The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

upload more than one map on an SD card

I have a Nuvi 250 and I would like to upload multiple map on an SD card using mapsource. I know you can use Mapsource to transfer a map from the PC to a memory card but it look like I'm limited to only one map per card. When I try to upload a second map, it just overwrite the existing one. Is there way to do it so that the gps will be able to read all the map that's on the SD card even if there's 2-3 or more map (img file) in the card?

Comments

• edited June 2008
    You can select up to 2025 individual maps or close to that
    to the SD card but it has to be uploaded at the same time

There is another way you can change the file extension on other maps from gmapsupp.img to gmapsupp2.img and gmapsupp3.img but don't go there unless you know how to do this

I made an error with the file extensions I have amended it :oops:
  • There is another way you can change the file extension on other maps from .img to .img2 and .img3 but don't go there unless you know how to do this
    How could I do it, should I just rename the second map to: gmapsupp.img2 and so on? I'm just trying to split the map in two or three maps because if I upload all of Canada topo map on one big file into a 4gb sd card, my guess is that the Nuvi will not be able to handle such a big file (over 2.5go) and it will way over the 2025 limits anyway.
  • There is a limit to the number of total map segments which can be enabled on each model. For the 660, that limit is 4005. The limit may be different on other models, it is apparently based on the processing power of the units.

If the internal map is North America City Navigator NT, that uses 63 map segments, so a set of maps on in another file can have up to 3942 segments if you want to be able to enable both map files.

There is also a file size limit. On the 660, a map file may be no larger than 2 GB, regardless of the number of map segments it contains.
  • Hi Nico3d3, I made a mistake with the file extensions it was meant to have a number before the .img not after , you need to add this to your PC harddrive and then copy it across, a friend of mine has done this but not sure if he used another program to do it
  • On Nuvi you can have map files with these names on the internal memory:
    gmapprom.img (normaly preinstalled maps)
    gmpaprom1.img (used when both EU and US are on the GPS)
    gmapsupp.img (maps downloaded to the GPS)
    gmapbmap.img (base map)
    gmapoem.img (Oem maps?)

On SD card you can only have gmapsupp.img.
  • You can select up to 2025 individual maps or close to that
    to the SD card but it has to be uploaded at the same time

There is another way you can change the file extension on other maps from gmapsupp.img to gmapsupp2.img and gmapsupp3.img but don't go there unless you know how to do this

I made an error with the file extensions I have amended it :oops:
    "gmapsupp2.img"
    This does not work with my Nuvi 650 on the SD card.
    It already has gmapsupp.img on the card (Europe 2008 NT). I copied over gmapsupp2.img from my hard drive and the Nuvi did not even see the Mexico 2008 NT map at all (gmapsupp2.img). They just will not co-exist from what I found on the SD card. Separately on the SD card is no problem (when the name is gmapsupp.img)

So, on the SD card you can only have a gmapsupp.img for maps and that is all. Unless I've missed a trick somehow.

That's pretty much all I'll need for a while. Mexico can exist on its own SD card, as I don't get down to the "little latitudes" very often.
  • If I remember correctly, the file name should be gmapsupp.img, gmapsup1.img and so on. You may want to give it a try.

Understand gmapprom1.img is also acceptable by, at least the 760.
  • If I remember correctly, the file name should be gmapsupp.img, gmapsup1.img and so on. You may want to give it a try.

Understand gmapprom1.img is also acceptable by, at least the 760.
    Nope.
    I tried changing it around a few times on the SD card, nothings worked.

Looks like mikes is correct: only 1 instance of gmapsupp.img on the SD card is supported.
  • I checked and refreshed my memory, the 3 mapsets that I have now in the set memory of my 760 are stored in gmapprom.img; gmapprom1.img and gmapsupp.img.

In my SD card, there is another mapset stored under gmapsupp.img. SO in total, 4 mapsets are stored in my 760.
  • Thanks for the help.

The North America 2009 NT map is 1.01GB and stored on the 650's internal memory. I have 9MB of internal memory left. I had to remove some stuff from the Audible folder and mp3 folder to have room to update to the 2009 map.

Bottom line: no room for another map internally.

on the 2GB SD card: Europe 2008 NT is 1.35GB. Lots of room to spare. We can't have more than one map set on the SD card for some reason. Yet the Nuvi's take the new SDHC (high capacity SD cards) just fine.

Its a good thing I opted to not buy the 4gb SDHC card. That would be a lot of left over room.

Solution: I'll used MapSource to write the Mexico map to the SD card, then backed it up to the hard drive. Then used MapSource to write Europe onto the SD card, which over writes Mexico. I backed Europe up onto the hard drive. Now I just copy/paste to the SD card which map I'll require. I use an external SD card reader. Its a whole lot faster than the usb on the Nuvi.

Thanks for your help.
  • This applies to the 660, which I have. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that it applies to other Nuvis.

As I said above, the files you can have on the internal flash are:
    gmapprom.img (normally preinstalled maps)
    gmapprom1.img (normally used when both EU and US are on the GPS)
    gmapbmap.img (base map)
    gmapoem.img (Oem maps?)

That does not place a limit on the number of map segments you can have. Using Mapsource, you can combine multiple map segments into single files. You could, for example, use Mapsource to combine both Europe and Mexico into a single file for storage on the external flash.

There are separate limits on the number of map segments allowed to be active, and the size of files. The maximum size of any file is 2 GB. The limit on the number of map segments is 4005. City Navigator North America NT uses 63 map segments.

You're unlikely to bump into the map segment limit unless you use topo maps, where the segments cover a pretty small area. (Segments are the smallest selectable area in a map - usually a state or province in CN NA NT)

• There are separate limits on the number of map segments allowed to be active, and the size of files. The maximum size of any file is 2 GB. The limit on the number of map segments is 4005. City Navigator North America NT uses 63 map segments.
    Thanks!

That is a train of thought I'd not thought of myself, obviously.

It's combining a single Mexico/Europe 2008 NT mapset right now.
  • Thanks mikes.

Your thought on the matter solved my issue.

• Hi, I am new to this and I just got a Nuvi 200 for $100 from BestBuy.
    I would like more than just the USA on my base map.
    Can I use mapsource to create a new base map on the internal memory of the Nuvi and create one img file with all the part of the world I want (< 1 gig of course)?
    Would I call the file gmapprom.img OR gmapbmap.img?

One other question, since only one map (img file) can be loaded from the SD card could I just get a larger SD card and store all my maps (one named gmapsupp.img and the others like EUTopo.crap, etc) and then if I want to swith maps just rename the files on the SD card?
    Does having more than one file on the SD card affect the Nuvi?

Cheers,
    Matthew
  • I am playing with mapsource and the only device I can upload maps is the GPS itself (I have a Nuvi 250W).
    The SD card is only good for multimedia, it won't read anything else from it.
    Spazmogen, how could a map be uploaded to a card, can you please share the trick?
    Thanks.
  • I'll post some visuals or even a Power Point in day or two.

I'm a tad busy @ work with a promotional process I am in.
  • You can download a world routable basemap from Garmin at http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=461 .

It was made for a non-Nuvi, but works fine on my 660. The basemap which comes with a US Nuvi is only for the US (and Canada?).

mpdugg seems to be confused on what a Garmin basemap is. The basemap is what's used when a more specific map isn't available - for instance if you uncheck the City Navigator North America NT which came with your unit, so it's not used. Basemaps have only minimal detail, so they're smaller than full maps. Basemaps are always named "gmapbmap.img".

You can have multiple maps on an SD card, but only the one named "gmapsupp.img" will be used.

When you "send to device" from Mapsource, it should have a pulldown list which allows you to choose either the Nuvi or the SD card in the Nuvi.

But, if you want to send to an SD card, it is very much faster to use an SD card/usb adapter to mount the SD card on your computer. Mapsource will see that, too.
  • Hi Yes I was confusing the "base map" and "pre-installed map" (US only on my 200), thanks for clarifying. I want to replace the "pre-installed" map with one that covers parts of Canada too so this sounds doable using mapsource.
    I am going to try and keep more than one map on the SD card and put the card in my PC and rename the files when I want to get around the one map on SD-Card problem. I will report back if this works.

Here is the $50 off coupon for any Garmin GPA through the end of the year. This is how I got the 200 for $100.
    http://www.divshare.com/download/4672433-8da
    You need to register for a reward zone card. I registered the same day and went in and gave the sales guy my phone number and my account came up.

Cheers,
    Matthew
  • Jeez, I never pulled down the list, thanks!
    ... When you "send to device" from Mapsource, it should have a pulldown list which allows you to choose either the Nuvi or the SD card in the Nuvi.

But, if you want to send to an SD card, it is very much faster to use an SD card/usb adapter to mount the SD card on your computer. Mapsource will see that, too.
  • Perhaps this can help you out.

Sorry for the poor quality, but you'll get the idea:

http://s285.photobucket.com/albums/ll76/Spazmogen/?action=view&current=Mapsource_3maps_on_one_sd_card.flv

Windows Media Player will play it just fine.

Basically, I selected the map from the drop down box, held down the left mouse button and dragged it across and up to the top or bottom. It automatically added all the map sections.
    I did that for all 3 maps.

I took out the "Auto Name The Map Set" check mark and called it "All".

It took a good hour to process the 3 maps into 1 file and write it to the SD card. I used an external USB 2.0 SD card reader and an old 2gb SD card. I have a Core2Duo @ 2.13ghz with 4gb of ram.

Total size on SD card: 1.59GB

This is the end result:
  • Thanks spazmogen, I got the idea now.
    Thanks again.
  • Hi That is sweet and is going to work perfectly.
    Does anyone know if the Nuvi 200 can read a 4-gig or 8-gig SD card?
    I know there is a 2 GIG limit per file but I could store all my maps on it.

Cheers,
    Matthew
  • The Nuvi will only be able to use 1 file from the SD card. So a 4gb card is a waste unless you want to pack it with pictures or mp3's.

So I learned how to merge the 3 maps into 1 file and write it to the SD card. The Nuvi 650 see's all 3 maps on the card just fine even though its just 1 large file.

I didn't invent the process, I was walked through it in another thread.
  • Hi, Yeh I am going to merge as much as I can into a 2-Gig file since that seems to be the max size of the file handled (according to this thread). I still wanted to store at least one other map image on the SD card even though it won't be picked up. That way I can just rename the image file when I go to Europe etc. Just an easy way to keep all my maps together on one SD card. I know some devices can only read certain sizes of SD cards due to memory addressing limitations, so before I buy a 4 or 8 gig card I was wondering if the nuvi would be able to read the entire card.
    I like the 200 but there is a serious lack of doco about it's features.

Cheers,
    Matthew
  • 'MapSelect' is nice program that allows you to use multiple maps on your Garmin device or on your storage card.
    The number of valid maps is determined by your Garmin, so you can't use more maps simultaneously, but it allows you to easily select from a number of maps on your device or storage card.

One problem with Garmin devices is that very few filenames are accepted as valid map names. Normally MapSource creates a map called 'gmapsupp.img'. Also unlocked maps are also mainly offered under the same name.
    A good example: on a Nüvi device with storage card of 4G, only one map will be found: 'gmapsupp.img'! Internally also the mapsnames gmapprim.img and gmapprom1.img are allowed.

I wanted more maps available on my Garmin, but also an easy way to select them. So, I wrote a PC program that makes it easy to select from up to ten maps on a Garmin device and storage card.
    The trick now is to give your maps names that are a bit different such as gmapsupa.img, gmapsupb.img etc. Then the program 'MapSelect' allows you to rename them to maps that Garmin sees as valid.

As a bonus, the program can edit the map name embedded in the file!

The rar file contains the program plus a document with detailed description how to use it....

http://hotfile.com/dl/114904011/62ccd4c/mapselect.rar.html

Good luck to all and comments are highly appreciated!

QS
  • This looks like a nice tool for owners of older models. But all the newest Nuvi's have eliminated the map filename restrictions, starting with the 1200/1300/1400 series and now including the 1695, 2200, 2300, 2400 and 3700 series as well.

If you own any of these newer models, you can name the map file anything you like as long as it has an .img extension. So you can rename gmapsupp.img to TopoMap.img for example. These units no longer store the supplemental maps in the Garmin folder. The map files should be placed in a Map folder at the root of either the internal memory or a memory card.

Garmin's newer handhelds have also removed the map filename restrictions. These models include the Colorado, Oregon, Dakota, GPSMap62, GPSMap78 and (I think) Edge 800 series. But on the handhelds, the map files are still stored in the Garmin folder.
  • Dear Boyd,
    Thanks for the update! Indeed newer models won't need this program.
    I wrote this program initially for my own use on a Nüvi 760 and Garmin XT on a PDA and later published it. Now many people are using it on their "older" Garmins, which are still being sold in Europe by the way!
    Have fun!
  • Hi Mikes

I have a Garmin 1300LM, and it has a lifetime preinstalled US maps, so, if I want to upload to it the Costa Rica map, have I to upload it with the name gmapsupp.img? Could I use the File Explorer (windows) to transfer the map or should I have to use an especific software to transfer the map??

kind regards

Victor
    This applies to the 660, which I have. I suspect, but do not know for sure, that it applies to other Nuvis.

As I said above, the files you can have on the internal flash are:
    gmapprom.img (normally preinstalled maps)
    gmapprom1.img (normally used when both EU and US are on the GPS)
    gmapbmap.img (base map)
    gmapoem.img (Oem maps?)

That does not place a limit on the number of map segments you can have. Using Mapsource, you can combine multiple map segments into single files. You could, for example, use Mapsource to combine both Europe and Mexico into a single file for storage on the external flash.

There are separate limits on the number of map segments allowed to be active, and the size of files. The maximum size of any file is 2 GB. The limit on the number of map segments is 4005. City Navigator North America NT uses 63 map segments.

You're unlikely to bump into the map segment limit unless you use topo maps, where the segments cover a pretty small area. (Segments are the smallest selectable area in a map - usually a state or province in CN NA NT)
  • Personally, I would use Garmin's Mapinstall software, see http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3291

Also the map file name on the newer Nuvi's does not have to be gmapsupp.img, you can name them Costa Rica.img if you want.
  • tnks dude, I'm going to try :wink:
    Personally, I would use Garmin's Mapinstall software, see http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3291

Also the map file name on the newer Nuvi's does not have to be gmapsupp.img, you can name them Costa Rica.img if you want.