The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Navcore 8.x released for older TT models

dhn 191 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Apparently, being rolled out today. See link below from a Brit forum for further info and discussion.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=67721

Comments

• BigwigXXX 0 Points
    I saw no problems with Navcore 8 (unoffical version) while I had it on my 920T running 7.20 maps
  • Tim 1271 Points
    Seems like it is getting rolled out in waves by geographic location, as they have done with other releases. I've seen other reports from ONE v3 users in Europe as well, but so far not much on the North American side of the pond.
  • BigwigXXX 0 Points
    Well Canada must be today.... I just connected my 920 to HOME and I'm being offered 8.010
  • Tim 1271 Points
    I wasn't getting them about 30 minutes ago, but I am now.
  • Tim 1271 Points
    So now the question becomes... if you upgrade a 720 or 920 to version 8.010 and get the v8 map-- do you then get lane guidance, IQ routes, etc? Of course the v8 map isn't showing as an option, even after the upgrade to app version 8 at this point.
  • rtn5000 0 Points
    No go on tomtom one LE...yet.
  • dhn 191 Points
    So now the question becomes... if you upgrade a 720 or 920 to version 8.010 and get the v8 map-- do you then get lane guidance, IQ routes, etc? Of course the v8 map isn't showing as an option, even after the upgrade to app version 8 at this point.
    My understanding is that if a user does buy the version 8 map and has Navcore 8 firmware installed, he/she will have both IQ routing and ALG.

Ironically, the screwup of the compass functionality in N8 may cause me to hold off moving up from N7. I really like knowing the direction I'm driving 8)
  • Tim 1271 Points
    My understanding is that if a user does buy the version 8 map and has Navcore 8 firmware installed, he/she will have both IQ routing and ALG.
    I'd assume so too-- there just doesn't seem to be a way right now for a 720/920 owner to purchase the v8 map. ;)
  • dhn 191 Points
    From what I'm reading here and elsewhere, it seems many users are having a hard enough time getting their 7.20 map via the LMG when they are entitled to it. :oops:

Seriously, I know you have contacts at TT, Tim. Have you ever asked why their Home software is so bloody flakey?
  • Tim 1271 Points
    Seriously, I know you have contacts at TT, Tim. Have you ever asked why their Home software is so bloody flakey?
    ::sigh:: Yeah, I've asked. They appear to be aware there is sometimes an issue, yada, yada, yada.
  • BigwigXXX 0 Points
    8.010 is a great improvement from my initial look at it.

traffic nows shows delay time never did before

push the power on button and it starts immediately

in map corrections you can change the speed of the road section

Not seen any downside as of yet.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    BigWig, you have a 930, correct?

RTN5000, the navcore 8 features will not be offered to any of the One series from what I understand.

I see some issues related to traffic and voices being fouled on some devices. As dhn mentioned, if you like your compass, don't apply the update.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    List of changes:

Version 8.010
    (TomTom GO 530/730/930, GO 520/720/920, ONE 30-Series, XL 30-Series, ONE XL, ONE XL HD Traffic, ONE 3rd edition only)

Map Share support for Australia and New Zealand
    USA Fuel Prices
    TomTom HD Traffic Receiver support for devices listed above
    Services available via HD Traffic Receiver:
    HD Traffic (requires subscription)
    Buddies
    Weather
    Weekly Safety Camera Updates (requires subscription)
    QuickGPSFix
    Minor improvements

Just a quick note. The update is around 45megs. Using Verizon FIOS it took less than a minute to download. If you can get FIOS, it's worth it.
  • rtn5000 0 Points
    List of changes:

Version 8.010
    (TomTom GO 530/730/930, GO 520/720/920, ONE 30-Series, XL 30-Series, ONE XL, ONE XL HD Traffic, ONE 3rd edition only)

Hmm looks like it is for the ONE 3rd only...I'm sure someone will crack it on ipmart forum soon enough.
  • max1 0 Points
    Ok guys, Im looking at a new 920,

reading this post looks like version 8 maps upgrade is available for the 920

do you have to purchase the v 8 map?
    If so how much, or does this come as a free map upgrade since I would be buying a new unit?

does the v8 give you the lane guidance also on the 920?

and does it also do the IQ routing on the 920?

Thanks much
    max
  • orphius 0 Points
    If x20 owners can buy v8 maps, will there be any difference between x20 and x30?

As far I remember only difference is IQ rout and ALG and those suppose to be activated by V8 maps. Am I right?
  • dhn 191 Points
    Version 8 maps are NOT available for x20 models, only FIRMWARE Navicore 8 is. IF a x20 user installs the N8 formware AND buys the version 8 map WHEN it is available to x20 users, THEN, the IQ routing and ALG should be evident.

NEW UPDATE (Thanks to Darren at pocketgpsworld.com):

x20 Owners- Please Note:
    6 Jun 08: The upgrade package for x20 devices contained the Advanced lane Guidance option in Change preferences. This created the impression that the feature was available when it is not and consequently the x20 version has been withdrawn. An upgrade to Navcore 8 will be made available to x20 users at a later date
  • For those who did get the update for their 20s as I did for my 920 I noticed one significant issue. The update went well and the unit does function properly with the faster startup as noted earlier and the "show lane guidance" preference which doesn't work as yet. However if you are used to disconnecting your unit by using Home and clicking on the menu bar for "Disconnect Device" as I am, the device does not disconnect even though you'll get the message on the Home screen that it's safe to remove the device. I'm finding that it's necessary to click "Disconnect Device" a second time and then it does reboot the device so that you can remove it.

I'm not having this issue with the update to my 930.
    John
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    It looks as tho VR might have disabled again on the 720's as well. No matter really as you just roll back to previous. As far as I can tell, nav8 added no features to the x20's other than ability to change speed limits, tho that's not working as it should. Some users do find it's no longer necessary to hold the power button for several seconds to boot up. x30 owners should find that the splash screen is now clearing in about 10 seconds, rather than the 30 it has been taking. Not sure from today's drive, but it appears the 930 is taking a little longer to recognize that you've deviated from the route and recalculating.
  • dhn 191 Points
    A rather loqacious poster in a Brit forum is very upset about the slowness of rerouting in his 930 after the firmware upgrade, so much so that's he's using a stop watch to report his findings.

He's saying it's taking >4 seconds to recognize the need to reroute and about 5 more to plan the route. The total 10-sec delay or so even results in the next exit being missed, so he says.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    It's not that bad. We're talking a couple of seconds or so at the most, and I haven't even verified it, it just "seems to be" with a couple of reroutes today. Tomorrow may be different. I probably wouldn't even have noticed if the 760 wasn't riding along side. I think I've tuned my ears now to hear differences in the two and today it was just a bit unusual.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    AAHH! I see who you're talking about. (Odd how they break up the subjects over there) He seems to go on and on about everthing he posts.
    I don't pay him any attention at all.
  • BigwigXXX 0 Points
    BigWig, you have a 930, correct?
    No, 920T running 8.010 and 7.20 Maps
  • blueking 0 Points
    I replaced the "system" file on my TT1 LE version with such file from navcore 8.010 of another TomTom device. My boot loader version is upgraded to 5.5 and I can use SDHC card plus it fixed some issues that I had with boot loader 5.3.

First, use a regular SD card and put the new "system" (the only file to replace) and insert the SD back to GPS. The boot loader version will be upgraded. Now, you can use a SDHC card! This is great news if you want to use a larger map that can't be held by a 2GB SD card. It can also hold a lot of voice files (if you have the TTS hack, you will need more space).
  • AAHH! I see who you're talking about. (Odd how they break up the subjects over there) He seems to go on and on about everthing he posts.
    I don't pay him any attention at all.
    Tell me your not talking about our buddy Shad. I actually find him quite entertaining :lol:
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    The most long winded poster I've seen
  • I have to agree.

DHN, calling him fairly "loqacious" (I had to cut and paste that cause I couldn't spell it) is like saying Mount Everest is fairly tall. Nonetheless, he does try to give good information albeit in a long winded way. Anyway, it's fun to read his posts and the reactions he gets :lol:

Back to the subject. I still haven't upgraded from version 7.221. Every time a new firmware upgrade comes along, there is something wrong with it. Thank goodness I have all the early adopters to test it out for me.

I was about to update to this one but I think now I'll wait some more. I've got everything working and I don't want to take a chance on screwing everything up before I leave for Europe.

Doesn't seem like I'm missing much anyway.
  • Tim 1271 Points
    I feel like I'm missing out since there is no Shad here. :)
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    It's like having someone post my 930 review. . . everyday.
  • tomj03 0 Points
    In my 60CSx I replaced my 2G micro SD with a 4G Sandisk class 4 SDHC, thing seems quite a bit more fluid., especially when zooming the map.
  • garcor 0 Points
    Im with you I will stick with to my older verson on my 920 untill thay get V8 perfected :!:
  • paspolc 0 Points
    Hope i am in the right forum; i have a question for the experts:

I have a Tom Tom One V4 (probably):

1. I upgraded to map series 8, with Navcore 8.002, and Italy's map works okay;

2. I bought an sd card of 4gb (sdhc) and the tom tom does not see it;
    A friend of mine told me to upgrade the bootloader to 5.50 from 5.30 (which is the one actually on my Tom Tom). my question is: how do i upgrade the bootloader from 5.30 to 5.50? and which navcore shoud i put on it ? the 8.002 or the 8.010?

Thank you all

Alex
  • istman 0 Points
    It looks as tho VR might have disabled again on the 720's as well. No matter really as you just roll back to previous. As far as I can tell, nav8 added no features to the x20's other than ability to change speed limits, tho that's not working as it should. Some users do find it's no longer necessary to hold the power button for several seconds to boot up. x30 owners should find that the splash screen is now clearing in about 10 seconds, rather than the 30 it has been taking. Not sure from today's drive, but it appears the 930 is taking a little longer to recognize that you've deviated from the route and recalculating.
    I updated myh 720 today to 8.010 and still have VR. I did not have to recreate or copy any files. The quick power-on is the biggest plus so far.
  • dhn 191 Points
    istman.....

Did you have the support_asr.dat file in your map folder previously?
  • infama 0 Points
    I updated myh 720 today to 8.010 and still have VR. I did not have to recreate or copy any files. The quick power-on is the biggest plus so far.
    Do you have the V7 or V8 cspeehxxx.dat files?
  • dhn 191 Points
    How do you tell the difference, infama? I mean, if people stay with their version 7 maps, can't you assume they've kept the v7 dat files?
  • istman 0 Points
    istman.....

Did you have the support_asr.dat file in your map folder previously?
    Yes, I did.
  • istman 0 Points

Do you have the V7 or V8 cspeehxxx.dat files?
    There is no version information given on the files. They are all dated 11/28/2007.
  • infama 0 Points
    edited June 2008
    How do you tell the difference, infama? I mean, if people stay with their version 7 maps, can't you assume they've kept the v7 dat files?
    Recall that they were different downloads from the TT site when they were still making it available.

Not sure how to tell them apart individually though.

I guess the v7cspeech files will work in navcore8 as long as you keep using v7 maps. I think v8 maps require the newer voice recog. files....

I can attest to the fact that Europe v8 cspeech files are 19 in the folder and comprise 216mb.

NA v7 cspeech folder has 53 files with 470mb.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    You beat me to it Infama. There is a significant difference in the size of the files.
  • dhn 191 Points
    You beat me to it Infama. There is a significant difference in the size of the files.
    Yeah, but if NA v7 cspeech folder has 53 files with 470mb as infama says, what is the size of the NA v8 cspeech files? I would assume the same 53 files in quantity but how many mb in total?