This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Magellan RoadMate 760 vs Garmin NUVI

islandjim 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
I had a Roadmate 760 for about 15 months before it was stolen. I used it on many road trips and two European adventures. In researching a replacement, I am intrigued by the size and battery power of the Nuvi; however, I am puzzled by the 2Gig drive. My Roadmate had 20 Gigs with both North America & Europe preloaded. Is Garmin able to do the same with just 2Gigs, or do you have to use exterior drives??
Pricing on the 760 is very attractive, and I am already familiar with its use. Any reason I should spend more for the latest gadget.

Comments

• Tim 1479 Points
    With the Nuvi you would need to load some of the additional maps on an SD card. Depending on which product for European products you purchased, you could get all of the European maps on one SD card or you can purchase the DVD and put just the European maps you want into the remaining space in your Nuvi or on your own SD card.

Which Nuvi are you comparing the RM 760 to?
  • I am not sure yet. If I understand the reviews, there is not much difference beyond the bluetooth capability and traffic routing. Neither function seems important to me. As a city dweller, I won't be using the gps in commuting situations. What about POI data base. My Roadmate had millions and was very useful on road trips. It also had a useful "detour" function which helped provide alternative routes in heavily traveled areas.
  • Tim,
    One additional observation. I contacted Magellan a few days ago to see if they would allow me to use the European Unlock code that I purchased for the stolen unit. I faxed them the insurance claim and police report, and am waiting for a reply. I will let you know if they agree to let me use the purchased upgrades on a new unit. If they do, I'll definately buy another 760 or 860. If not, I'm looking at the Nuvi 660.
    Island Jim
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Good to hear Magellan is considering allowing you to transfer the maps.
  • Tim,
    Magellan has agreed to let me use the previously purchased European Unlock code. I call that good customer relations.
    Jim