This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Anybody tried this Garmin Mobile?

trdcamry08 0 Points
Anybody tried this Garmin Mobile? How is it? Does it support widescreen phones?

Here's the link (Copy and paste it to your Internet browser).

http://www8.garmin.com/mobile/mobilext/

Thanks,

TRD 8)

Comments

• Yes, I'm running it now on my Nokia N82, and it's great!
    Not sure what you mean by widescreen, but it runs flawlessly on both my N82 and my mates N95-8Gb.
    I am not, however, able to get the proximity alert to work which is a bit of a bind, but here in SE Asia, the detail on the maps is incredible with every 2 house village in the countryside and jungle around here marked accurately.
    It can be a real lifesaver out here!
    I would recommend getting it with no probs! (No I don't work for Garmin, it's just a lot better than Nokia maps which came bundled with my phone). :wink:
  • hi there,

I've installed it on my N82 also but it can detect the built in GPS. Are you using an external GPS?
  • Hi!
    What's average FPS for Garmin? Somewhere I read that it's only 1/second. So it must terrible. Is that right? Does it accept initials to search? It is always a killing feature!
  • ~Yeah, the fps is really slow. Its alright though, I mean I usually keep my eyes on the road. To yknow, watch for cars and such.

Still... its main advantage is stability and support. If you want great features there are lots of other fancy GPSs out there that work much better than Garmin... and if you need that, then go for it.
  • jaja 0 Points
    Hi!
    What's average FPS for Garmin? Somewhere I read that it's only 1/second. So it must terrible. Is that right? Does it accept initials to search? It is always a killing feature!
    Yap, I think Garmin has the slowest software out there, but it does compensate with map quality... if it has good maps even in jungles :)) than it must have good maps everywhere :D

I think the average is somewhere about 3 frames per second... not a lot of software go higher. if you are really interested in speed searh on google for "gps fps" and you should get something...

oh, and Garmin can't search for initials... only igo and I think ndrive can do that... :lol:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    If you look at the specs for their handheld GPS'es, the chips only send one position fix per second. I don't think they give that spec for the Nuvi's but I'll bet it's the same.

So if a unit updates more than once per second, it's probably just extrapolating your position based on the last fix.
  • Yes. We are talking about extrapolation. It's impossible to have 10 FPS when all frames show 10 checked by system positions - 10 positions/1s. NDRIVE has 10FPS, Copilot and TomTom - 4FPS - but it's extrapolation (as You said Boyd). But when software can make this extrapolation it is more smooth and nice. It doesn't look like uboat's sonar but like nice 21st century soft :D

The problem is only in soft. Ibelieve that TomTom and Garmin they also can reach 10FPS but they don't care.The problem is only in soft.