This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuviphone at AT&T?

gatorguy 326 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Get ready to start answering brand new types of questions. Rumor is that Garmin's Nuviphone is going to be marketed by AT&T for $499, with data plan available under $20. Aren't these the same guys pushing the I-Phone?

Comments

• Tim 1481 Points
    AT&T is no surprise. It is a GSM phone so in the USA it would only work on AT&T and T-Mobile networks.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Updating this old thread....

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/story/10466170/1/smartphones-to-look-forward-to.html
    Because of the international cellular frequencies that Garmin is using, AT&T would be the only real choice for releasing its phones here, unless special models are produced for Verizon, Sprint or T-Mobile.
    This strikes me as a bad thing for Garmin as it puts them head-to-head with the iPhone, not to mention other smart phones from AT&T. If you currently have Verizon, for example, you would need to switch to AT&T to get a NuviPhone. But if you're going to do that anyway, you would also probably consider the advantages of an iPhone.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Excellent points Boyd. Perhaps some may need to wait for the Android version expected later this year that could be designed for use on other networks. Can't imagine that Asus would have technical issues that would prevent Verizon or even Sprint from using the phones with their networks. Wouldn't be the first ones they've ever built. :wink:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Rumor is that Garmin's Nuviphone is going to be marketed by AT&T for $499, with data plan available under $20.

Well, that explains it! Garmin closed UP $.02 today! :lol:
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Up at all is good

(They are up over 10% in the past three days, unlike the rest of the market) 8)
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Can't imagine that Asus would have technical issues that would prevent Verizon or even Sprint from using the phones with their networks. Wouldn't be the first ones they've ever built. :wink:
    Does Asus have any existing CDMA technology? (I don't know, just asking). It would seem to me more of their clients being overseas would be on GSM systems.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I've done a bit more reading now and there is method to Garmin's madness. Without going into a lot of detail concerning GSM or GPRS and position correction using NRTK (see... I've lost you already), the GSM service used by AT&T and T-Mobile allows very accurate position/location for an A-GPS device, which Garmin will be using. With continuous data via a fixed-IP SIM card designed for data transmission, the nuvi/Asus phones should be able to place their location very accurately and reliably. CDMA cannot, at least yet, give the same precision, and with dynamic-IP SIM cards designed for voice and data, cannot maintain a continual data stream. Also, much of the market push will be aimed at Europe where Vodafone holds most of the chips and GPRS/GSM is the standard. So in short, a reliable A-GPS mobile navigation solution really needs a continuous uninterrupted data stream, requiring an unlimited data plan, and a GSM/GPSR backbone to deliver the position corrections necessary. So I don't expect there will be CDMA compatible "nuviphone" in the near future.

At least that's the way this backwoods Gator understands it.
  • I haven't looked at the Nuviphone specs, but are you saying that it is just an A-GPS device and not a TRUE gps receiver?
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Rumor is that Garmin's Nuviphone is going to be marketed by AT&T for $499, with data plan available under $20.

For a better analysis you should probably check the historical prices for Garmin on May 1, 2008 since that is when Gator made the post you're quoting. :wink:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    (They are up over 10% in the past three days, unlike the rest of the market) 8)
    Sounds like a good selling opportunity.. :D
  • Spyder63 331 Points

For a better analysis you should probably check the historical prices for Garmin on May 1, 2008 since that is when Gator made the post you're quoting. :wink:

I stand by my statement/assessment, since it is timeless! :)
  • jdoolitt 0 Points
    Not AT&T-- but available in Asia, according to this article - http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/home/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20090723006343&newsLang=en

Garmin-Asus, a co-branded alliance between Garmin® Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN) and ASUSTeK Computer Inc. (TAIEX: 2357), announced that the Garmin-Asus nüvifone G60 will go on sale in Taiwan on July 27, and in Singapore and Malaysia by the end of August. Also in August, the Garmin-Asus nüvifone M20 will go on sale in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia.
  • IsLNdbOi 0 Points
    Sprint and Verizon's high speed EVDO networks in the US are more advanced and can carry heavier loads than AT&T's and T-Mobile's HSDPA and Edge networks.

A-GPS functionality on my Sprint Touch Pro. works just fine compared to it on my brother's iPhone 3GS.

If they want to break into a large market in the US, they'd do well to create CDMA models. Also, being on AT&T means they'd be going directly against the iPhone.

Hmmm... guess what every average joe and lay person is going to choose.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Notice that this thread is 14 months old....
  • jdoolitt 0 Points
    The link I posted a couple of days ago was to a current announcement that the NuviPhone was finally going to be released, albeit in Asia. I resurrected this thread instead of starting up a new one.. since there was titbots already in here -- and because it emphasized the fact that talk about this phone has been going on for over a year.

So yeah -- the thread is over 14 months old. :)
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Kind of a miracle - The Second Coming! :lol: :lol: :wink: Or is it the 3rd, 4th??
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I resurrected this thread instead of starting up a new one..
    Sure, I get that - and thanks for not starting another thread on the same topic. I made that comment for two reasons: First, because the original thrust of the thread was that AT&T was on the brink of offering the NuviPhone. Second because IsLNdbOi's post appeared to acknowledge that NuviPhone on AT&T was a done deal (sorry if I misinterpreted that).

To me, the real point is that 14 months ago we thought the NuviPhone was a done deal here in the US. Today... not so much.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Garmin stock had a big pop yesterday on good earnings, today it's giving back some of those gains.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124948545120808043.html

But that online version of the article is missing some info found in the print edition...
    Mr. Pemble said Garmin still expects to release its Nuvifone, a wireless device incorporating GPS capabilities, in the second half of the year in Europe and in the fourth quarter in North America. Garmin is developing the device in partnership with Taiwan-based Asustek Computer, Inc.
    BTW, this reminds me that it's "Nuvifone" with an "f" and not a "ph"! :roll:
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Thanks for catching the update Boyd.

Garmin's 2nd quarter results surprised me. Figured the profits to be flat. I didn't realize they had cut back expenses as sharply as it appears they have.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Hi all - I found the Nuvifone on the FCC site. It's been sitting there since January.

And they thought they could hide it under the Asus brand..... FCC ID is MSQ-CALF. All references to Garmin were written as graphics, in the hopes that a text search of the FCC database wouldn't find it.

Updated photos are being withheld until 9/30 - seems like an announcement would be made before that date.

Asus/Garmin Nuvifone G60

Full 4" (diagonal) touchscreen. The shape looks like a black Palm TX (without the buttons on the bottom). It has a camera on the back.

SiRFstarIII GSC3LT GPS chip. A-GPS capable hardware (if Garmin pays SIRF the license).

Pictures are here:
    https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=1042279&native_or_pdf=pdf

Draft instruction manual here:
    https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=1042285&native_or_pdf=pdf

800/1900 mhz GSM/GPRS/EDGE/WCDMA/HSPDA - this mean's it's AT&T 3G capable. Notes said hardware was revised per AT&T testing, this confirms it's coming for AT&T.

Includes camera, wifi, & bluetooth, headphone jack, & microsd slot. Comes with a car mount.

Runs Qtopia, thus it's a Linux-based phone.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Hi all - I found the Nuvifone on the FCC site. It's been sitting there since January.
    It was actually found back on December 15/18th~ish.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Surprising - lots of detail on the FCC site, I'm surprised none of that detail made it to this forum (or I missed it, I don't hang around the Garmin area much).

In any case, they noted a "hardware change" on 7/27. With pics of the hardware change due end of Sept.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    We've talked about it briefly, but frankly readers are not as obsessive about the device as many bloggers are. At trade-shows people (I can't confirm nor deny my own actions) have been sneaking a peak into the SIM slot on the phones and they have all had AT&T sim cards in them.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Anyone see this survey question?

“Now, how likely would you be to buy the Garmin nüvifone (for yourself or as a gift) if offered by AT&T for $499.99 with a two year contract? You would be required to have both a data plan that would include unlimited Internet browsing and unlimited Navigation for $19.99 per month and one of the standard voice rate plans for a monthly fee.”
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    edited August 2009
    Where would we have seen that?

Good luck with that! 8gb 3g iPhone is $99, 32gb iPhone 3gs is $299. Choose your own navigation app (TomTom/Navigon) and still come out WAY ahead. I'd say it's dead in the water at that price (not to mention the fact that it's still vaporware).
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Yes, I saw that-- That was 6+ months ago though wasn't it? It wasn't in the most recent Garmin surveys.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Looking a little more closely at Gator's post... the iPhone data plan is $30, so I guess you would gradually recoup the higher initial cost. But I still think it would be a non-starter because people don't want to pay that much up front.

Has Garmin said anything about 3rd party apps on the Nuvifone? I have not seen any mention of them. If you are just limited to phone/browser/e-mail/nuvi, that is pretty limited.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    They haven't specifically said anything about third party apps that I recall-- but remember that they are using a combination of Android and Windows mobile OS's so there should be available options.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Garmin is starting to shoot a TV commercial for the Nuvifone today in Chicago.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Latest rumor has the M20 appearing at AT&T in September.
  • mvl 191 Points
    They haven't specifically said anything about third party apps that I recall-- but remember that they are using a combination of Android and Windows mobile OS's so there should be available options.
    Windows mobile? The S60 runs Qtopia (linux GUI), so I didn't think Linux would be in the picture. There are other winMo phones from Asus on the FCC site, but they have keyboards and smaller touchscreens so I can't see them becoming Nuvifones.
  • mvl 191 Points
    I take that back - I guess the smaller-screen Windows Mobile M20 will be launched as a Nuvifone.

http://www.garminasus.com/garmin/cms/site/home/lang/en_GB/welcome/support

I didn't see anything matching the M20 on the FCC site. The closest device out there is a winMo smartfone that is 3G for AT&T - Asus could be disguising the M20 under that approval. There is no reference to Garmin (yet) on the device's documentation, and the physical casing is a tad bit different.

Also intriguing is a new Asus EE-PC that they have withheld details (including all pictures) on until 9/19. It is a full fledged winXP device, that I think will be a mini-laptop. But it has built in support for GSM 3G and CDMA 3G data. Could be another Garmin device, they could even be hiding an in-dash device under that approval.
  • I'd say the Garmin Nuviphone is about 1 year too late to be relevant. Nobody except for hard-core Garmin fans are going to buy this at a premium price.

Now if they offer it for say $250 with no data plan requirement it may be moderately attractive for those who never add apps to their phones.
  • mvl 191 Points
    I agree that they are probably late to the game. But I think there will be some market for this:

The Nuvifone has a sirfstar chip and I assume it has a Garmin-engineered antenna, so it'll have much better GPS reception than any other smartphone out there.

Also, if it were released today, it would be the only smartphone turn-by-turn with realtime traffic. But I doubt that status will remain for long.

Also, I consider Tomtom as Garmin's only real smartphone competition, from a resources, potential technology, and branding standpoint. And I doubt Tomtom will release a windows mobile or linux app any time soon because it's too easy to pirate those apps. So the M20 may be the only top-tier MinMo smartphone nav when it comes out.

Personally, I'm looking for a replacement for my Palm Tx. Ideally, I'd like to converge the palm Tx with my PND (keeping a separate phone). So I'm paying attention to the rumored Garmin internet tablet, and the Tomtom app for the rumored 6" iTouch.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I think Garmin would have dropped their phone plans long ago if it wasn't for the potential they have in the Asian market. While those markets already have a plethora of highly capable phones, I think they can gain more traction there than in North America. Were the Nuvifone to be a North America only, or NA and Europe only product I think they would have dropped the idea by now.

• Also, if it were released today, it would be the only smartphone turn-by-turn with realtime traffic. But I doubt that status will remain for long..
    There are a number of iPhone packages that claim they are releasing Realtime traffic imminently. We'll see. Why TomTom didn't do so at launch is inexplicable considering they already have all the infrastructure set up for it.

I suspect by the time the Nuviphone is launched in NA it's features will have been duplicated or surpassed on the iPhone. They will really need to price this well to make any sense for consumers.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Make the Nuvifone waterproof and I'll buy it.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I've got a ziplock bag I think it will fit in. 8)
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I said waterproof, not spit-proof. :)
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Why TomTom didn't do so at launch is inexplicable considering they already have all the infrastructure set up for it.
    Gives them the opportunity to offer it as a paid upgrade in the future...
  • I actually bought some small (iphone size) ziplock bags off ebay for the purpose of weatherproofing my iPhone. Now when I go skiing or golfing my iPhone stays dry.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I was kidding. . . really!
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Speaking of AT&T... they were ripped in an opinion piece by hedge fund manager Andy Kessler in today's Wall Street Journal...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204683204574358552882901262.html
    What this episode really uncovers is that AT&T is dying. AT&T is dragging down the rest of us by overcharging us for voice calls and stifling innovation in a mobile data market critical to the U.S. economy.

The FCC better not treat AT&T and Verizon like Citigroup, GM and the Post Office. Cellphone operators aren't too big to fail. Rather, the telecom sector is too important to be allowed to hold back the rest of us.
  • mvl 191 Points
    I don't agree with the article.

AT&T is just trying to get a financial piece of the app action. I see this as healthy competition to the device manufacturers, the writer is definitely has a bias that device manufacturers are the only ones who can make good apps.

The cell-co's are often a leader in innovation. AT&T launched Pandora before any mobile device had it. Carrier-branded phone navigation far out-sold app-based phone navigation (at least before the wave of iPhone apps).

Verizon is making a device-neutral app store/API. Once an app is written, it will work on any phone sold by Verizon or Vodafone worldwide (taking a page from the Acrobat and Java playbook).

Yes it sucks that I have to live by AT&T's data restrictions. T-mobile had been more open, but when they locked down late August, I jumped to AT&T since they now have the most open of the networks.

With Garmin assumedly aligning w/AT&T, and Tomtom assumedly aligning with Verizon, it will be a fun battle to watch. Even Navigon has announced T-mobile as their global partner. With healthy competition, the consumer always wins.
  • FWIW, Garmin admits they have no major carrier agreement for the initial nuviphone model in Europe and don't expect one, tho they said they are confident that subsequent models to be released next year will.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Sorry if this was already posted elsewhere Tim, but I see that Garmin and AT&T just announced the Nuvifone today with availability on October 4:

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2009/09/att-and-garmin-announce-a-new-mobile-navigation-era-with-nuvifone-the-navigation-phone.html?activeBranchId=newsroom
    AT&T and Garmin Announce a New Mobile Navigation Era with nüvifone, The Navigation Phone
    Posted September 29, 2009 | 08:01 AM

DALLAS and OLATHE, September 29, 2009 — AT&T* and Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN) today announced the Garmin nüvifone G60 will be available beginning October 4 only for AT&T customers in the U.S. in AT&T stores and online at www.wireless.att.com.
    The nüvifone G60 provides one of the easiest-to-use location experiences available because it is the only phone to fully integrate the world’s best selling GPS navigator with voice, data and mobile web.

“Personal navigation devices are already all about mobility and taking the Garmin experience everywhere as your mobile phone is truly compelling for customers who travel often,” said Michael Woodward, vice president, Mobile Phone Portfolio, AT&T Mobility and Consumer Markets. “We expect the nüvifone to be the guide for local restaurants, the least-expensive gas and the nearest coffee shop for many customers.”

”The nüvifone weaves location into nearly every facet of its functionality making it ideal for people who depend on location to navigate everyday life,” said Cliff Pemble, Garmin’s president and COO. “The nüvifone has Garmin’s easy-to-use interface, so navigating to a meeting directly from its calendar or contacts pages, or geotagging an email or photograph with a location stamp, is intuitive, useful and fun.”

Navigate with turn-by-turn guidance
    The nüvifone G60 has the same core features as a high-end Garmin nüvi® and comes preloaded with maps and millions of points of interest (POI) for North America. Customers who purchase a nüvifone will have everything that they need to use the device as an in-car navigation unit including a dashboard and windshield mount. The device can easily be mounted in the car or detached for portable navigational use.

Because the maps reside on the nüvifone customers always have access to navigation and they can receive turn-by-turn voice-prompted directions that speak street names to millions of destinations. If a turn is missed along the route, the nüvifone will automatically recalculate a route and get the user back on track. The nüvifone is able to provide reliable location information in the most challenging conditions because it has a real GPS receiver with Garmin’s HotFix™ technology and assisted GPS.

The nüvifone also has a “Where am I?” feature so users will know their exact latitude and longitude coordinates, nearest address, intersection, hospital, police station and gas station with one touch of the screen. Another great feature of nüvifone is for users who cannot find their car in an unfamiliar spot or crowded parking lot, nüvifone will automatically mark the position in which it was last removed from the windshield mount.

Surf the web
    Nüvifone customers are just one click away from a full HTML browser that can be accessed via the nation’s fastest 3G network, or AT&T’s more than 20,000 Wi-Fi hotspots. Garmin’s location link, which parses addresses on the web with latitude and longitude information, allows customers to easily navigate to addresses they discover on the web by simply touching the address. The touch-screen virtual keyboard which includes predictive text, is customizable to QWERTY or A to Z to allow customers to easily type in web addresses or send and receive text messages.

Capture quality photos
    The nüvifone G60 also includes a three megapixel camera with auto-focus. The camera automatically geotags images with an exact latitude and longitude reference of where the image was taken. Customers may then save the image so they can navigate back to the location, or email the geo-tagged image to others.

Stay connected
    In addition to millions of preloaded POIs, customers can supplement the data with additional free and subscription content. The nüvifone includes free access to AT&T’s Yellow Pages, flight status and converter. Premium Connected Services gives customers subscription access to real-time traffic information, fuel prices, White Pages, weather and more.

Price and Availability
    The nüvifone G60 will be available in AT&T stores or at www.wireless.att.com on October 4 for $299 with a two year service agreement after $100 mail-in-rebate. Nüvifone Premium Connected Services which includes traffic updates, white pages, weather, movie, local events and fuel price content are available for $5.99/month after a 30-day trial.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Sorry if this was already posted elsewhere
    Yes, it is in the smartphone forum, Is the Nuvifone Still Relevant?.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Haha, sorry, too many different threads. But anyway, it's official now. So I guess we will soon be able to answer the question as to whether it's still relevant.

The Garmin page has links to AT&T for more info, but they take you to AT&T's homepage which doesn't say anything about the Nuvifone. Typing "nuvifone" into the search box at AT&T yields no results. It's not listed on AT&T's smartphone page either:

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/pda-phones-smartphones.jsp

It certainly isn't getting top billing over there! :lol:
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Perhaps by when it becomes available on Sunday/Monday.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    No doubt. But it's pretty lame to issue a press release with multiple links to AT&T that lead to dead ends.