Not Enough Free Space on Nuvi 200W
  • jla956
    Downloaded my free 2009 map update today and after trying to install it got a message that said,

Not enough free space on your Garmin GPS device. Need another 41 mb of free space on your Garmin GPS device.

No explanation about how to free up this space so any help would be much appreciated.
  • Tim
    Did you install any extra voices, custom POIs, or custom car icons?
  • jla956
    nope - it's brand new but still had the 2008 map series on it so I'm upgrading to the 2009 map.
  • JackS
    I ran into the same problem yesterday when I downloaded the new '09 map. It's a 2GB+ file and the message says that I only have 1.5GB+ storage left. I thought that it would download right to the unit. I had it plugged in and have the Garmin Communicator Plugin installed.

I assumed that this software would automatically remove the '08 maps data before the install to free up space. I e-mailed tech support yesterday and am waiting for a reply. I'll let you know what they say.
  • jla956
    I just received this email from Garmin - hope it works:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. These Nuvi units come preloaded with many different languages that do take up quite a bit of space, to be able to properly load the update, we are going to need to delete some unused files from the unit which you can do by following the instructions below.

1. Plug your unit into the computer via a standard mini usb to usb
    cable
    2. Open your my computer
    3. Open the Garmin Drive
    4. Open the Garmin folder
    5. Open one of the following folders: Text / Help / Voice / JPEG /
    Vehicles
    6. Delete any unused languages ( be sure to keep your preferred
    language) or pictures /vehicles if you have any loaded
    7. Return to the Garmin folder
    8. Repeat steps 5-7 in the other folders listed
    9. Empty your trash/recycle bin on your computer

This will give your unit enough space to properly load the map update
    for your unit. From here, run the rmu_cnnant2009.exe file that you have
    downloaded.

Please note: The mapping update must be loaded to the units internal
    memory, so adding memory through an SD card will not open up any space for the update to be loaded.
  • JackS
    Thanks. I wonder why the download doesn't remove the '08 maps first automatically and thus make more room? I think that removing unwanted languages should always be done if it's possible in order to speed up the unit.

Update. I did that and even deleted a couple of audio books that were on it from Audible file, and I still need 1.2 GB of space.
  • Tim
    JackS said:

I wonder why the download doesn't remove the '08 maps first automatically and thus make more room?

That is what it is supposed to do.
  • JackS
    Tim said:

JackS said:

I wonder why the download doesn't remove the '08 maps first automatically and thus make more room?

That is what it is supposed to do.

That's what I thought.....then why don't I have enough memory on the 750? The map file can't be that much bigger. I don't get it.
  • estoll
    I have followed the answers from Garmin and still don't have enough space... I don't get it... :?
  • raaurora
    some posters have reported getting this message when in fact the problem was they did not have enough space on their computer's C drive.

Not sure if that is what you are running in to or not.
  • rapriebe
    Also, not all of the 2xx series will accept the entire North America NT 2009 map. The 200 and 200W will only take either the US or Canada, but not both. I don't know if the update ordered for those units contains the entire map set or not, but if you are trying to load the whole thing it won't work. I don't know if the installer is smart enough to know that or not, since my 260 does hold both maps.
  • Tim
    When I upgraded a 200 it didn't even ask which map I wanted to install--- it just took care of it all and installed the USA 48 contiguous just like what was on there to begin with.
  • Falcon9
    The 200/200W will not have Canada/Alaska. So don't get your hopes up on having the full North America map that you didn't have to begin with.

I updated mine successfully by deleting every voice/text but English from the folders before the update process after reading this advise on GPS Passion.

It takes like 2 hours to upload. Not including the extraction/download time if you chose to download instead of order the DVD.

Backup everything in your unit before you do anything and save it aside. If your update goes wrong, it'll save your butt.
  • estoll
    Well I have tried all of the suggestions here - I downloaded off of he Garmin web site with my unit plugged in so it knew which unit I have. I have 34GB available in my MAC hard drive so I don't know Maybe I will try my PC and see if that works... :?
  • Falcon9
    estoll said:

Well I have tried all of the suggestions here - I downloaded off of he Garmin web site with my unit plugged in so it knew which unit I have. I have 34GB available in my MAC hard drive so I don't know Maybe I will try my PC and see if that works... :?

Did you go through the files in your GPS unit like I said and delete the language and voice files in other languages?
  • estoll
    "Well I have tried all of the suggestions here" Yes I have done all of that still to no avail... :? I am going to try to talk directly with Garmin tomorrow!
  • estoll
    I guess the key is to empty the trash bin...... maybe I should read all of the instructions... Working right now👓
  • hammer1
    I have the Garmin 200W and i only have a total of 991 mb of memory.
    How much space do you have total?
    I have to delete files to do the update.
  • You have to delete the old maps before installing the new ones. Garmin Updater will not do it for you. For a list of what files to delete, go here:
    http://mye-life.blogspot.com/2013/08/how-to-fix-problem-of-not-enough-space.html
  • kenp
    These days the updater actually will delete files for you. At least it did that once for my 255W. It will also tell you to put in a SD or microSD card for the new maps. It did that for me a couple of updates later.

I don't remember whether it was map updater, Garmin Express or Lifetime Updater that did the delete or told me to get a card...my updates tend to wind up as a random whirl of whichever update program is in the mood.

Ken
↑ Top

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!