This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

iPaq 310 since the new CM and app update of late 4/08 [HP]

patruns 10 Points
Starting a new thread as the other is 4 pages now. Better to have new and remaining issues discussed me thingks................. :idea:

So, to start off I still have the reboot from contacts and unable to route to contacts issues. Anyone else have these or other issues?

Comments

• I offered some comments in the other thread ... here they are:

About the contacts, yes, you have to tweak them ... and instead of doing them all in one shot, I do them piecemeal, as I need them, and they are relatively easy to tweak - have you been able to tweak any of them - when you select a contact from CONTACTS, not from within the NAV application, but within CONTACTS, do you have a yellowish/greenish checkmark beside it - if not, it's no navigatable. If you have the checkmark and still can't navigate to it, then I think your device is defective. All my contacts work, either from CONTACTS or within the navigation screen, so there's no reason now why yours shouldn't work, unless your device is defective.
  • patruns 10 Points
    No, I do not have the checkmark next to the name, and when I enter that contact there is a red X in the lower address/phone box. I have no idea why. The address looks good for the contact..............

PS: Tweaking it a few times is a pain when it keeps rebooting on "save". :cry:
  • Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Patruns. Just pick one address that doesn't work and try to tweak it this way:

• Do not use abbreviations in state names, spell it out (e.g. California, not CA)
    • Do not leave the country field blank, show US or Canada
    • Type in the zip/postal code
    • Do not use HWY or Highway, just key in the number
    • For Drive, Court, Crescent, Street, you can use abbreviations but omit the period, so you could us Dr but not [Dr.]
    • In Canada, postal codes use a combination of letters and numbers X#X X#X – you need the space between the first three and last three characters.
    • When you key in the address, do no use commas to separate street number, street names, city, province/state, country… all in one segment.

If you don't have success, PM me an impersonal one, like a business address, I'll get it to work here at my end and PM you back the exact format to use. If it still doesn't work, then we'll know for sure that it your device that's malfunctioning and not your fingers. :wink:
  • Another trick that I have used successfully also is to navigate directly to the address, without using contacts, just issue a GO TO command to that address; and then observe in the top field how the address is displayed - if you use the very same format to key in the address for your contact, for sure it will work.
  • infama 0 Points
    Patruns,

One way to check if the update was well done is to check the TTS voices. The new updated voices are near TT quality.
    Can U confirm this?
  • patruns 10 Points
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Patruns. Just pick one address that doesn't work and try to tweak it this way:

• Do not use abbreviations in state names, spell it out (e.g. California, not CA)
    • Do not leave the country field blank, show US or Canada
    • Type in the zip/postal code
    • Do not use HWY or Highway, just key in the number
    • For Drive, Court, Crescent, Street, you can use abbreviations but omit the period, so you could us Dr but not [Dr.]
    • In Canada, postal codes use a combination of letters and numbers X#X X#X – you need the space between the first three and last three characters.
    • When you key in the address, do no use commas to separate street number, street names, city, province/state, country… all in one segment.

If you don't have success, PM me an impersonal one, like a business address, I'll get it to work here at my end and PM you back the exact format to use. If it still doesn't work, then we'll know for sure that it your device that's malfunctioning and not your fingers. :wink:
    I think US was the key. I tried leaving blank and also United States. It works now. Thanks UB!!!!!!!

I still reboot from the contact though........... :?
  • patruns 10 Points
    Patruns,

One way to check if the update was well done is to check the TTS voices. The new updated voices are near TT quality.
    Can U confirm this?
    Hard to say from the "test" of the voice. Seems a little clearer and definitly louder...........
  • Uncle Ben 0 Points
    edited April 2008
    @patruns: Connect your 310 to your desktop/laptop, fire up explorer and explore the drive for your 310 - look at the iPaq TTS folder specifically - most of the files listed there should be dated the date of your download. If not, then your DL didn't stick.
  • @partuns:
    I still reboot from the contact though...........
    OK, let's tackle that one for a minute. Let's take it in steps. Your now using a contact that you have tweaked, and for which there is a yellow/greening checkmark in the CONTACT applications, which means that it is navigatable - is that correct?

If affirmative, then tell me step by step what is it that you're doing to cause the 310 to reboot - I just need to understand exactly what you're doing so that I can replicate this on mine and see what the heck is going on. Between you and I and the gatepost, I don't think you have a hardware issue; and on the assumption that your DL was done successfully, then we should both be the same. Let's see.
  • infama 0 Points
    I thibnk there was a problem with the DL. If it was proper, his TTS improvement would be dramatic, not just a little better.
  • I thibnk there was a problem with the DL. If it was proper, his TTS improvement would be dramatic, not just a little better.
    It could be but one way to find out for sure is to look at the dates of those files. We have to remember that our perception of the improvement is very very subjective - what may sound fantastic or dramatic for you and me, may be perceived as hardly noticeable by some, and I've seen posts to that effect already.
  • patruns 10 Points
    tell me step by step what is it that you're doing to cause the 310 to reboot
    Go into a specific contact and edit it. (Over-type something.) Then save the change. I reboot at that point but the change is saved. Deleting a contact does the same thing as does adding one. All changes "stick", I just get a reboot. More annoying then a real problem.............
  • patruns 10 Points
    I thibnk there was a problem with the DL. If it was proper, his TTS improvement would be dramatic, not just a little better.
    infama, I can't really say for sure until I test the voice on the road. The voice is clear but it is hard to judge by just the few words spoken when you test your choice of voice. I'll have to take it on the road for a bit tomorrow to see how much better it is. As to the download, it is complete and all files are new.
  • patruns 10 Points
    UB:

You said after the last update you could no longer easily avoid a section of the route with the toggle wheel and the touch screen. Can you after this update?
  • tell me step by step what is it that you're doing to cause the 310 to reboot

Go into a specific contact and edit it. (Over-type something.) Then save the change. I reboot at that point but the change is saved. Deleting a contact does the same thing as does adding one. All changes "stick", I just get a reboot. More annoying then a real problem.............
    Did you add any 3rd party applications to your 310 - like Total Commander, some file manager, video software to supplement the native one ...
  • patruns 10 Points
    No, unit is stock with only the updates via CM. I had this issue before the update yesterday but cannot say for sure whether it existed out of the box as I updated it right away. I was under the impression others had this problem as well, at least before the last update.
  • UB:

You said after the last update you could no longer easily avoid a section of the route with the toggle wheel and the touch screen. Can you after this update?
    Patruns, patruns, testing, testing .... :lol: Yes, that functionality has been restored. I just did two quick tests, one to avoid a city street; the other to avoid 30kms of highway, both worked 100%.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Yes, I just tried it as well and it works now. Hey, is HP going to pay us for the beta testing? :P
  • @patruns: Connect your 310 to your desktop/laptop, fire up explorer and explore the drive for your 310 - look at the iPaq TTS folder specifically - most of the files listed there should be dated the date of your download. If not, then your DL didn't stick.
    Patruns - did I miss your reply on this ... what dates to have when you look at that folder?
  • No, unit is stock with only the updates via CM. I had this issue before the update yesterday but cannot say for sure whether it existed out of the box as I updated it right away. I was under the impression others had this problem as well, at least before the last update.
    Just want to make sure. You say 'no', as you DO NOT have any 3rd party applications running on your 310, correct?
  • patruns 10 Points
    @patruns: Connect your 310 to your desktop/laptop, fire up explorer and explore the drive for your 310 - look at the iPaq TTS folder specifically - most of the files listed there should be dated the date of your download. If not, then your DL didn't stick.

Patruns - did I miss your reply on this ... what dates to have when you look at that folder?
    In the OS folder they are all 4/26/08 except for aaashell.dll which is 4/16/08. Most of the NAV folder files are 4/16/08 but nav.exe is 4/26/08. Bluetooth folder is mostly 4/16/08. And my Susan files are all 4/26/08.
  • Then I would think that your update went OK.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Then I would think that your update went OK.
    I think it did too. The only issue I still have is the reboot after editing the contact list. Everything else seems to be ok.
  • tell me step by step what is it that you're doing to cause the 310 to reboot

But this is a new issue, no? I thought your issue was that you could NOT navigate to a contact, period. I'm confused.
  • infama 0 Points
    tell me step by step what is it that you're doing to cause the 310 to reboot

But this is a new issue, no? I thought your issue was that you could NOT navigate to a contact, period. I'm confused.
    No, That is what was happening to me and many others pre-udate. This last update was specifically targetted to correct this problem.

Only thing I can think of is to advise Patruns to do a full restore from backup, either at the startup of CM or when he gets inside the program properly and uses the menu to do a restore.

I would advise doing a separate Windows Explorer backup first though.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Sorry UB, I think we are missing each other's answers. You helped me solve the route to a contact issue. I am only left with the rebooting issue after editing the contact list.

infama, I saw the note about a full restore and do not want to go there after all the update problems. This is not a deal breaker for me. If one small piece of the update didn't take I would rather wait for the next update to get it working as it seems they replace almost all of the files during an update anyway.
  • But this is a new issue, no? I thought your issue was that you could NOT navigate to a contact, period. I'm confused.

Sorry UB, I think we are missing each other's answers. You helped me solve the route to a contact issue. I am only left with the rebooting issue after editing the contact list.

infama, I saw the note about a full restore and do not want to go there after all the update problems. This is not a deal breaker for me. If one small piece of the update didn't take I would rather wait for the next update to get it working as it seems they replace almost all of the files during an update anyway.
    OK, good, so at least I know I'm not going senile. So I know you can run PATruns, but slow down a little and walkme through it, will you? You close the navigation application, you're now on the main screen; and tap on Contacts, select one of them (one that you have tweaked and is now navigatable, with a yellow/greenish checkmark ...), you edit the name let's say, and change Ray for Raymond. And then what happens.
  • @Patruns - One more question I meant to ask you. These contacts that are causing you a reboot, are these contacts that were born out of a sync session with Outlook? If affirmative, have you tried entering a nagivatable contact MANUALLY on your 310; and then see if you have the same problem with editing/rebooting issue. I suspect that the synchronization with Outlook is still problematic and might be at the route cause of this issue.
  • patruns 10 Points
    UB, no Outlook sync involved. (I don't even use Outlook.) You have it right, I go into a contact and either edit it or delete it or.... I add a new contact and the update process causes a reboot, but I briefly see the contact list first and all changes are truly saved. As you can see, it is an inconvenience but not a major issue since I can use the contact list. Routing to a contact does not cause a reboot.
  • UB, no Outlook sync involved. (I don't even use Outlook.) You have it right, I go into a contact and either edit it or delete it or.... I add a new contact and the update process causes a reboot, but I briefly see the contact list first and all changes are truly saved. As you can see, it is an inconvenience but not a major issue since I can use the contact list. Routing to a contact does not cause a reboot.
    OK - so all the contacts that you currently have on your 310 did NOT come from a synchronization session to Outlook, but each and everyone of them was keyed manually. Is that correct?
  • patruns 10 Points
    UB, no Outlook sync involved. (I don't even use Outlook.) You have it right, I go into a contact and either edit it or delete it or.... I add a new contact and the update process causes a reboot, but I briefly see the contact list first and all changes are truly saved. As you can see, it is an inconvenience but not a major issue since I can use the contact list. Routing to a contact does not cause a reboot.

OK - so all the contacts that you currently have on your 310 did NOT come from a synchronization session to Outlook, but each and everyone of them was keyed manually. Is that correct?
    That is correct. :)
  • Well then my friend, I've run out of clues. I have no idea what's causing your 310 to reboot every time you change Ray for Raymond. Try using intials instead, that might solve it!

I'm kidding! I'm kidding! No, kidding aside, I have no clue.

Cheers!

HappyTrails! Drive Safe (but don't edit Contacts, it will cause a reset! :P )
  • MTurbo 91 Points
    Got up this morning and saw it was stuck with 43meg left to download.

So I stop and restart and it continued, a few hours later I check and it said succesfull. I check by updatable list and none is being dispalyed.

I just disconnected the ipaq and restart the content manager and it shows no 201megs update needed?? It all updated, but if thats the case why do I still have my mod color scheme and transparent menu etc. With the larger Susan files it was left with 115meg free. Still shows 115megs free. During the update it said after it would be 145meg free. I presume it was over writing the Susan tts files from the Tom Tom.

Im still getting reboot and all my color scheme and transparent menu is there.

With the new update does it not over reset factory defaults?

I cant navigate to a contact or add a new contact after the update, same as before?

I just checked the cache folder where the files are downloaded and only see the 43meg that was done a few hours ago. I see the other files from April 12 download but where is the other 160meg from last night??

I just deleted the cache folder and restart content manage and check no update available. I tried to delete the ipaq app so it would download the 201megs again and it said cant remove that file.

Think I might be using that HP service box this week and have them load it.
  • MTurbo - You want to try something here. Reconnect your 310 but don't start CM. Once connected, use Explorer to navigate to the Ipaq directory and look at the files. If the update went through OK, most of the files should be dated the date of your update. If not, then something went wrong - or else the copy operation didn't take place, just the download. In which case, you can open CM again and see if it picks up where you left it and installs the new files. Just a thought.

About navigating to a contact, look for the other thread on that subject - it might help.
  • infama 0 Points
    The update overwrote all my mods, so I agree that MTurbo may have had an installation (copy) problem.
  • patruns 10 Points
    I tried to delete the ipaq app so it would download the 201megs again and it said cant remove that file.
    That's the one file that CM will not delete. (I think infama told me that.........)
  • MTurbo 91 Points
    Just got home used the Navigon 7100. Went to a food show near the airport. Liked the reality view of the higway signs from 407 to 427 south etc. :)

Uncle Ben all my current contacts are entered properly and I was able to navigate to them with no problems before the last update. There is a green check mark beside each address and they all used to work before.

The address are entered properly, as I try to save a new contact it crashes and reboots.

I just check by hooking it up the ipaq to the computer and viewing the files. Very few have changed the nav.exe, a two files under the bluetooth directory, SpanishMX, SpanishAM, and Juliette etc.

The data folder that it had downloaded is the same dated April 18 2008 this was when I last made a modification.

What give and why would the ipaq thinks it updated and its not.

As a last try before I send the ipaq to hp Im copying the entrire ipaq directory back to the ipaq with no mods just a backup after the last update. I cleared the cache so there i snot files and will see what it downloads.

If it does not download the complete by tomm morning I will send it in for repair with instructions tomake sure its imaged with the current fix that does not reboot when I try and save a contact.

I did notice that the gas station now shows up with the pump icon.
  • MTurbo 91 Points
    edited April 2008
    Success finally. I was going to send back my unit to hp for them to load the new software.

I copied back all the files from the last update from my hard drive to the ipaq. It took a long time to copy the files from the hard drive to the ipaq over 90mins+.

I also cleared the cache in content manager and Sunday evening plug in the ipaq to update.

Before I went to bed 12am I checked and it was still updating it had 74 megs to go. Got up this morning around 7:30am and checked the laptop, got lucky it said all successful.

After it began to update the ipaq and could see it counting down the meg to install etc.

Once this was all done I verified the files though windows explorer and was glad to see that most of the files now had April 28 date including the data.zip folder.

I unplugged the ipaq and tried to enter a new contact, I was successful. I then ran through a few stored contacts and was able to navigate to them no problems.

I then restored all my mods, daytime 3d color and the transparent menu. Did not have much time to test but the Susan TTS did not sound as clear as the TomTom mod so I also copied over the 3 files.

Drove to work this morning on regular roads with no problems. So far so good, let’s hope from here the Ipaq can only get better with software updates.

Have not driven on the highway yet and exit where there is a name and number for the exit. I know someone mentioned that if there is both the ipaq still says the number rather than the name.

Let’s hope in the next update from HP they can address this issue.

I'm now wondering during the download process if you stop it(get stuck) and restart/continue the update till its complete, if this causes a problem when it tires to do the install? The reason I mention this is what happend to me on Sunday morning. I noticed only certain files were updated when I check the cache folder not all 201megs was there.

Yesterday download was done in one shot I did not have any pop up saying copy/retry files etc.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Congrats MT. We are a patient bunch indeed...................
  • mcx6 0 Points
    I had just noticed with the newest update on my 310, while I am navigating and as a crossroad comes and it has a dark border on the edge of that crossroad, i get random pixels of the dark border flashing white while it is moving. I do not remember the 310 doing this before this update, this may have been there and I just not noticed it, does anyone else see this.

I have not done any mods to this unit after this update and the only one I did before was the Susan TTS mod.
  • @mcx6: I don't get that, in either of 2D or 3D. Sounds like your screen might be defective. I would get in touch to HP Tech Support and see what they say.
  • mcx6 0 Points
    Thanks Uncle Ben for the quick response, I will check with HP and see what they have too say.
  • infama 0 Points
    Congrats MT,

Your solution sound almost exactly like the advice I gave another poster today on how to force a new DL.

I am happy for you. Seems all went well in the end, despite the hellish experience! I cant wait for the new update tool, I tell ya.
  • MTurbo 91 Points
    infama thanks, I figured I would give the ipaq one more shot at the update, glad that I did.

If you don't mind an you mention to your HP contact there is a issue with TTS in that if the street that you are making a turn/exit has both a name and number the ipaq since April update speaks the number and not the name.

Other than that I don't think there is any issues left is there?? :D
  • infama 0 Points
    Oh, that was done from last week!

I dont think the device itself has any more problems now.