This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

[Traffic Service Now Working] Anyone in the US using TMC? [H

techbri 0 Points
The antenna was pretty hard to find. I located one here http://www.expansys-usa.com/p.aspx?i=157840. I spoke with someone at HP support and they confirmed that it is a US part number and not an EMEA one. Also, Expansys confirmed that they purchase them from a US channel. HP support said they didn't have any of the details but I managed to dig up an HP user manual online where it says that you can activate the TMC from the unit if you live in a country where it's subscription based. I expect it to be $60 a year or so and will try it out when I receive my unit and antenna which are on order. I was just curious if anyone in the US has tried it.

Comments

• patruns 10 Points
    I was not aware that there was a subscription available in the US............
  • techbri 0 Points
    I was not aware that there was a subscription available in the US............
    We'll see. TMC is provided by clear channel in the US. I will try it when the gear arrives and advise.
  • techbri 0 Points
    OK everyone! I have traffic service! Here's how I did it. I ordered the TMC traffic charger at:

http://www.expansys-usa.com/p.aspx?i=157840 (looks like it's backordered now)

When I connected the ipaq to the charger, it lit up the traffic option under the NAV extras section on the device. I went into it and saw the tuner scanning for traffic but it wouldn't lock on to a signal as TMC is subscription based here in the US. There was a clear channel button on the screen next to the scanner so I tapped that and it told me to go to www.hp.com to register for the service and provided a hardware ID. Of course I couldn't find an activation site and HP support knew nothing. I even tried escalating the call but got nowhere. I did a google search for tmc activation and ended up at the following link:

https://cart.buytmc.com/subscribe/

I filled out my information and entered the hardware ID from the ipaq and signed up for the lifetime service for $129 (they also have a $60/yr option) and entered the activation key provided on the ipaq. IT worked! It locks on to traffic stations now and provides updates!

Enjoy :)
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Great post techbri. I hadn't seen anyone yet note the availability of TMC traffic for the HP. In fact, several posts that HP didn't have it and wasn't available. You going to make a lot of HP310 owners very happy. :D
  • techbri 0 Points
    this probably deserves a sticky so people can find it easily :)
  • Tim 1470 Points
    Stickified.
  • infama 0 Points
    OK everyone! I have traffic service! Here's how I did it. I ordered the TMC traffic charger at:

http://www.expansys-usa.com/p.aspx?i=157840 (looks like it's backordered now)

When I connected the ipaq to the charger, it lit up the traffic option under the NAV extras section on the device. I went into it and saw the tuner scanning for traffic but it wouldn't lock on to a signal as TMC is subscription based here in the US. There was a clear channel button on the screen next to the scanner so I tapped that and it told me to go to www.hp.com to register for the service and provided a hardware ID. Of course I couldn't find an activation site and HP support knew nothing. I even tried escalating the call but got nowhere. I did a google search for tmc activation and ended up at the following link:

https://cart.buytmc.com/subscribe/

I filled out my information and entered the hardware ID from the ipaq and signed up for the lifetime service for $129 (they also have a $60/yr option) and entered the activation key provided on the ipaq. IT worked! It locks on to traffic stations now and provides updates!

Enjoy :)
    Sweet.
  • dhn 330 Points
    Geez infama......how come we never see you 'slumming' in the TomTom fora anymore? :cry:
  • infama 0 Points
    Geez infama......how come we never see you 'slumming' in the TomTom fora anymore? :cry:
    HP is more fun, as it has more mysteries to unlock. However, I do read lots over at TT!
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Well just imagine all the "fun" you can have with the Garmin's as people get more familiar with their shift to Linux. Should be even more challenging than iGo "lite". :lol:
  • infama 0 Points
    edited July 2008
    Well just imagine all the "fun" you can have with the Garmin's as people get more familiar with their shift to Linux. Should be even more challenging than iGo "lite". :lol:
    Could be.

However, with all the mods, HP nav aint lite anymore. Also, HP taught at least 1 trick to igo8...ie full screen mode. That is a retro fitted skin in igo8, reverse engineered from the HP lite version!
  • And what about the UK? I have been trying to get our, supposedly, free service working for days now. We also get the scanning for channels, the message about subscription, the visit www.hp.com to obtain a subscription where nothing is shown, the run around by HP Live and phone support who do not have a clue about where to get any information - mine has just gone back accusing HP of false advertising.
    I don't want to buy a subscription when ours is advertised as having a free basic travel service. Wish I has stayed with my TomTom 720 where it was free and it worked - eventually!
    PS the link for subscription works for the US - nothing for the UK!
  • infama 0 Points
    And what about the UK? I have been trying to get our, supposedly, free service working for days now. We also get the scanning for channels, the message about subscription, the visit www.hp.com to obtain a subscription where nothing is shown, the run around by HP Live and phone support who do not have a clue about where to get any information - mine has just gone back accusing HP of false advertising.
    I don't want to buy a subscription when ours is advertised as having a free basic travel service. Wish I has stayed with my TomTom 720 where it was free and it worked - eventually!
    PS the link for subscription works for the US - nothing for the UK!
    Doug, I think its the UK service. Perhaps the aTMC antenna just is not strong enough. That is why TT had to come out with a super-powerful version for the UK and still it was only just adequate.

Free TMC works well here in Switz for the ipaq, BTW.
  • Thanks for that. It has gone back now and I have been refunded. There is so little information on it. I mean, if HP themselves don't know, what chance have we mere mortals?
    Doug
  • techbri 0 Points
    Patruns asked me to give an update on the traffic service. So far, so good. I used a HK GPS-810 previously and the traffic service is different compared to the HK. When I set my route, it calculates the eta taking the traffic into account. In fact, it usually says it's going to take longer than it does. If there is traffic up ahead on the route, it will flash the freeway number and show how many miles ahead the traffic is in a banner side of the screen. I do have it set to automatically recalculate to avoid traffic, however has basically stayed on it's route the last few days. In my case, this is probably due the fact that the traffic isn't usually constant as I drive reverse commute. By contrast, the HK unit would go to extremes to avoid all traffic it found on the route and would usually resort to city streets through downtown. This didn't always work out well as it didn't take the city street traffic into account. I prefer to stick with the freeway and divert around if necessary. I also like the fact that the unit will show the traffic icons on the map even if you don't put in a destination. If there is traffic up in front of you, it will usually be represented by an icon. I am pretty happy with the iPaq 310 and glad HK took the 810 back.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Good to know. I gotta get me one of these. ;)
  • patruns 10 Points
    Anyone else try this yet in the states, specifically the northeast?
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Some potential good news for HP owners and traffic services:

" Hungarian navigation software editor Nav N Go and Clear Channel Radio announced that real-time traffic data from CCR’s Total Traffic Network (CCTTN) will be integrated into Nav N Go’s software moving forward, to speed up development time for PND makers looking at adding real-time this feature.

“A large portion of the PND makers we work with use Clear Channel Radio’s Total Traffic Network so creating this bundle makes perfect sense,” said Attila Kátai, Chief Content Officer of Nav N Go.

Navigation devices featuring Nav N Go software will offer CCTTN’s real-time traffic data as a free trial for the first 90 days. Clear Channel’s Total Traffic Network now serves more than 125 metropolitan markets, mostly in the United States, but also in Canada, Mexico and New Zealand. In the United States CCTTN serves 95 metropolitan markets with RDS TMC (FM radio sub carrier), the most common distribution method for traffic today. "
  • patruns 10 Points
    Yeah, now if HP would just start to show that they still believe in the iPAQ 300 series and roll out updates and offer additional maps I might believe I actually made a good choice in buying one................ :?
  • techbri, I'm trying to get TMC to work on my Ipaq 310.

I see you have got it to work!

I have bought a license from clear channel, and the navigation program recognizes it, but I still get (no-key) message when I tune to the proper station.

I am using the March 2008 version of the program from the June 2008 update.

I was wondering if you were also using this version, or the original?

I wish there was some way I could email or PM you because you'll probably never see this message!

amyway, thank you!
  • Boyd 1960 Points
    I wish there was some way I could email or PM you because you'll probably never see this message!
    Probably true, becuase he hasn't been around here for 3 years and you are responding to something he posted way back then... :(
  • patruns 10 Points
    techbri, I'm trying to get TMC to work on my Ipaq 310.

I have bought a license from clear channel, and the navigation program recognizes it, but I still get (no-key) message when I tune to the proper station.

amyway, thank you!
    I am not sure what you mean by "tune to the proper station". I do not believe that is how this works on the 310. You should receive a code to activate the service.
  • techbri, I'm trying to get TMC to work on my Ipaq 310.

amyway, thank you!

I am not sure what you mean by "tune to the proper station". I do not believe that is how this works on the 310. You should receive a code to activate the service.
    When you go into TMC settings after you plug the adapter in, you can see the station it is tuned to. I checked on which frequencies CC broadcasts in my area and I am on the correct frequency...
  • well just tried reverting to my older backup of the software that shipped with my Ipaq. I replaced the entire NAV and OS folders with the shipped versions, (Oct 27 2007) app version 16079.

No luck. Still have the TMC-CA (no key) message.

I'm thinking there could be a few possible explanations:

1) Hardware problem. Either my TMC adapter, or the Ipaq unit.
    2) Driver version. My driver version says 1.00.02 while I see there was a previous version (1.00.00) seen here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/reviews/iPAQ310/version.jpg

3) My software version: it could be that Oct 27 and March 2008 versions had the necessary TMC modules taken out since HP never launched TMC in North America.

Does anyone have a copy of the Oct 11 2007 (app Suite version 14710) as pictured above? Can you please share it with me? I don't need the maps and all the big content, just the NAV folder minus the content subfolder.

4) My location. Techbri was in USA and I am testing from Canada, perhaps this is having some effect.

Edit:

Seems like there is another version!

Nov 19 2007
    App version: 17720?
    See here:
  • I wonder if the official HP US part has some sort of customization done on the adapter. The HP adapter is manufactured by GNS.

I have a retail GNS adapter shipped from Germany, and it works so far as I can open the COM port, and I can tune stations. Just the decryption of the encrypted ClearChannel TMC messages are not working despite my valid subscription.

Could it be possible that the HP US part has something special to allow this decryption to happen?