Car Charger Problems.

dgoldb1 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
I recently purchased a Maestro 3225 from Costco. Really love the unit! One problem, my dog decided to use the car charger as a chew toy. So I went on EBay to purchase another charger. I purchased a charger similar to this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Charger-Magellen-Maestro-3200-3225-3250-4200-4250_W0QQitemZ120249356976QQcmdZViewItem. The problem is whenever I plug it in with this new car charger, the unit thinks that it is connected to a USB device/computer. I see the same message when I connect it to the computer. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? It is like the unit does not realize that a charger is plug in and it thinks it is plugged into a computer.

Thanks.

Comments

• Tim 1275 Points
    It does that when it senses a different voltage than what it expects from the car charger, or if the charger wasn't designed for that GPS. I'd send that one back and get the charger direct from Magellan.
  • Riick 0 Points
    ^^^^^^
    Not too sure of that.
    MIGHT be voltage, but it should always be +5v in a USB cable
    BUT... there are 4-pin & 5-pin mini-USB cables--- have to wonder if on cable is the 4-pin and other is 5-pin.
    I'm going to look closely at both.
  • Mine that this with the stock charger when I got it. Then it worked fine after a few restarts. Then it blew the fuse in my truck. After I replaced it it worked fine for a month. Then the charger fell apart. :(
  • gsthunder 0 Points
    I recently purchased a Maestro 3225 from Costco. Really love the unit! One problem, my dog decided to use the car charger as a chew toy. So I went on EBay to purchase another charger. I purchased a charger similar to this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Charger-Magellen-Maestro-3200-3225-3250-4200-4250_W0QQitemZ120249356976QQcmdZViewItem. The problem is whenever I plug it in with this new car charger, the unit thinks that it is connected to a USB device/computer. I see the same message when I connect it to the computer. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? It is like the unit does not realize that a charger is plug in and it thinks it is plugged into a computer.

Thanks.
    Seems to be something that happens with some aftermarket chargers. I am new to GPS car units specifically, as well as the Magellan brand overall, but I have heard about this problem. Here is a charger off E-Bay that specifically says it won't go into PC mode on you. $6.75 + shipping...

E-BAY SELLER: http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-CHARGER-4-MAGELLAN-MAESTRO-3200-3210-3225-4220-4225_W0QQitemZ140228763309QQihZ004QQcategoryZ58051QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have used Northstar GPS on E-Bay before on stuff like this and they make an excellent product. You can send them a question via E-Bay and ask if they have the PC mode issue but I doubt it as they are really good about making sure stuff like that does not happen. They offer a charger for $9.99 + shipping. I have no idea about the quality of the charger in the other auction listed above but if the NSGPS one below is as good as the Garmin E-Trex cable I got and the LG cell phone cable I got as well this would be worth the extra $3 to me...

E-BAY SELLER: http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Charger-Magellen-Maestro-3200-3225-3250-4200-4250_W0QQitemZ140227862610QQihZ004QQcategoryZ73344QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

(no live links, please
  • Riick 0 Points
    Did you notice that the 1st eBay Seller
    (E-BAY SELLER: KHOI1971) had a picture of the tip of the USB plug?
    5-pins !!

I checked the pinout specs for mini-usb cables the other day;
    4 and 5 pin are virtually the same, but one pin is shorted with
    another on 5-pin cable.

Only trouble in making a differentiation, is that I can't even
    SEE if my power adapter (or USB cable)plug is 4 or 5 pin. :(

Anyone with GOOD eyes and/or a magnifying glass :shock: who
    will have a look and how/if they're different can have all
    the gold I've spun from straw.
    -------------------- "Rumpleforskin"
  • dan9125 0 Points
    I have a 3250 model, it worked fine until one day when i plugged in the car power cord and it went onto USB mode. I have only used it about 6 or 7 times....whats up with these power cords? Are they just made cheesy by Magellan? :?:

Dan
  • oldyellr 0 Points
    The problem is whenever I plug it in with this new car charger, the unit thinks that it is connected to a USB device/computer.
    I had that happen with my Magellan charger the first time I used it in my car. When I first bought my 3210 I used it in my friend's car in map mode just to get familiar with it, both with and without the charger, and later played around with it at home. When the battery indicator was down to one bar I plugged it into my car lighter socket in the garage to charge it and got the USB screen. Don't know, but maybe my car battery voltage was too low (~12.5v), so I put a battery charger on. Even with the battery charging at ~16v, I was still getting the USB crap, so I let it charge for a few hours. Still no joy. I finally pressed the on/off button for a good long time so when it turned on it went through the blue screen sequence and this time it recognized the USB cable as a charger, not a connection to a USB port. It seems to me that the unit thinks anything less than 12.6 volts is a computer, not a car battery and won't change its mind even if the voltage increases until you finally reset it.
  • My 3250 still thinks its connected to a computer when its actually pluged into my cig plug in my truck. I have reset it also and still the USB mode appears. I sent an email to Magellan on thier support section of the web ssight...think they will answer me?

Dan
  • My unit is doing the same thing...using the original car charger. Also it has been freezing up quite a bit, recycling, etc...
  • Im tempted to buy a new power cord for my unit to see if that helps.
    Dan
  • I have a 3250 and have had the PC problem with my original car adapter. That was never the deal. I just bought a new adapter today and now the PC problem wont go away. Instead of the voltage do you think it might be the amperage. The only diff on new one i bought puts out 0.2 less amps.

will
  • albertan 0 Points
    Hi folks,
    Mystery solved. Magellan GPS receivers need wall or car chargers that put out 1 amp at 5 volts. If the amperage is say 1.5 amps, the receiver thinks it is connected to a computer and you get the frozen blue screen with the message. You have to look closely at those output numbers on the charger - Output: 5v 1A else it thinks it is a USB connection to a computer.
  • I'm a florist so I have went thru at least 20 different Magellan GPS's to help with daily deliveries. They normally wear out after a year or two, don't know why, so I always end up replacing them. I try updating them online, no luck.

That is why I only buy the 3225 online for around $50 each. Only some of them seem to have problems with the chargers... the ones that do show the USB screen, they are not compatible with other chargers (Motorolla, etc) unless they are 5V @ 1A.

Next time you purchase those car chargers, make sure they are labelled with 5V @ 1A.