The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Nuvi 660 reporting incorrect # of miles

My Nuvi 660 is reporting 260 miles from Roch, NY to Montpelier VT when from previous experience(and MapQuest and Rand McNally) I know it to be 360-380 miles. What gives? Anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• Can you explain exactly what you are looking at and how (which menus, locations, etc) you created the route?

If I had to guess I'd say that you are in Rochester, and pulled up a POI list (or similar) for something in Montpelier-- in which case you are looking at the straight line distance rather than a route distance. 260 miles looks about right for a straight line distance between those locations too.
  • I had a similar problem on my first (short) trip.

5 know the distance from my house to my friend's house in the next town. It's 12.8 miles on the route that the Nuvi 650 chose. (It was also that distance on my old Magellan and on my odometer).

The Nuvi shows it to be 7.2 miles. No explanation. Any other trip shows the actual and correct mileage. Yes, I reviewed the route. It's correct.

Funny thing is that I'm a pilot and I happen to know that this is the as-the-crow-flies mileage, exactly. Hmmm. Does the Nuvi think it's mounted in a Cessna?

---GG
  • Check also to make sure you don't have the settings set to "off-road". It will compute straight-line distances without regard to the roads.
  • Check also to make sure you don't have the settings set to "off-road". It will compute straight-line distances without regard to the roads.

Good idea! Sounds perfectly logical, so I looked into the settings but they were set to "Faster Time."

I guess flying is the ultimate "Faster Time." :)

GG
  • I looked at my unit this morning and noticed that it calculates the total distance from an end-point as the crow flies. Individual segments on roads are shown accurately. Not a big deal to me since I generally am only worried about the next turn.
  • That was a great idea BUT...it did not work. The Nuvi is set for "Car/Motorcycle" versus "Bike" or "Walk". So.....I still have the same predictement. Thanks for what might have been a great idea.

Bob
  • That was a great idea BUT...it did not work. The Nuvi is set for "Car/Motorcycle" versus "Bike" or "Walk". So.....I still have the same predictement. Thanks for what might have been a great idea.

Bob

Bob