This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Out of the way mapping.........

patruns 10 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
Ok, I have a unit with a Navteq map and another with a TeleAtlas map. When I want to route to Long Island from NJ both units send me to North Ave. even though I am south of South Ave and ultimately I have to go south anyway. Fastest route, shortest distance, easiest.... it doesn't make a difference. It's almost as if neither unit knows that South Ave exists. If I follow the units' instructions, I ultimately have to cross South Ave somewhere along the way. Why would they do this?

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    Can you give a starting address and ending address (with street numbers)?
  • patruns 10 Points
    Can you give a starting address and ending address (with street numbers)?
    Sure: Start at 560 Trinity Place in Westfield, NJ 07090

End at 155 Ingraham Blvd in Hempstead, NY 11550

Choose a route that takes you over the Goethals Bridge (278) as depending on how you want to routge, shortest, fastest, etc it may try and send you through Manhattan.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Hmmm... I tried that on both a Garmin and a TomTom and neither created a route through Manhattan.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Well, it's not the route through Manhattan that concerns me. It is when I route through Staten Island. I live south of South Ave. It wants me to drive north across South Avenue under the train trestle and to turn right on North Ave ( 28 ) and drive east. Eventually, it wants me to make a right off of North Ave ( 28 ) drive back under the same train tracks and cross South Ave (which is now called something else) and continue south. I could have simply left my house and made a right turn onto South Ave and drove all the way east. :roll:
  • leon2005 0 Points
    My TT1LE doesn't show x-ing South Ave. For fastest route it shows Trinity Pl > Dorian Rd > Westfield Ave > Park St > Central Ave > Valley Rd Linden > Valley Rd > N Stiles St and so forth to NY. Shortest route is similar up to Central Ave at the beginning.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Whether it is fastest, shortest, least highways, etc, no route should show it crossing south ave to go via north ave. and ultimately over the Goathals Bridge..............