This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Want Hand Held

2»

Comments

• Hey equipment junkie, where is our PN-40 review? :P
    Actually, I sent it back to Amazon for a refund. I didn't like the smaller and lower resolution screen once I saw it in person. I played around with it for a bit and it's a decent GPS. I was just already familiar with Garmin's Mapsource and didn't want to load/learn new software. Apparently, the Delorme software has quite a learning curve and I don't really need the aerial and satellite imagery for over land navigation. Even Tim himself said he didn't find that stuff useful. So, I opted for the highly acclaimed, proven and cheaper Garmin 60CSx. But this new Oregon thingy... :lol:
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I don't really need the aerial and satellite imagery for over land navigation. Even Tim himself said he didn't find that stuff useful.
    I did? Perhaps for a particular purpose... like geocaching. Otherwise, I must have not had my coffee that day. I find them incredibly useful.

Why Aerial Images Are Important
  • Sorry, Tim, if I'm mistaken, but I could have sworn you did regarding geocaching. To me, geocaching is the ultimate use of GPS in the field. Finding the "gnat's ass" in the middle of nowhere. If you can do that, you can get yourself anywhere. Just have to know where you want to go. And, as a piece of survival gear...do I really need a GPS to hike my way out if I go down in my job flying helicopters? Not really, but it's nice to have. :lol:

And, what is your favorite hand held for all around field use...the PN-40?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Sorry, Tim, if I'm mistaken, but I could have sworn you did regarding geocaching.
    Regarding geocaching, I probably did.
    And, what is your favorite hand held for all around field use...the PN-40?
    It depends what type of "field use" I'm doing. If I'm going trail hiking the DeLorme frequently wins for the ability to calculate a route along a trail without inserting a ton of via points. Also if I'm likely to end up in a bush-whacking scenario I'll take the PN-40 as well since the aerial imagery can yield important clues to cliffs, rockslides, and types of tree growth which can make a big difference in route selection. I also kayak quite a bit and getting the NOAA charts on-board is nice.

If I'm out to record a tracklog of a new trail the Oregon 400t wins over the PN-40. Despite coming with the same chipset, the antenna on the PN-40 is the patch type so it needs to be held in a particular orientation for best performance. While you can't get the official NOAA charts on board, the existing charts available can be nice while kayaking too because they are vector and you can zoom up on them unlike the raster NOAA charts that get too fuzzy.

So I suppose I could probably boil it down like this. The more pre-planning I can do for a trip, the more likely the PN-40 has better tools for the job. While the more spontaneous the trip and the shorter the trip, the more likely I'll grab the Oregon and be on my way.