This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Frequency of Magellan software updates

mfeinberg 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
Hi all. I am trying to decide between the Garmin Nuvi (likely the 350) and the Magellan 6000T - the prices are pretty comparable, once I add on the $130 GTM12 for the Nuvi.

I like the 6000T because for the price it has traffic and bluetooth. I like the Nuvi for the size. Not sure which way I am leaning, but the answer to this question might help me: it appears to me that Garmin issues software updates (not maps, but operating software) more frequenly than Magellan, which just implies that they are a bit more responsive to their customers. Do they really issue updates more often, or is Magellan just in a quieter time right now?

Thanks!
Mark

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Depends how you look at it. :) You can look at it that Garmin releases more updates and thus are more responsive to customer issues. Or, you could look at it that Magellan gets it right the first time and doesn't need to release as many software patches.

I think overall you are probably correct in your observation that Garmin releases software updates more frequently than Magellan. Since Garmin has a larger customer base there is also more "buzz" when they do announce a software update since more people are talking about it. Also since Garmin has many more products in their auto line there are more products to release updates for and thus you hear about Garmin updates more frequently.

Overall though I wouldn't really consider frequency of updates a big consideration. Magellan has released software updates when they have discovered problems with their products and to add new features, just like Garmin.