This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Planning Route on PC

rockfordwhite 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Is there any software available that allows me to plan a route on a PC and then upload it onto my Navigon?

Comments

• So since nobody seemed to know the answer i went looking around and solved this, so i figure you guys may want to know.

First, go map your route out on google maps (dragging and dropping to change as you please). Whenever it is to your likings, get the link to the document (upper right hand corner) and add &output=kml to the end of the link. So goto the link, and save the KML file. Then you need to download, or webstart (you need java on your computer) route converter at

http://www.routeconverter.de/

Then in there, it is pretty self explanitory, open the file and you can save it as a navigon MN6 file (the lines will look weird on the map but just ignore them).

Then just move it into your routes folder and load it on your route planner in navigon.
  • This could be a real convenience to use. I cannot stand typing in lots of addresses when trying to find the best route for picking up six kids, driving them to the ball field, then to the Dairy Queen, then to their houses, in an efficient manner.

I tried one and it converted easily and transferred it to my 2100.

Now, if I can only remember how to access it from the Navigon menu. :wink:

{edit}
    OK, I looked it up....from the main menu,
    OPTIONS....ROUTE PLANNING...OPTIONS...SAVED ROUTES.
  • Nav 0 Points
    I did this & it looks like it might work. I havent actually drive the route yet. Weird though is breaks it up into lots of smaller chunks on my turn by turn list.

Also, right under saving it as a Navigon mobile navigator 6.rte. There is a selection to save as a navigator 6 favorite. Has anyone tried to place it there, wherever that folder is?
  • agxo3 0 Points
    Tried the Mac version - didn't work for me. But the Windows version worked. I will try the route tomorrow on my commute.

And a note to the new user - I have a new 2100Max and did not have any saved routes when I started. So even after I moved the routes into the Routes folder, I could not find them until I created a route and saved it.
  • agxo3 0 Points
    Tried the Mac version - didn't work for me. But the Windows version worked. I will try the route tomorrow on my commute.

And a note to the new user - I have a new 2100Max and did not have any saved routes when I started. So even after I moved the routes into the Routes folder, I could not find them until I created a route and saved it.
    Okay - so I tried it this morning - unsuccessfully. It kept trying to route me through a loop around a nearby neighborhood and wouldn't rcognize that I'd skipped that loop. So it kept trying to turn me around - even 10 miles down the road!!!! I wonder why? Maybe I screwed up and started the route a bit later?Maybe I should start it BEFORE I get moving? Not logical.

Also - it told me my destination was on the right - but it was on the left. Good thing I knew where I was going!!!

Not a good start to my owning this thing. I may have to return it and get a REAL navigator!
  • Same thing happened to me. If you look at the route, it is really a bunch of routes stuck together. Each intersection is treated as a destination. Thus if you miss one, the navigator tries to get you back there.
    The normal routing in the navigon tries to get you to your ultimate destination, not the next intersection. If you go the wrong way around the block it calculates a new route the the end, not back to the original intersection.

That is the fault of the PC generated route, not the Navigon.
  • agxo3 0 Points
    Same thing happened to me. If you look at the route, it is really a bunch of routes stuck together. Each intersection is treated as a destination. Thus if you miss one, the navigator tries to get you back there.
    The normal routing in the navigon tries to get you to your ultimate destination, not the next intersection. If you go the wrong way around the block it calculates a new route the the end, not back to the original intersection.

That is the fault of the PC generated route, not the Navigon.
    Generally, I think what you said is right -

So, I tried it again this morning, and made sure I started navigation BEFORE I got moving. First two turns were good, but the third turn tried to send me in the wrong direction - to the right, up to a dead end a, u-turn and back! And would not recalculate that segment when I made the correct turn, which led me to the correct end to that segment. So it still failed the test!

Now THAT's the fault of the Navigon! Strange behavior, because when I give it a destination and then deviate from the route it's trying to put me on, it correctly re-routes and doesn't try to send me back to the "wrong" turn.

Overall, it's not doing well, but I was also unhappy with the Magellan. The traffic data on the Navigon seems to be more comprehensive than that of the Magellan, for some reason.

It does bother me that my work address is showing up on the wrong side of the street - while on theMagellan, it was correct - and they BOTH use Navteq maps! So either Magellan has caught an error in the map data dn fixed it, or Navigon is using wrong or outdated maps.