Magellan Explorist 500

edited November -1 in Magellan Handheld Forum
Thinking of getting one of these for a camping trip coming up. Does anyone know what Maggie charges for updated maps?

Don

Comments

• You would think they would make that easier to find on their website-- right now one would assume they didn't exist... and perhaps they don't! Topo maps don't change all that often though...
  • Tell that to Hawai'i!!

:wink:

Just kidding. I really did not think of that (too used to wanting accurate street maps).

I do see they have a(recent) firmware update.

Thank you.

Don
  • Just so you know, that the Explorist series is now considered obsolete (as in Magellan no longer suports) and does not have a high sensitivity receiver as do many handhelds.
  • Good to know. It is interesting. I found one on Craigslist for pretty cheap. The same device is still on Best Buy's website for 199.99. There is a newer Magellan for 129.00
  • If you are talking about Trtion, see my other posts in this section as well as tritonforums.com.

I would also take a good look at Garmins in this price range. I would have liked to to have upgraded to a new Magellan, considering I have their topo maps, but ultimately I went with a Garmin Legend HCx.
  • I am able to pick one up for about 50.00.

Think it would be a good intro until I can get something nicer. I have a TomTom 920T for the vehicle.

Don