Costco's GPS return policy?

yahooman 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
Has anyone bought and returned GPS to Costco before? Any idea what their return policy is because the website doesn't say much. Thanks!

http://www.costco.com/Service/FeaturePageLeftNav.aspx?ProductNo=11204333

Comments

• marc6331 0 Points
    yes i returned my garmin 760 with no problems you have 90 days and they pay you in cash even though you used a credit card
  • Marc 191 Points
    Actually except for televisions and computers their is no time limit on returns, including GPS units. It used to be true even for TVs and computers until people abused the hell out of the policy.
  • Virus 0 Points
    I just returned my Nuvi 760 to Costco. They wouldn't give me cash, but instead credited the return to my Credit Card.
  • Marc 191 Points
    I'll bet you bought it on a credit card. This is fairly consistent behavior among stores I have dealt with.
  • Virus 0 Points
    Yes I did. Unfortuneately, I had to cancel the Card because of an eroneous charge from someone. They were happy to credit another credit card. Costco without a doubt has the best customer service and return policies. I just wish people didn't abuse the system.
  • Mark29 0 Points
    Actually except for televisions and computers their is no time limit on returns, including GPS units. It used to be true even for TVs and computers until people abused the hell out of the policy.
    Are you sure about the policy? I thought I had read they changed the policy across the board due to abuse. Pretty foolish on their part, of course consumers are going to abuse such an open policy. I've read of people buying a digital SLR and returning it a couple years later and getting the newest model in exchange. Nice for consumers, big money loser for the retailer. I can't imagine their suppliers were very supportive, Costco likely ate the loss on their own.
  • yahooman 0 Points
    Did they give you a hard time when you returned it just to "discourage" future abuse?
  • YourFun2 0 Points
    I have returned a couple of GPS's to Costco and a few other items.

There is no time limit on a GPS.

If you purchase online with a credit card, they will give you cash.

If you use a credit card in the store, they will put it back on the card.

The only cards they accept in the store are their own.
  • Virus 0 Points
    Did they give you a hard time when you returned it just to "discourage" future abuse?
    I wasn't sure if this was directed at me, but Costco did not give me a hard time. They just wanted a card to credit or give me an in store credit.
  • jww 0 Points
    This is one of Costco's strongest points. I have returned items, with or without receipts up to two years after the purchase, and they have always refunded me my money. OK, so sometimes it's via a gift-card, but I have no issues with that. Costco is still one of the safest places to purchase goods from, imo. That is, so long, as you are ok with the limited selection.

I have been after a GPS with both North American and Europe & UK maps (although I'd settle for NA and UK if I could find one) and they currently only have Magellan 3125 and 4250 in our local store at the moment. Online has more selection, but nothing with UK 7 European maps.
  • YourFun2 0 Points
    I forgot to add, If you don't have a receipt, their policy is to issue a cash card.
  • Marc 191 Points

Actually they accept any American Express card. I have a CitiBank American Express that I use at Costco and get points that combine with my Master Card for travel awards.
  • Virus 0 Points

Actually they accept any American Express card. I have a CitiBank American Express that I use at Costco and get points that combine with my Master Card for travel awards.
    I also have a Citibank Amex card, but they changed their percentages from 5% cash back to 2% cash back for Gas, groceries and drug stores. They also limit cash back to $300 annually. I decided to go with the Costco Amex card. 3% cash back on gas and dining out, 1% everywhere else and an additional 2% cash back from Costco if you have an Executive membership. The extra 2% on normal purchases is strictly the Costco rebate and doesn't apply to gas or dining cash back. It's only goo at Costco. The Costco executive cash back is limited to $500 annually, but the Amex card has no limits. After reading the fine print on all the good cards, this one seemed the best overall.
  • YourFun2 0 Points
    I too have the American Express Card. I thought it was the best way to go from all the offers I have received. One problem I have found is, some of the gas stations I frequent will not accept the card.

To stay on topic, the card also gives you an extra year on your GPS warranty
  • Ken-55 0 Points
    Costco's "customer satisfaction" policy is awesome!!

I've bought (and returned) several car starter battery packs over the years. It seems that the batteries refuse to hold a charge after 2 or 3 years. I just bring the old one in, they look it up and issue me a cash card, I grab a new one and pay using the cash card.

Abuse?? . . . if they make one that lasts, I'd be satisfied! ;-)

BTW: GPS units ARE covered, I checked before I had my parents buy one there.
  • yahooman 0 Points
    Will they take it back if you registered the unit or activated the freebie subscription service online?
  • Virus 0 Points
    Will they take it back if you registered the unit or activated the freebie subscription service online?
    Yes
  • B-Line 0 Points
    Their return policy here in Canada as I read in their store the other day is 90 day return on computers, tv's, ipods and cameras. I don't think it will be too long before it's gps's as well.
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    My take on Costco's return policy is this. If I feel the product has not lasted an acceptable amount of time, I return it without any feelings of abuse. However, if the product has lasted it's intended lifetime, I don't return it.

For instance, if my Nuvi 760 dies in 1.5 years on its own (i.e. I didn't drop it or abuse it) I would take it back. However, if the screen gets cracked because I sat on it or dropped it, I wouldn't take it back (even if I did that after owning for only a few days). Although I am sure Costco would take it back with no questions asked. If in 5 years it dies, I would not probably take it back, even though I think it should probably last longer than that. At that point, I feel it has given me the use I was looking for.

My wife and I take very good care of our items purchased from Costco. We only return things to Costco when we truly are not satisfied with them, not because something newer and better came out 2 years later. However, if they start carrying something better/cheaper after only a few months, I would have no issue with returning the item or getting a price adjustment. That threshold is obviously different for everyone.

Bryan
  • Virus 0 Points
    My set of rules are different. If it lasts longer than the warranty period or 1 year, whichever is longer.
  • yahooman 0 Points
    How long will Costco give refund on price drop?
  • bacevedo 0 Points
    I am not sure if there is a time limit, but I think they limit it to only 1 refund. So if the price drops in 3 weeks and you get a refund, and then it drops again in 5 weeks you won't get another refund. It's not an official policy - they do it as a courtesy.

I found this out a few years ago when I bought my Garmin Quest and the price went down 2 times in a few months. I got the first refund no problem, but they wouldn't refund me on the second reduction, even though I could have returned the unit and bought it again for the new lower price. When I told them that, they said you are more than welcome to return the unit and buy it again. I never did, because I didn't think that was the right thing to do and was still pretty happy with the price I paid for it.

Bryan
  • olga 0 Points
    Any advices? Costco refused to help and I am, as a loyal Costco customer, not satisfied with that.
    We bought two Pioneer plasma TV, each $5K, BEFORE they had a new return policy. yes, it was a few years ago, in October 2003, but.... both TV stop working at same time. repair is $1.5K each as estimated.

$5K for ONLY 4 yo? Don't you think it is not ok?

Now I have trouble with returning or, at least, repair.

I called to customer service, corporate office and they sent me to warehouse we bought those TV. But, I am tired to speak with managers, who just don't want to have deal with that.

Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • Any advices? Costco refused to help and I am, as a loyal Costco customer, not satisfied with that.
    We bought two Pioneer plasma TV, each $5K, BEFORE they had a new return policy. yes, it was a few years ago, in October 2003, but.... both TV stop working at same time. repair is $1.5K each as estimated.

$5K for ONLY 4 yo? Don't you think it is not ok?

Now I have trouble with returning or, at least, repair.

I called to customer service, corporate office and they sent me to warehouse we bought those TV. But, I am tired to speak with managers, who just don't want to have deal with that.

Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    How is this Costco's problem? You should be contacting the manufacturer, not the retailer.

If it can be shown to be a manufacturing defect, the manufacturer should own up to it. Should retailers life-cycle test every product they sell? Or maybe they should all have Quality Control labs and inspect incoming product. Sorry if I sound cynical, but I'm not seeing how a retailer, especially a discount club warehouse, can be held accountable for products a full 5 years after the sale.

My advice is to contact Pioneer. You should also check plasma TV or HDTV user forums and look for similar failures with the same model.

Mark
  • olga 0 Points
    Thank you for replay. I did call to Pioneer first, but they said it is too late to call. This is the very first the most expensive TV I have ever had, and the worst one. This is why I am complaining. I have never ever returned ANY electronic after years of use. It sounds imberessing to me. NEVER. But I am not happy with this purchase.

Anyway, actually, Costco already helped me with one TV by giving price adjustment. I am OK with that.