This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Content Manager dies after file download [HP]

JayS 0 Points
Hi All,

I just received my new 310. I installed HP Content Manager (version 1.2.735.0 (2008041502)) from the HP website. My 310 has AppSuite Version 30555, NAV Version March 7 2008, and Driver Version 1.00.02. When I run Content Manager it loads the device profile, then loads the list of updates. It says the application has a 201MB update available, as well as a number of new files (like Ohio POIs). When I try loading the new POI file the download looks like it is ok, but the Content Manager then crashes after indicating the downloaded file is bad. This also happens after I try to download the 201MB application files.

I have another question too. The content manager seems to be very slow. It takes 3-5 seconds for pull down menus to appear, a few minutes to read the device profile, and then a few more minutes to get the update list. I am running this on a fast system (Intel Core2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 3Mbps download speed) with Win XP Pro with SP3. Spyware and virus scanned regularly. Is this application slow for everyone, or is there something wrong with my version?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

Comments

• Uncle Ben 0 Points
    Hi All,

I just received my new 310. I installed HP Content Manager (version 1.2.735.0 (2008041502)) from the HP website. My 310 has AppSuite Version 30555, NAV Version March 7 2008, and Driver Version 1.00.02. When I run Content Manager it loads the device profile, then loads the list of updates. It says the application has a 201MB update available, as well as a number of new files (like Ohio POIs). When I try loading the new POI file the download looks like it is ok, but the Content Manager then crashes after indicating the downloaded file is bad. This also happens after I try to download the 201MB application files.

I have another question too. The content manager seems to be very slow. It takes 3-5 seconds for pull down menus to appear, a few minutes to read the device profile, and then a few more minutes to get the update list. I am running this on a fast system (Intel Core2 Duo, 4GB DDR2 800 RAM, 3Mbps download speed) with Win XP Pro with SP3. Spyware and virus scanned regularly. Is this application slow for everyone, or is there something wrong with my version?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Hi, Jay. You have the latest version of CM, and according to the information you give us here, it looks like you're right up-to-date. Pull down menus on my system are instantaneous. It takes about a minute for CM to get the device profile and update list. So I think there's something wrong with your system or connection. One thing you may want to look at is the USB port you use to connect. Make sure you use a port right off the mother board as opposed to connecting to a USB hub.

In any case, I wouldn't worry too much about it, it looks like your system is up-to-date. One more thing - at the top of the CM screen, you click on the first down arrow and select UPDATABLE, what to do you - and in the bottom right hand quadrant, does it show anything? Moreover, HP has indicated that a new major firmware update was imminent, together with a better way for users to update their device without having to stay connected to the HP web site.

HTH. Good luck.

HappyTrails! Drive Safe!
  • JayS 0 Points
    Hi Uncle Ben,

Thanks for the reply. I tried another USB port and get the same slow behavior. Both of these are high speed USB ports on the motherboard. Strange.

In Contant Manager, after I select "Updatable" it reports:
    Name: HP iPAQ Travel Companion 310 Series
    Type: Application
    Installed: 237 MB
    Available: 201 MB

Other posts indicate the 201MB file is the current one, but the version numbers of what is installed on my 310 look current. I guess I will just wait for the new update to become available.

In the lower right of CM it reports:

Before After Capacity
    Flash 224 kB 224 kB 2,000 MB

Update available for: 1 package(s) 201 MB
    Not installed: 76 package(s) 105 MB

Does the flash free space of 224 kB look correct? I would have expected the free space to be larger. I did have a few downloads fail (none succeeded) so I do not know if there are now some junk files on my 310.

One last question for now... Are my map files current? The US state and Canada map files are version 2007.07 [080215] and the Basemap is version 2007.07 [080117].

Thanks again,
    Jay
  • patruns 10 Points
    I had that message and had to run the 201 MB update another time to make it go away.

I connect to a 2.0 USB port and it does take a while for CM to fully load with the update status. It is getting the profile, reading the drive and then going out over the internet to who knows how may "locations" while it compares what is available to what you have.

I would recommed that you try updating it again to kill it so that next time you connect it said no updates available.

As to space left on the flash drive, that varies according to what you have installed (including any "hacks"). :)
  • JayS 0 Points
    I uninstalled CM, then reinstalled it, and rebooted my system. I connected my 310, started CM, and waited for it to get teh device profile and find the updates. At this point I checked the CM log file (cm.log). Here is what is in the log:

2008-06-05 21:18:41 ==================== Application log started. ====================
    2008-06-05 21:18:41 Cannot save database of cache to this file: C:\Documents and Settings\Jay\Application Data\hp.com\Content Manager\SelfCache\contents.bin.
    2008-06-05 21:18:43 There is no newer Content Manager application.
    2008-06-05 21:18:43 [critical] An HTTP error has occurred while downloading: (No server set to connect to)
    2008-06-05 21:18:43 [critical] The contents.bin is invalid.
    2008-06-05 21:18:48 [critical] Failed to determine remote device.nng! file: \ipaq\nav\license\device.nng
    2008-06-05 21:18:58 Failed to open file: C:\Documents and Settings\Jay\Application Data\hp.com\Content Manager\Profiles\05ee8611b7e1a08027d495fefd000d7d\device.nng
    2008-06-05 21:18:58 qUncompress: Input data is corrupted
    2008-06-05 21:18:58 Cannot save database of cache to this file: C:\Documents and Settings\Jay\Application Data\hp.com\Content Manager\Cache\contents.bin.
    2008-06-05 21:21:40 QThread::setPriority: Cannot set priority, thread is not running
    2008-06-05 21:34:05 qUncompress: Input data is corrupted
    2008-06-05 21:38:51 [critical] Failed to determine remote device.nng! file: \ipaq\nav\license\device.nng
    2008-06-05 21:38:51 [critical] Failed to determine remote device.nng! file: \ipaq\nav\license\device.nng
    2008-06-05 21:38:51 [critical] Couldn't connect to the (primary) non-removable drive: Flash
    2008-06-05 21:38:55 [critical] Failed to determine remote device.nng! file: \ipaq\nav\license\device.nng
    2008-06-05 21:38:55 [critical] Couldn't connect to the (primary) non-removable drive: Flash

Something is seriously wrong here. Any help would be great.
    Thanks,
    Jay
  • patruns 10 Points
    Well, I am not sure why you reinstalled CM but I think something went wrong with the reinstallation. I would uninstall it and reboot. Then, try running a registry cleaning program to make sure it and any other crap is truly uninstalled. There are plenty of free ones out there. Reboot and now reinstall CM.
  • tobic 0 Points
    I was having the same problems with Content Manager. It would fail on download, then ask "do you want to retry" which would send me into an endless loop of "do you want to retry" querstions - regardless of how I answered.

The only fix I found was to uninstall Content Manager, delete the folder:
    C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP iPAQ Travel Companion 310 Series
    and
    C:\Documents and Settings\<your login name>\Application Data\hp.com\

Run a registry clean up. I used CrapCleaner (http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner)

reboot
    then reinstall.

After that, Content Manager seems to be behaving it self. All the updates are working and no more errors.

I also did the updates in small chucks. A about 10 maps at a time. I did all the other updates first than for last did the application update.
  • tobic 0 Points
    oh yea.. I also did a live chat with HP support. they acknowldeged that there are bugs in Content Manager and said a new version would be coming out. The support rep I chatted with didnt know the date and was generally unhelpful with any work arounds for CM crashing out. His solution: Wait for the next update.
  • infama 0 Points
    oh yea.. I also did a live chat with HP support. they acknowldeged that there are bugs in Content Manager and said a new version would be coming out. The support rep I chatted with didnt know the date and was generally unhelpful with any work arounds for CM crashing out. His solution: Wait for the next update.
    Yup, it was forecasted for 2 weeks a week ago, so should be another week for the Upgraded update tool!
  • patruns 10 Points
    If I was the rep I would have given you the same advice. They know there is a problem and a fix is in the works. You just have to wait. :)
  • Musky 0 Points
    I have the same problem Jay described with Content Manager. I've tried reloading the software to no avail.

It's really torture software at its best. The download keeps popping up the "Download Failed" dialog, with a Retry and Cancel button. Hitting Retry always results in it happily proceeding (Why doesn't it automatically retry ?!?)

After 20 retries, I'll get up to maybe 100 mB, and then the whole app crashes!

It's like I need to spend the rest of my life, running this app, trying to get the download to finish. I once got up to about 200 mB before the app crashes.

(I see the last post in this thread is June, 2008, so I assume there are no updates?)

Anyway, enough ranting. Has anyone come up with a workaround?
  • johnb 0 Points
    I have the same problem Jay described with Content Manager. I've tried reloading the software to no avail.

It's really torture software at its best. The download keeps popping up the "Download Failed" dialog, with a Retry and Cancel button. Hitting Retry always results in it happily proceeding (Why doesn't it automatically retry ?!?)

After 20 retries, I'll get up to maybe 100 mB, and then the whole app crashes!

It's like I need to spend the rest of my life, running this app, trying to get the download to finish. I once got up to about 200 mB before the app crashes.

(I see the last post in this thread is June, 2008, so I assume there are no updates?)

Anyway, enough ranting. Has anyone come up with a workaround?
    Content Manager was always a problem with a slow link and poor recovery. What are you trying to download? There haven't been any recent updates for the iPAQ310. The last was June 2008. You can download that directly as a .exe from the HP web site in Tech Support | Drivers and software - much easier to install. You need to make sure you download the correct version for your device (check the SKU ID).

Content Manager hasn't been updated since the spring 2008.

If you are looking to purchase later maps see
    http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1321000 or
    https://www.naviextras.com/shop/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=1869&lastpage=yes#lastpost
  • Musky 0 Points
    I've been there, done that. (Sorry, should have mentioned that) I downloaded the 1.7 Gb exe and tried installing that too. It BSOD's Windows XP service pack 3!!! It gets about 3/4's the way through and reboots my PC.

FWIW I think the crashing might be related to the retries. Searching the Internet for other people's experience with Content Manager, some have actually got it to work. I think perhaps the many "retries" are causing some kind of software error condition which eventually kills the app.
  • johnb 0 Points
    I've been there, done that. (Sorry, should have mentioned that) I downloaded the 1.7 Gb exe and tried installing that too. It BSOD's Windows XP service pack 3!!! It gets about 3/4's the way through and reboots my PC.

FWIW I think the crashing might be related to the retries. Searching the Internet for other people's experience with Content Manager, some have actually got it to work. I think perhaps the many "retries" are causing some kind of software error condition which eventually kills the app.
    If it is the HP software perhaps the download is getting corrupted - do you have problems with other downloads? Otherwisw it sounds like you may have a problem with XP SP3 rather than the HP software.

I've just run my spxxxxx.exe under XP SP3 without my iPAQ 314 attached; it wrote the directory without any problems. You can then run the program from there or just copy the DATA directory over to your iPAQ (having made a backup first!!)
  • Musky 0 Points
    I have no problems with other downloads. I am on a 5 MBPS DSL connection, so that should be plenty of bandwidth.

This link talks about an update to fix the problems. This was April of last year, and he was talking about an update in a couple weeks, hehe. I'm getting the impression this is a dead dog

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1237824204247+28353475&threadId=1224768
  • johnb 0 Points
    Well you can try downloading the latest version from http://www.ipaq.com/navigate/maps.do - but you will find it is still the same version. (that site is back working again even though HP issued a note saying it had been discontinued). There never was an update - that was just HP Support saying what would please the customer.

The original problem with the Content Manager was at the server end and it was very slow. In the end HP released the spxxxx.exe updates.

It's not a dog - but it is dead as far as HP are concerned http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/news.asp?ID=524

However naviextras are breathing some life into it - see other recent threads.