The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Poll: TomTom screens really that bad?

bobroot 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
Can I get some feedback on how bad the TomTom screens are? Seems everyone who writes about TomTom after trying Garmin has to mention how much better the screen is on a Garmin.

I'm ready to buy a TomTom for the features but dismayed at how many people think the TomTom screens are junk.

Thanks!

Comments

• Tim 1271 Points
    You can see some sample images and commentary over here.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    The TT screens certainly aren't junk. They just aren't quite as bright or, for me, as easy to find the route or data, as the Garmin's, especially the 7x0's and apparently the new 2x5's. Regular TomTom users don't complain much about the screens other than the occasional complaint that they are sometimes hard to see in bright light. As far as colors and layout, it's more a personal preference, and many people prefer the overall look of the TomTom display.
  • bobroot 0 Points
    Last night I found a store which had the units turned on so I could compare them and indeed the TT screens are not junk. Just more reflective and not enough contrast. It would seem it has more of that "glossy" LCD screen look which has become so popular in recent years for comptuer LCD screens. They look great but if you are in a bright environment they can be hard to read. I flipped the screens back and forth and purposely tried to wash out the screen by refecting the overhead light in the store and it was a bit hard to see any differnece really. A better test would be to carry it outside on a sunny day, but I can't seem to find a store which will allow that so I guess I'll just have to find one with a good return policy.

Thank you,
    -Bob
  • Hawkman 0 Points
    I'm in sunny Los Angeles and shuffle my TT 930 between my LS400 and SC400. I guess it all depends on placement, but I have not had an issue with the screen.

There is an accessory I saw that resembles a visor for the TT. :D

• Mark29 0 Points
    I have a TT 920, my wife a Garmin 260. I can honestly say I don't see a great difference between the two.

Mark
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    The bigger difference will be between the 700's, 800's, 2x5's compared to Tomtom. As I said, they're not that bad, but certainly not as bright, nor as easy to see as some of the Garmins if windshield mounted during the day. If you never used one of the Garmin's I mentioned, you might never really complain about the TomTom screen brightness.
  • Rayr 0 Points
    I'm in sunny Los Angeles and shuffle my TT 930 between my LS400 and SC400. I guess it all depends on placement, but I have not had an issue with the screen.

There is an accessory I saw that resembles a visor for the TT. D

Hi,
    Could you please tell me hew makes the visor for the TomTom?

Thank you,
    Ray
  • Rayr 0 Points
    Hi,

Thank you,
    Ray

There is an accessory I saw that resembles a visor for the TT. D

• Hi,

Thank you,
    Ray

Try this site.
    http//www.arkon.com/tomtom_gps_alternative_mount.php
    It's at the bottom of their page.

Kenny