed me that it got it right. What was the mileage/time difference between the Navigon's route and the others? Well over 12o miles and 2+ hours. That impresses me.
:) / :D Accuracy:
So far it has recalculated routes within a couple of seconds, it "road lock" (how a GPS insists on staying on a road even though you aren't on it e.g. you are on an access road and it thinks you are still on the interstate) is pretty darn good - much better than the Acura's GPS. Now that I think about it. WAAAAAAAY much better than the Acura. However, it is not perfect. I was on an access road about 15 feet off the state highway and at the point it thought I should be on the state highway, it put me there, even though I was on the access road still.
:) TTS Capability:
This is pretty dang good in my opinion. The voice isn't as smooth as the voice in the Acura, but I really, really love the functionality. Besides, it isn't like I'm going to have a conversation with her. What I really like is how it works. Like many other higher level GPS's it announces the street name that you are to turn on. One particular thing it does (and others may do this as well) was when I approached a T- intersection. The GPS said, "In 500 feet, turn right at the T-intersection, followed by a left turn onto State street. I gave me 2 sets of instructions because my turns were fairly close together. I really like the fact that it described the turn (T). That's pretty cool!!!
When it says to turn, is pretty much where you turn - not 20 feet before or after, so it's pretty accurate.
:) Display: I give the display a smiley in my truck where the sun doesn't bear directly onto the device. In direct sunlight, this thing is hard, hard to read. I would not recommend for top-down convertible driving, but I drive a truck and it works great and has a beautiful display inside my truck. The roads are textured nicely, without a jagged lines as I have seen on other devices.

Complaints about other Navigon PND's that I don't see in this one. My 2100 max is running the 1.2 version of software with Mobile Navigator 6.5.0. The touchscreen is very responsive and isn't sluggish as the 7100 appeared to be. The map scrolling (mentioned above) isn't nearly as smooth as the HK 810, but it's good enough for me.

My Complaints: POIs. Boy, when someone mentioned POI's I'm not sure what the folks at Navigon were thinking because I think they ran for cover. HOWEVER, in my relatively small town in central Texas, it's had my favorite burger joints, mexican restaurants and my fave italian place...but I already know where those places are, POIs are important to me when I'm in a place where I am not familiar with the surroundings and I'll see ho it does in San Antonio. There needs to be some improvement in this area and I'm looking for ways to boost mine, through 7100 maps or POIWarner. More on that later though. :) Also no capability to enter routes on my PC and import into the device. I've never had that so I don't know how much I am missing it, but the device does have routing capability. I wish daytime/nighttime screen changes were automatic based on time. It's pretty easy though - you tap the map screen and select day or night. I can't get MS Active Sync to work with it, which leads me to believe I will not be able to use POIWarner for adding/managing POIs. That will suck, but I'm not finished trouble-shooting that process yet.

Highlights for me? Customer Support for one... I ordered the activation services from Amazon and when I tried to activate it threw an error, stating the services appeared to be for a different product. I called Navigon Customer Support (9 a.m. - 8 p.m. CST) and spoke to Dave who admitted he hadn't seen this problem before, but wtihin 10 minutes or so had given me the activation codes I needed. I've managed IT/Technology help desks before and this was good, accurate service. One thing he said was that while most people thought the 2100 and 2100 max ran the same hardware, he said that the chipset used in the max was a definite upgrade over the 3.5 2100. I should have chased that bird down, but I didn't. I may give them a call and talk to them about that. Other highlights are the navigation accuracy, speed of acquisition and re-calcs, display (in my truck) and the feature set. Style. Man, this is really one beautiful GPS. I showed it to a friend who is in the market and he complimented the styling. Styling doesn't get you from point A to B, but getting there is style ain't so bad either!

I haven't taken it out on any 100+ mile roadtrips yet - that will come this weekend, but this is my initial impression of the Navigon 2100 max. Does it have all the bells and whistles of other devices? No it doesn't, but for the price it has a pretty robust feature set. Does it need some improvements, i.e. font size, icon size, yep it does. But I can live with it's shortcomings ID'd thus far as it seems a pretty accurate, user friendly little device. There is much more functionality that I haven't touched that may work great or may not, and since I haven't used it I ain't gonna talk about it. (Yet.)

Hope this helps shine some light on anyone who may be considering purchasing the 2100 max. I do not regret my decision thus far. I hope no one fell asleep and injured themselves falling out of their chairs.

More to follow after more testing!

Robert

An additional note I forgot to mention. One thing I didn't mention (and somehow I think Tim doesn't like:) ) is the dang mini-USB port is on the bottom of the device. This doesn't affect me in the way I have it mounted and in fact sort of reduces the cord foot print (straight down the bottom as opposed to poking out the side)
Also it does have a traffic antenna connector, but keep in mind the on the Max, the TMC antenna is build into the 12v charger.

I dont know why I didnt think to list the specs on the max before, but from the comments below, I thought I'd add them in.
Processor: 400 Mhz Samsung
Chipset: Fully integrated Nemerix NX3 GPS chip
RAM: 512 MB
ROM: 64 MB

I did contact Navigon and asked them to verify the data on the 2100 max spec sheet. I'm going to assume it's correct or would have been corrected by now. If correct wowza!!

Comments

• infama 0 Points
    Nice Rob,

I am happy you are pleased.
  • elkinm 0 Points
    It's good to see someone happy with the Max unit.

I definitely would like to know how the Max hardware is better than the regular 2100. The processor and memory specs are listed the same on the site. If it is a better processor, I wonder if the Max might be faster than the 7100 and 5100 as well.

Can you post the start and stop points of the route that it got right. I would like to add it to my 2100 and see how it does before and after the 1.2 update.

I the meantime, go on some adventures and post the details.
  • I definitely would like to know how the Max hardware is better than the regular 2100. The processor and memory specs are listed the same on the site. If it is a better processor, I wonder if the Max might be faster than the 7100 and 5100 as well.
    elk, I'll call support and ask for more clarification. From a previous post I made, I am fully aware that sometimes support folks speak from an area other than their actual mouth... I'll let you know what I find out.
    Can you post the start and stop points of the route that it got right. I would like to add it to my 2100 and see how it does before and after the 1.2 update.
    Do you want lat/long or just the town? I'm starting on Hopi Dr in Temple Texas, ending in Beachcomber in Chandler TX.
  • Thanks infama! Like you said, there is no such thing as a perfect GPS, but one that you are happy with probably gets as close as its going to get!
  • ptoomey3 0 Points

I definitely would like to know how the Max hardware is better than the regular 2100. The processor and memory specs are listed the same on the site. If it is a better processor, I wonder if the Max might be faster than the 7100 and 5100 as well.
    I am not quite sure what you mean. The only spec that I see that matches is the CPU. The 2100 is listed as having 64MB of RAM, 64MB of ROM, and uses the SiRF GPS chip. The 2100 Max is listed as having 512MB RAM, 64MB ROM, uses the Nemerix NX3 GPS chip, and runs Windows CE 5.0. Does anyone know what operating system the 2100 runs on?

I am curious, based on the above noted differences, if there is a difference between the 2100 and the 2100 Max in terms of performance/accuracy/etc.
  • infama 0 Points

I am not quite sure what you mean. The only spec that I see that matches is the CPU. The 2100 is listed as having 64MB of RAM, 64MB of ROM, and uses the SiRF GPS chip. The 2100 Max is listed as having 512MB RAM, 64MB ROM, uses the Nemerix NX3 GPS chip, and runs Windows CE 5.0. Does anyone know what operating system the 2100 runs on?

I am curious, based on the above noted differences, if there is a difference between the 2100 and the 2100 Max in terms of performance/accuracy/etc.
    Wow, that is weird. On the Navigon web site it confirms a MASSIVE 512mb of RAM and a puny 64mb ROM,
    while the HP iPaq 310 has:
    Memory - 128MB SDRAM main memory for running applications (may vary by country) Up to 2 GB Flash ROM. 600mhz Sirf/Centrality Titan GPS receiver/processor with integrated graphic processor.

The TT 920 has 64mb of RAM and a 400mhz ARM processor.

Finally, The NAVIGON 8110 contains a 533 MHz processor with 512 MB ROM and 128 MB RAM as well as a separate graphics accelerator, enabling the latest navigation functions to be displayed quickly on the 4.8-inch screen. As far as I know the HP has the most generous hardware on the market and only the Navigon 8100 threatened to equal it.

How can the 2100 Max have more RAM than the soon to be released 8100 series?
  • elkinm 0 Points
    Sorry, It seems you are right. I previously saw the specs of the 2100 Max to be the same as the 2100, with the exception of the chipset possibly.

Looking again, it is consistently listed with 512 MB of RAM. So it seems it should be superior in performance for even the 7100 tiny 64 MB.

And the NX3 should perform much better and improve battery life. So it seems I am behind the times.
  • infama 0 Points
    Sorry, It seems you are right. I previously saw the specs of the 2100 Max to be the same as the 2100, with the exception of the chipset possibly.

Looking again, it is consistently listed with 512 MB of RAM. So it seems it should be superior in performance for even the 7100 tiny 64 MB.

And the NX3 should perform much better and improve battery life. So it seems I am behind the times.
    But could it have 3 times more RAM than the 8110?
  • ptoomey3 0 Points
    But could it have 3 times more RAM than the 8110?
    yeah, that seems pretty weird. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me (this is only my second post...the 2100 Max got me thinking of buying) can tell me where the maps are stored. The original poster mentioned a 2GB SD card. Does this store the maps? If so, I am curious what the 512MB of RAM is for. The 64MB of ROM seems reasonable, but 512MB of RAM seems off the charts relative to other products in this class.
  • And the NX3 should perform much better and improve battery life. So it seems I am behind the times.
    I can't attest to the 2100 with the previous chipset in it, but I can tell you that this chipset gets lock in places that really surprise me, as well as very fast acquisition times. I am tempted to call Navigon, but I'm afraid I'll get the response from someone reading the darn datasheet. What the heck, I'll call them anyway. I'll post what they say. I wonder if Tim can get to the bottom of the story here. If the data sheet specs are true, then man, the weren't kidding when they said 'MAX". :)
  • elkinm 0 Points
    This press release from the European site http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/press/archive/2008/255
    Don't know how to add links?
    It says that it would have 64 MB ran 64 MB rom just like the 2100, however it also lists a battery life of 3+ hours compared to 4.5 on US spec.

Nothing about the chipset, and I believe the NX3 should offer better battery life, but it also pushes a bigger screen.

It would be odd for it to have more ram than the 8100 as already mentioned, so I think it is more likely that the base hardware is the same with just the GPS chipset offering the significant upgrade.

I hope I am right and the 1.2 update will offer a similar sluggish free experience for mine and other units.

• I hope I am right and the 1.2 update will offer a similar sluggish free experience for mine and other units.
    I hope so too elkinm - I'm almost feeling like the exception being pleased with my unit, so I hope the next sofware release resolves those issues.
  • elkinm 0 Points

I hope I am right and the 1.2 update will offer a similar sluggish free experience for mine and other units.

I hope so too elkinm - I'm almost feeling like the exception being pleased with my unit, so I hope the next sofware release resolves those issues.
    I certainly don't think you are the exception but there were definitely some routing problems with the stock unit. With tweaks it's as good as the maps will allow. still not perfect, but I still prefer it over Garmin, Magellan and tom Tom.
    A better map plus better performance makes it just that much better.
  • infama 0 Points
    Elk

To make the link live, type it like this:
    actual website link

Then it will be clickable.
  • gaewsky1 0 Points
    So, the only difference between the 2100 and the 2100max is the wider/bigger screen? Is it worth the extra 100+ bucks?

Well on the Navigon website it does list the Max with 64MB of ROM and 512MB of Ram. The regular 2100 has 64MB of both ROM and RAM.

So I guess you do get some speed with the extra money spent.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    robertes64 - If you go to 'Options' -> 'Product Information', what do the first three lines report?

I've got:

Navigon 2100 max US Release 1.0
    Version: 6.5.2 - build-38 03/06/2008
    CE Version: 1.0202

Does yours have a serial number on it anywhere?
  • infama 0 Points
    robertes64 - If you go to 'Options' -> 'Product Information', what do the first three lines report?

I've got:

Does it show the RAM usage like the TT?
  • Tim 1481 Points
    If it does, I haven't found it yet.
  • gaewsky1 0 Points
    Tim,

With your limited use of the 2100Max, how would you compare it to the 7100. I have another thread trying to find out the difference between the two a few threads below this one. I plan on getting one or the other within the next couple of days.

Thanks.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I haven't done much more than turned it on.
  • elkinm 0 Points
    You know, if you can unlock the 2100 Max like you can with the 2100, you can go to the windows CE control panel and find out with certainty how much RAM you really have.
    The unlocking post is in the Navigon Mods thread.
  • If it does, I haven't found it yet.
    No, there is no information on how much RAM is on the device. For what's it's worth, Navigon support contacted me today and they confirmed 512 Mb of RAM, 64 Mb ROM. Operative phrase: "for what it's worth". :)
  • robertes64 - If you go to 'Options' -> 'Product Information', what do the first three lines report?

I've got:

I have the same data with you, in addition Program: 080306-2140

but no serial number.
  • You know, if you can unlock the 2100 Max like you can with the 2100, you can go to the windows CE control panel and find out with certainty how much RAM you really have.
    The unlocking post is in the Navigon Mods thread.
    What's the topic name? I'll check it out.

NEVERMIND - I wasn't wearing my glasses - I see it now.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I find it somewhat disturbing that there is no serial number printed on these things, especially in light of this thread.
  • Now that you mention it I did find it somewhat strange when registering on the Navigon website and identifying my product, there was no place for a serial number.

I'll contact Navigon and ask their take on this. Even sub $100 electronic items usually have a serial nbr. Good catch Tim.
  • MTurbo 91 Points
    edited April 2008
    I also checked my HP Ipaq and there is no serial number on the unit itself.

Through the sys info menu the serial number is listed and also on the box.

Maybe it's the same with the Navigon through the user menu to display the serial number?

Maybe it was better for them to have the serial number through the menu incase a unit is stolen and recovered. That way people can't scratch or remove it.
  • I went through it pretty hard today - basically hit every option I could find and didn't find a serial number. However, I did get it out for a few hundred miles today and aside from some interface issues, and the poor POI selection, I am VERY pleased with my max - TMC shone like a star today and accuracy was close to flawless.

Now that I think about it, I believe I actually have more POI's stored in my brain than my 2100 max does. I think I'm going to tell Navigon that very thing. I can see also that I will have to buy the 7100 maps and used their POI or this will always be a sore spot to me.
  • infama 0 Points
    I went through it pretty hard today - basically hit every option I could find and didn't find a serial number. However, I did get it out for a few hundred miles today and aside from some interface issues, and the poor POI selection, I am VERY pleased with my max - TMC shone like a star today and accuracy was close to flawless.

Now that I think about it, I believe I actually have more POI's stored in my brain than my 2100 max does. I think I'm going to tell Navigon that very thing. I can see also that I will have to buy the 7100 maps and used their POI or this will always be a sore spot to me.
    How much are the maps?

You know you can get 12m POIs for $200, plus a nice device thrown in for free! Check out the economics of it!
  • $79 USD.... $120 cheaper than the HP... :)
  • I went through it pretty hard today - basically hit every option I could find and didn't find a serial number. However, I did get it out for a few hundred miles today and aside from some interface issues, and the poor POI selection, I am VERY pleased with my max - TMC shone like a star today and accuracy was close to flawless.

How much are the maps?

You know you can get 12m POIs for $200, plus a nice device thrown in for free! Check out the economics of it!

Okay, I don't follow. What are you talking about?
  • $79 USD.... $120 cheaper than the HP... :)
    Same with this one. What are you referring to? Thanks.
  • elkinm 0 Points
    $79 USD.... $120 cheaper than the HP... :)

Same with this one. What are you referring to? Thanks.
    I think they are saying that an HP GPS has 12M POIs and costs just $200, I assume in comparison to getting the 7100 POIs on the Max.

What I really would like to see is a way to add POIs, maybe with something like Navigon Fresh.
    I would like the ability to add the 24M+ that Google has.
  • L0stS0ul 0 Points
    edited April 2008
    Edit: yup I mis-read it. removing part of my comment here

I do hope Navigon decides to include more POI's in the future.

You can add poi's to the 2100 using POI-Warner. You have to purchase it but it works.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=97250
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I think that what was being said was that the HP device itself costs $200, not the map update.
  • BINGO!!!!

map update 79 dollars, iPAQ 310 200 dollars. a bazillion confusing posts - priceless. :lol:
  • acecil 0 Points
    Thank you very much for the 1st-impressions review. I've been seriously considering a Navigon and this was helpful. I look forward to more of your impressions later on.

Some questions right now:
    -- Exactly how many POIs does the 2100 Max come with?
    -- Is it possible to add more in some way?

Thank you very much.
  • Navigon's website states "over a million". Folks I've talked to on the forum put that number around 1.2 to 1.6 million. Hardly robust when compared to a Garmin (6 million) and especially the HP iPAQ 310 (12 million) Right now as best as I know the only way to increase your POI is to add the POI from the Navigon 7100 maps. You can find the 7100 maps on eBay for around $79.00. I haven't found a way, and I'm not aware of anyone else who has found a way to add to the POI file via something like a CSV file (similar to an Excel file). With other devices you can do that, but at this point no one has figured out how to manipulate the POI file for the 2100 max. Some have used POIWarner for the 2100, but in following those directions I've been unsuccessful to even get the program synced with my device. I agree that 1. whatever is not enough.
  • acecil 0 Points
    For what it's worth, this is Navigon customer support's response when I inquired yesterday about how many POIs the 2100 Max includes and if users have the ability to customize POIs:

Dear Navigon Customer,
    Thank you for your inquiry.

The 2100 MAX comes with 2 million points of interest. You can purchase the
    Zagat Survey Rating & Reviews to add more, but the total will remain under 3 million.

It is possible that more POIs will be able to be added in the future. There
    is no manual process for entering a POI.

Sincerely,
    Navigon Customer Support Team
    ------------------------------------------------
  • Holy insufficient POI's Batman!!! I was hoping to read that they are going to have a Navigon Fresh for us US customers here pretty soon. Maybe they still will who knows? It's possible that the market will also drive that to happen with the TT map share thing and the ability to add POI to the Garmin and Magello's so easily.

This weekend I am going to try and get this a hack running on my max and see if I can 1. Turn on ActiveSync and load POIWarner. 2. Get some details on the innards of this cool little device. My attempts so far haven't been successful, but look how long it took Bill Gates to perfect Windows.... wait a second....what am I thinking?!?!?! :)
  • infama 0 Points
    MapShare is more for correcting existing POIs supplied by TT. TT is the easiest make for actually adding both custom POIs and simply downloading via HOMe form TT itself or from the "community" for free. There are also POIs for sale. No extra tool is needed to enter a custom POI.

It is a pity that Navigon has this POI weakness, as I must confess they are strong in several areas and offer great value.
  • Navigon does have a similar application called Navigon Fresh which I can download and use for backup/restore, but for nothing else. It has some ability to update maps, but I'm not sure exactly how it works because it won't read my device.

I totally agree, the navigon would be top notch if it had a more robust POI offering or at least if they would let us in the POI file!!!!

I just pulled this statement from the Navigon site (UK version):

NAVIGON Fresh
    The world is constantly in motion: With NAVIGON Fresh you can update map material, software and services of your mobile navigation system. This convenient updating-tool allows you to update and easily download pathbreaking additional services.

IMPORTANT: Please note that NAVIGON Fresh is currently available only to European customers. NAVIGON Fresh will be available to U.S. and Canada customers in March 2008. If you are a North American customers, register your device at navigonusa.com for news on availability of NAVIGON Fresh and other product and map updates.
    Well it's April and me no havie Fresh. Has anyone heard of the reason for delay? Again, I don't really know what this software does, so I can't say much about it.
  • acecil 0 Points
    I looked at Navigon's UK Web site and watched the video, but I'm still unclear.

Does Navigon Fresh give users the ability to customize POI data, for example?

Is that what "you can update map material, software and services of your mobile navigation system" means?

In any case, I've written Navigon USA an e-mail, asking for a more thorough explanation of what Navigon Fresh is and when it will be available for U.S. customers. As you mentioned, the UK Web site says it would be available to U.S. customers last month and that has not been so.

I'd really like to buy a 2100 Max, but the low number of POIs plus the inability to customize them -- like you can on Tom Tom and Garmin devices -- is a real sticking point with me. I could at least tolerate the low number of POIs if I was allowed to customize/add my own.

When I receive Navigon's response, I will post it here.
  • I looked at Navigon's UK Web site and watched the video, but I'm still unclear.

Does Navigon Fresh give users the ability to customize POI data, for example?

Is that what "you can update map material, software and services of your mobile navigation system" means?

In any case, I've written Navigon USA an e-mail, asking for a more thorough explanation of what Navigon Fresh is and when it will be available for U.S. customers. As you mentioned, the UK Web site says it would be available to U.S. customers last month and that has not been so.

I'd really like to buy a 2100 Max, but the low number of POIs plus the inability to customize them -- like you can on Tom Tom and Garmin devices -- is a real sticking point with me. I could at least tolerate the low number of POIs if I was allowed to customize/add my own.

When I receive Navigon's response, I will post it here.
    I actually heard from Navigon and unfortunately they didn't really elaborate on what Navigon Fresh is... here's what they said. I'll also reply back and ask them for more details on what "Map and software updates" means.
    Navigon Fresh has been on track for a North American release this summer.
    Unfortunately, the European website information has been out of date for
    some time. It is definitely launching, however, and more information will
    be available on www.navigonusa.com once we're closer to the launch date.
    Once launched, Navigon Fresh should manage your various maps and map
    updates among any other software needs of the device.

FreshMaps is not a replacement, but simply a subscription service that will
    enable purchasers to obtain map updates.

In the future, you will be able to obtain additional maps and software for
    your device, and you'll learn more details about those software offerings
    closer to the launch of such services. As Navigon is still recent to the
    North American market, we are working hard to offer our customers what they
    want based on the feedback we receive, such as yours.
    If they provide useful information, I'll post it as well. :)
  • acecil 0 Points
    For some reason, I was under the impression that they were two different things.

Guess not:

Dear Navigon Customer,

Navigon Fresh is currently available to US customers. If you go to
    navigon.com/buy you will see a list of authorized retailers to buy
    FreshMaps cards needed for the Navigon Fresh service.

The FreshMap service is going to allow you to update yourmaps quarterly for up to three years for a one time cost of $79.99.

Sincerely,
  • acecil 0 Points
    ... you will notice the URL -- http://www.navigon.com/buy -- that Navigon provided in the aforementioned e-mail gives the following message:

"The system cannot find the file specified"

Lovely.
  • acecil 0 Points
    Dear Navigon Customer,

I apologize for the mistype. You can, at this time, purchase the FreshMaps
    subscription service activation card. However until Navigon Fresh, the
    interface software, is released you will not be able to obtain those
    updates through FreshMaps. Please keep an eye on our website for more
    information on the availability of the Navigon Fresh software.

Please contact us at 888-848-0701 Monday through Friday 8am to 10pm EST if
    you have any other questions or http://www.navigon.com/site/us/en under the Support tab.
  • hey ace... here was my reply from Navigon when I asked them to elaborate on what Navigon Fresh would actually do. I had asked if Freshmaps was a replacement for the Navigon Fresh - basically it isn't - it's the tool for updating your PND if for example you have Fresh Maps.
    Dear Navigon Customer,

The Navigon Fresh service will provide you with one location to access
    information about your device as well as easy access to maps and other
    enhancements for your device. With Navigon Fresh you will be able to
    connect your device to your computer and with a few clicks know when
    updates that are applicable to your device are available.
    Here is their reply when I asked if Navigon Fresh was going to be released stateside like the UK Website said:

Dear Navigon Customer,

First, allow us to assure you that we take feature requests seriously, and
    that each is passed upwards through our company.

Navigon Fresh has been on track for a North American release this summer.
    Unfortunately, the European website information has been out of date for
    some time. It is definitely launching, however, and more information will
    be available on www.navigonusa.com once we're closer to the launch date.
    Once launched, Navigon Fresh should manage your various maps and map
    updates among any other software needs of the device.

FreshMaps is not a replacement, but simply a subscription service that will
    enable purchasers to obtain map updates.

In the future, you will be able to obtain additional maps and software for
    your device, and you'll learn more details about those software offerings
    closer to the launch of such services. As Navigon is still recent to the
    North American market, we are working hard to offer our customers what they
    want based on the feedback we receive, such as yours.

Sincerely,