This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Tide Calculations and NOAA Tide Stations

Greetings. I have a Garmin 276c and appreciate and use the tide chart / solunar tables application. I have a few questions though...... The closest tide station available for reference on the unit/chip is 85 miles away. There is a registered NOAA tide station 150 yards from my house, but it is not available as a reference station on my unit/chip. Does the unit calculate the estimated tides from my location via GPS coordinate relative to the nearest station? Or does it give me the tidal info as they are calculated at the tide station 85 miles away? Also, is there a way to add Tide Stations to the list on the unit/chip or do I have to wait for an update to the charts?
Thanks,
Bill

Comments

• Tim 1465 Points
    There isn't any way I know of to add your own tide stations. You would likely need to wait for the next update.

I'm unsure if it interpolates values between tide stations or not, however I'm pretty confident it does not. You (or I) could check with support on that.
  • Here's a string of e-mails to and from Garmin support on the subject. They've given up and stopped responding to my requests for info.

Request emailed to
    Problem:
    Greetings. I have a Garmin 276c and appreciate and use the tide
    chart /solunar tables application. I have a few questions though...... The
    closest tide station available for reference on the unit/data card
    is 85 miles away. There is a registered NOAA tide station 150 yards from my house, but it is not available as a reference station on my
    unit/datacard. Does the unit calculate the estimated tides from my
    location via GPS coordinate relative to the nearest station? Or
    does it give me the tidal info as it is calculated at the tide station 85
    miles away? Also, is there a way to add Tide Stations to the list on the
    unit/datacard or do I have to wait for an update to the charts?
    Thanks.
    On May 31, 2007, at 10:48 PM, TechSupp wrote:

Thank you for contacting Garmin product support. I will be happy to
    help you with this!
    Added tide station would be available in softwares update offered
    by our company. I have provided a link to the most current software version that we have available for the unit. You may also want to do a manual search in your location on the unit. When you go to the Search For Station option in the main menu if you press the Menu button you
    will be given an option to search for stations near other. You then will be
    able to move the cursor to you location and then search from you position. You may be able to find more locations if you search using this
    method.

Best Regards,
    Dewan B.
    Marine Team
    Nights
    Garmin International

The tide station is not listed.....
    Does the computer extrapolate the tidal conditions for my current
    location from the nearest tide station or does it just give me the
    tidal conditions of the nearest station?

Thank you for contacting Garmin product support. I will be happy to help
    you with this!

It gives you the tidal condition of the nearest station.

Best Regards,
    Dewan B.
    Marine Team
    Nights
    Garmin International

Can you insure that if I were to upgrade my software that I would be able to have the proper tidal data from Port Aransas, Texas on the charts? I think it is quite untenable that the high cost of the charts allows for tidal data that is irrelevant to where I need to use it.....

They have not replied to the last inquiry. Is there anyway of determining the Tide Stations listed/used in the Garmin maps?
  • Tim 1465 Points
    I would guess, but certainly don't know for sure, that they get their list from the NOAA Tides and Currents info. I lack a lot of marine knowledge though. Is there a more official source?
  • I'm sure that's where they get them, but as my post references, not all the tide stations are available on my gps. What I need to know and what garmin won't tell me, is whether or not the tide station that would be most relevant is on the latest version of the charts.
  • I have a reply! Worthless reply... Do they think I don't understand that I can update the software? Nice offshore support.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for contacting Garmin product support. I will be happy to help
    you with this!

I cannot garauntee that it will add support for the tide station that
    you are looking for. You may update the software on the unit.

Best Regards,
    Dewan B.
    Marine Team
    Nights
    Garmin International
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You mean to tell me you do not have a list of tide stations that are referenced by the software? Try looking on a unit with the latest version of software and searching for Port Aransas, TX in the Western Gulf of Mexico.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------