This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Deciding on Smart/cell/iPhone GPS

coolmach 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
After using standalone gps, I'm giving up on them esp. regarding stand alone POIs. I'd like to have POIs current & don't want to download or customize them. Keeping several separate devices (cell, gps,..) getting old.

I am thinking of renewing Verizon plan. They have LG Voyger or Samsung Glyde or Palm Pearl. All with GPS.

GPS is $10/mo* includes traffic, TTS, route, 14Mil POIs, gas price, movies, events, weather...
(per Vz rep, don't need data plan for GPS. You could add to your voice plan)

My cell is going to cost me <=$100 w/2yr & being previous VZ 2-year customer. Here is FYI costs based on 4 year life cycle of device. I'm sure touch devices gets beaten up faster.

-------------------------- VZ------------------------------Dash
Hardware--------------$100-----------------------------$300
GPS Subscription*----$10 ------------------------------$10(approx)
(Don't want to prepay by annual)

Total cost--------------$580------------------------------$780
----($100 +4 years * 12 months * $10GPS/mo)----($300 +480)

Function---------------All-in-one------------------------Mostly except Phone
------------------------Pocketable-----------------------Non-pocketable

My must requirements are met by cell
1) TTS & Street names spoken
2) Current or internet POIs
3) Screen size >= 2.5"

Appreciate people's experience or thoughts on Cell phone GPS.

1) Are they mature compare to Nuvi/TT/Magellan or too early to get into?
2) I'm hoping I could take a phone call (say thru bluetooth stand alone separate speaker) & still follow TTS directions
3) Any experience on cell GPS response being fast & accurate (compared to Nuvi/TT/Magellan)

Comments

• Tim 1481 Points
    My experience with them is as follows. The smaller screen is noticeable, especially if you are used to the 4" displays. The displays are also not quite as good (typically) in direct sunlight. Most phone speakers are crap. And when you go out of cell range you are out of luck...

But they do have one big feature... convenience.
  • jww 0 Points
    I am using my BlackBerry 8130 as a GPS right now with BlackBerry Maps. It's only barely adequate and thus I am considering a proper GPS unit for the dedicated functions of guidance on the roads.
  • coolmach 0 Points
    edited June 2008
    Eye opening comments. Thanks!

When I drive, I mostly use TTS & try not look at GPS screen. Not loud enough speaker can be issue. 1) Any cell vendor that could patch voice(TTS) to car stereo?

Samsung Voyger 4* rating & has speaker being low
    http//www.amazon.com/review/product/B000Z3TSDW/ref=pd_bbs_2_cm_cr_acr_txt?%5Fencoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

2) When some one is out of cell range in California, let's say they ask POIs in NY, unit might not get that data. But may not be current path & pois. Clever vendor might download that data already into local memory & use gps function to map.

Per Tim's comments, if all cell phones go out when cell range is lost, *it is problem for me*. I could understand tunnels (dead-reckoning).

3) By switching to ATT, I could wait for iPhone 3G & hoping I could get it. I have to wait to see it's GPS features. I'm hearing initially maps on it...It has lot more features WiFi, download apps...
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Keep in mind that GPS software for phones does try to account for cell signal loss as much as possible-- they try to pre-load as much as they can when you create and are following the route-- but that doesn't help you much if you need to plan a route from a location that doesn't have a cell signal.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Most cell phones now have a headphone jack, usually stereo. With that you can plug into an aux input on your car stereo or use a cassette adapter if the stereo has a cassete slot to play through the speakers.
  • block215 0 Points
    yea you can get one of those blank tapes with the headphone jack attached to em and plug it into your gps headphone jack and play the tapeback and itll play outta your speakers
  • patruns 10 Points
    yea you can get one of those blank tapes with the headphone jack attached to em and plug it into your gps headphone jack and play the tapeback and itll play outta your speakers
    Just a minor clarification. There is actually no tape in the cartridge. The head in the cartridge "communicates" with the cassette player in the car. The reels rotate as a normal cassette but there is no tape attached to them. I only point that out in case someone sees the word tape and makes the assumption that there is one and it will wear out, become tangled or break. :)
  • coolmach 0 Points
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the Aux input idea. I didn't think about it. I use it with my mp3 player some times.

Actually, I want to use a Blue tooth speaker (separate from car stereo). While driving distances, my kids want to watch vehicle DVD thru car stereo/wireless head sets.

***1) Could cell phones send music audio to BT speakers that you leave them in the car (selling at Costco for phone)? I know their main purpose is phone call connection. They do sell BT ear buds for mp3s but I need BT speakers with both any audio & phone call patching.***

2) Any one know if iPhone will have GPS navigation immediately (it will come w/GPS chip)? TT said they'll have software for iphone. Costs are not known.

3) Do u think I could get iPhone 3G by July 11th ( I wondered about being sold out)? Do I get low priority as I have to switch from VZ to ATT?
  • patruns 10 Points
    I can't answer 1 & 2 but as to 3........ I would think that you would go to the head of the line if you are not already an AT&T customer. They want new customers. They already have the others hooked. :wink: