Tom Tom and Garmin Route Optimization
  • I have been comparing the various GPS systems and have narrowed it down to the Nuvi 760 and the Tom Tom 920 (they don't have traffic radio where I live). I do real estate on the side and the multi-destination input would be great. I read Tim's review on the the 760 and saw that it has route optimization, does the Tom Tom 920/T do this also? This would be really helpful to be able to plug in 5 different home's addresses and hit a button to have the GPS unit automatically put them in the most sensible (time-wise) order. Although the text commands would be nice on the TT as well. If the TT does route optimization then it seems the winner.
  • Tim
    The TomTom devices don't offer route optimization. You can rearrange the order manually and see how it impacts the total trip time, but it won't automatically order the stop like the Nuvi 700 series will.
  • So, I found another on-going thread and the HP310 was mentioned. I haven't done much research on it. Should it be a contender?
  • Tim
    You can read my review of the HP iPAQ 310.
  • Well,
    It seems the only thing the HP is missing is the voice commands. I love the options that the HP offers, read the link you had to the manual and it looks great. In your opinion, how much have you used the TT, or Nuvi 800 series voice commands? Does it help when you are driving? My dad has a built in GPS in his car and I don't have a problem entering them as I drive, but thought the voice commands might help some. Although watching the video for the TT it seemed like it might take just as long in not longer to pick which street (one, two, three, etc.) after you have already said the name. Trying to figure out how much I will miss the voice command feature if I went with the HP.
    Thanks!
  • Tim
    It takes about the same amount of time to enter the voice command as it does to type it out. Sure, the voice recognition thing is hands free... but I find it almost as distracting as trying to type.
  • infama
    The Garmin 800s will be like $700 when the come out. The HP can often be found for $200.

Pricewise, they are on different planets.

Please also note that the HP does not yet offer Traffic.
  • Alright, I bought a refurbed HP IPAQ 310 from Amazon with a 30 day no question asked return policy and no restocking fee. BUT they said it does not come with the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. So, from those of you that have bought and played with lots of GPS units. If it is going to go bad, does it usually go bad in the early stages of its life? I know from refurbed computers (Dell) I have bought, and been pleased with. It died right out of the box, but they sent a new power supply and hard drive overnight and I have never had a problem with it for 3 years. Typically speaking (and don't worry, I won't hold you accountable, these are electronics...) have you seen GPS units act the same way, or has anyone had a case where the GPS died 1 year out, or 1.5 years out?
    Thanks,
    Roby
  • infama
    Packtramp said:

Alright, I bought a refurbed HP IPAQ 310 from Amazon with a 30 day no question asked return policy and no restocking fee. BUT they said it does not come with the 1 year manufacturer's warranty. So, from those of you that have bought and played with lots of GPS units. If it is going to go bad, does it usually go bad in the early stages of its life? I know from refurbed computers (Dell) I have bought, and been pleased with. It died right out of the box, but they sent a new power supply and hard drive overnight and I have never had a problem with it for 3 years. Typically speaking (and don't worry, I won't hold you accountable, these are electronics...) have you seen GPS units act the same way, or has anyone had a case where the GPS died 1 year out, or 1.5 years out?
    Thanks,
    Roby

How much did you pay?

I dont see the logic of refurb, given that the HP frequently goes on sale for $200. You need that warranty, as the software is still not fully stabilized.

If you are locked in, i would advise not upgrading or hacking of the unit until HP comes out with the Update tool and change the firmware upgrade process. Quite a few people have killed their unit in the recent upgrade and HP has been good about making quick replacements.

Unless you paid like $100, I would advise returning it for a refund and wait a week or 2 for the HP price to fall back to $200 at Amazon, as happened often in the recent past.
  • $192 for the refurb. The new units were going for about $230 with shipping and a 1 year warranty. Although they were from marketplace sellers not directly from Amazon. I have 30 days no question asked so I might play with it and then send back to get one with a warranty.
  • infama
    Packtramp said:

$192 for the refurb. The new units were going for about $230 with shipping and a 1 year warranty. Although they were from marketplace sellers not directly from Amazon. I have 30 days no question asked so I might play with it and then send back to get one with a warranty.

Trust me, you want one with warranty. Make sure to sned this one back. You can play in the meantime.

I am relatively sure you will see something close to $200 in the next week or 3. Just track Amazon every few days or watch the HP section here. They normally run on Fridays.

I got mine for $199 and free shipping back in early Feb. Unbeatable!
  • Nice! Sounds like that is what I will do then.
    Thanks!
  • Upacreek
    Tim,
    Regarding your comment about voice commands, sounds like your not real impressed, or don't see an advantage. Given two devices are pretty much equal otherwise would you avoid the one with the ability to enter voice commands? Is that just a personal preference, or are there other issues with devices equipped to accept the commands?
  • Tim
    It really comes down to style. I will enter a destination before I start moving the car. I keep the GPS in close reach, and I'm really fast at the menu systems. So the voice command system is of little value to me personally.
  • I am going to shortly purchase one of these devices (waiting on the 930 pricing in Canada, and maybe the drop in price of the 920😃 ). To date, I've done some online research & played with them in the local Best Buy.

One characteristic that I didn't see any commentary on is the performance of the two devices. By "performance" I mean the responsiveness of the unit to button presses, basically navigating the UIs. I noticed a huge difference - the 920 was extremely fast while the 760 was ploddingly slow (as an aside, the Sony N83T was also very slow). Is this a factor of the demo mode or the real life difference? If it is real world, my choice is clear.

TIA
  • infama
    The 920 is lightning fast in screen responsiveness.
  • gatorguy
    I don't yet have the 720 to evaluate, so I can't directly compare (tho I soon will). I can say that I've haven't noticed any lag in radio button response. Is that considered "lightning fast"?😀
  • tomj03
    Is this a factor of the demo mode or the real life difference? If it is real world, my choice is clear.

TomTom PND run Linux, will enjoy commanding lead in performance , given the same processor power.
  • Reading back my note, I wasn't too clear. I meant the Garmin 760, not the TT720. The Garmin & Sony units were very slow to respond, and being the impatient sort, I pressed the "buttons" a few times, which caused some odd results.

I think I'll be picking up either a 920 or 930, depending on where the prices land, in a few weeks.

Thanks for your lightning fast responses. :lol:
  • infama
    Packtramp said:

Nice! Sounds like that is what I will do then.
    Thanks!

Amazon now has the iPaq 310 for $208 with free shipping.
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!