This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

POI finder trick

Nav 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Since the 1.2 update did not add nearly as many major retail POIs as we'd all like I thought I'd share a trick of sorts.

This works on verizon & alltel phones for sure, the rest I don't know. You don't need to have a web browser plan either.

1. start a new text message
2. in the TO: line type in 466453 (google). if you have a qwerty keyboard phone still use the numbers, do not spell out google
3. In the body of the text type in say Walmart
4. send

You usually get a reply in less than a minute. It includes the address & phone number of nearest stores. Just input the addy into your gps.

Not really the best way, but a unique little helper

btw, if you type in weather it will give you the temp & forecast. Also typing in a zip can provide directions.

Comments

• patruns 10 Points
    How does it tell you the nearest store if you don't tell it where you are? Area code? If that's the case it would be sending me to Long Island where I bought my first cell phone 8 years ago and I live in NJ. :wink:
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Unless you specify otherwise, such as sending "walmart near 90210" it will typically assume a big city in your area code.
  • Ken-55 0 Points
    Nav,

Thanks!! I had no idea that service was available. When I tried it, it gave me Walmarts in my state (CT). After reading the other posts, I put in "Walmart near Palm Coast, FL" since I was familiar with that area also and it gave me just what I was looking for!
  • patruns 10 Points
    Unless you specify otherwise, such as sending "walmart near 90210" it will typically assume a big city in your area code.
    Thanks Tim, that is kinda neat! :)
  • lemodular 0 Points
    been using this for a while now, you can save some text by skipping the word "near" for example, "Walmart, 90210." Type the city if you don't know the zip.

Not sure if you are aware, but there's also Google 411 (1-800-466-4411) you can call to look for address or phone numbers. It's cool because it's completely hands free, it will even dial your selection for you.
  • capntang 0 Points
    Just thought I'd add that you can also save a default location for queries.

There's a bunch of stuff you can do with it. Check the Google Mobile page for more details.