The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

How to UNLOAD maps form C330 and other products?

I have C330 with American maps 2008 and I purchased 2009. The problem is when I try to update with 2009 it tells me I have no space on the device. I can't figure out HOW REMOVE/UNLOAD maps present on my device (2008 ones) so that I can upload 2009 update!

I do not want to use SD Card and Garmin said its possible to unload previous maps.

I do not have programmable data card or SD card so when I try to use 2009 update it says - no space available on device.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• snad 0 Points
    I have C330 with American maps 2008 and I purchased 2009. The problem is when I try to update with 2009 it tells me I have no space on the device. I can't figure out HOW REMOVE/UNLOAD maps present on my device (2008 ones) so that I can upload 2009 update!

I do not want to use SD Card and Garmin said its possible to unload previous maps.

I do not have programmable data card or SD card so when I try to use 2009 update it says - no space available on device.

Thanks in advance!
    I'm having the same problem, does anyone have a solution? What does Garmin support say?
  • Tim 1271 Points
    Did it say you have no space, or not enough space? You should get prompted to install just a subset of the North American maps. The installation will take care of removing the old map for you when it knows that it will have enough space for the new map. (It will account for the map it is removing.) Most people have had the option to install just the "USA 48" for example since the entire North America map will not fit.
  • Tim, I'm trying to install the 2009 maps on my brother-in-law's C340 and I get the same "out of space" message with MapInstall. I've tried to install just a single state but I get the same message. The GPS is apparently completely full. And unlike the Nuvis that I'm a little more familiar with this GPS doesn't seem to have a way to mount it as a drive under Windows, so there's no manual way to delete the map.

Are there perhaps different MapInstall programs? I'm using the version that I used for my Nuvi760.
  • Tim 1271 Points
    How much free space do you have on your computer? I know it is saying the GPS is out of memory-- but I'm starting to believe that if the drive on your computer doesn't have a couple of GB free that it spits out the same warning.
  • I have 10GB free on my computer.

To get the 2009 maps to install on the 760 I had to delete the old map file first. But I can't seem to do that on the 340.
  • Tim 1271 Points
    You shouldn't have to delete the old map manually yourself-- something isn't quite right with your setup. When I updated my 760 and my 200 the map installer safely deletes the map by itself as part of the installation process. I wouldn't delete the map yourself. I'd give support a call and see what they advice.
  • Yeah, I should just call Garmin. For some reason it seems to make more sense to spend days and days screwing with this than spending a few minutes on the phone. ;-) Dang engineering background...
  • Hello HappyFunBoater:

I'm trying to do the same thing as you were back in June. I would like to be able to store the current V8 map on the computer as a backup and replace it with 2009 but, I get the same message as you were getting. Did you ever get an answer as how to do this. I'm sure it can be done as I've read where it was being talked about, I just haven't found the steps as to how. :(
  • Hello HappyFunBoater:

I'm trying to do the same thing as you were back in June. I would like to be able to store the current V8 map on the computer as a backup and replace it with 2009 but, I get the same message as you were getting. Did you ever get an answer as how to do this. I'm sure it can be done as I've read where it was being talked about, I just haven't found the steps as to how. :(
    Sorry, I never got this to work on my brother-in-law's C340. I'll see him again over Thanksgivings and will probably give it another try.
  • Just played with C340 and NT 2009. You replace the old maps in device by running the purchased dvd or download from Garmin.

mapsource or mapinstall only install the maps as supplements and onto SD card, as there are no space left on the GPS device. With mapsource, change the mapsetname to "ALL" before sending to device.

2GB SD is required as NT 2009 takes slightly over 1GB. You can disable the NT 2008 maps via setup->map->map info. (may require latest firmware update).
  • I see 2 options here:

1. Get the Product Key and run Setup.exe so that it can remove the pre-loaded map and free up device memory space. Who can help us getting the Product Key (8 digits)?

2. Use Windows Explorer to copy map files to the device. But I cannot see the device (StreetPilot C330) in my Windows Explorer. Can someone help?

Note: the USB connection btwn my device and PC is working - I've updated usb driver, firmware, operating system, etc...
  • 1. Purchase from Garmin
    2. Not with C330/C340. They don't show up as storage device.
  • I finally found an answer to my question, see below. The internal memory of the c330 is 1GB so I've read and the total size of NT 2009 is 1,050MB or 64 maps. With the deletion of a couple of maps, almost the whole 2009 mapset will fit on the internal memory and you can use your SD card for POI's etc.

Look at the 4th post in this link.
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/9532/x/p1/

Cheers

Jack
  • kirsch 0 Points
    To find out internal memory size amongst other things:

Touch and hold the top right hand corner of the screen for about 6 seconds.

Memory size is at the top line. My c340 shows 2GB.

http://www.smellybiker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=886 is very helpful.

I can fit the entire CNNANT2009 in internal memory, and put entire CNEUNT2009 on 2GB SD card.
  • Varified the SP c-330 has 1GB internal memory. Thanks Kirsch for the tip on how to find out. Knowing that I could just remove a couple of the 64 maps that make up the mapset, it should fit in the internal memory and free up my SD card. Woo Hoo.

Cheers

Jack
  • bredzy 0 Points
    Hey, I know its been about 5 years since your last post but i was wondering how did you get to remove maps on the C330 ?
  • C330 has read-only prebuilt memory which is not visible by PC and you don't have access to it. (EEPROM? :roll: I am sure) In this memory are stored voices, nuvi software, maps etc. as far as I remember. In general when you are recording a new mapping to the unit the old one is deleted and the new one is put on the place of the old one. But there is no direct way to delete it.
  • bredzy 0 Points
    Thanks for replying!

I think I read that earlier, When you install new maps the old ones are deleted. The problem is I only have Polish file that i cut out from from an IMG file. Its not an exe file. Any ideas ? Is it possible to create an installer from the POlish file?
  • You should compile the mp source file into img using lets say cgpsmapper. gmaptool can create an installer in MapSource or Mapsettoolkit as far as i remember. :roll: You will find much more information and support in gpsfiledepot over this issue.
  • bredzy 0 Points
    I just cant seem to get this working... I downloaded all the software needed but just dont know what to do. Can you please give some clearer instructions if possible? I really need to get this working for me..
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    Please give us a little more information. What map are your using and where did it originally come from? Do you actually have an .mp (Polish) source file? if so, where did that come from? What end result are you trying to achieve?
  • bredzy 0 Points
    Thanks for replying.. I have a .mp file and also a .IMG file that I cut out from an openstreetmap and added some personal tracks and stuff. I just need my area to be on the StreetPilot c330 nothing else. I need to replace the original Map on the C330 with my .IMG file. Please let me know if you need any other info . Thanks!!!
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    Sorry, I don't know how to remove the original map and don't understand why it would be needed.

But you can place your map on an SD memory card. The .img file you have might be usable as-is if you just create a Garmin folder in the root of the card, name the file gmapsupp.img and copy it there.

On the device click the wrench icon > Map > Map Info. This will allow you to disable the pre-loaded map and enable the map on the card. If the map doesn't work, you will need to compile your .mp file with cgpsmapper: http://cgpsmapper.com/

If you like, you can then install the map in Mapsource and use it to send the map to the card. See this tutorial:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/

Manual for your StreetPilot is here:

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/StreetPilotc330_OwnersManual.pdf
  • bredzy 0 Points
    WHen i click on the wrench there is no option to disable any maps. WHen i click on the wrench then MAP there are only two options at the bottom . Back and Retore. No map info option.
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    I am just going by the screenshot on page 17 of the manual. Sorry, I have never used one of these myself. Perhaps that option will not appear until you insert a card that contains a map, so you can't disable only map that is available?

Seems odd though, because how would you know what version of City Navigator is installed without a Map Info screen? :? What map is currently on the StreetPilot?
  • bredzy 0 Points
    Thats jus it. There is no map info option. I cant find what map is on there. The reason why i'm wanting the orginal map out is because I'm no longer in USA and I dont want the the entire map on there. Preferably only part of florida if not then I would like everthing else to be removed and my custom maps to be placed on there. This is getting to be really frustration. Think i'm just gonna smash the device! hahaha.