This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Importing Routes from Google maps to Nuvi 760 (a How To)

I don't know if this has been posted, but I thought I'd share it.

1. 1) Use google maps to create a route. You can now drag the route line to modify your route. Very slick.
    2) copy URL (the http://www.maps.coogle.com line
    3) open notepad and paste this line
    4) save this file as route.url (not route.url.txt)
    5) open RouteConverter, a free download from routeconverter.de
    6) Click the top right button to open the route.url file you created.
    7) Tweak the points as needed. Remember this is just a set of points.
    8) connect Nuvi to PC
    8) choose save as Garmin map source 6.x
    9) press the disk button and save the GDB file to the garmin directory on your Nuvi
    10) disconnect Nuvi

2. on Nuvi: Tools -->My Data --> import Route from FIle

DONE

Comments

• Tim 1486 Points
    While you can't drag the route line from MapQuest, none of the additional steps are necessary over there-- just create the route with all of the points and send it over to the GPS directly from the website with a click.
  • Well, I tried the routeconverter.exe, followed the steps outlined above and got ..... nothing useful.

The routeconverter program does not pick up the Google Maps waypoints. The route.url file is acessed (apparently) but nothing happens to go get the actual waypoints. Routeconverter just shows a map of the world and no waypoints.

Trying to write this .gdb to the Garmin directory gets an error "can't write the specified file" or something like that.
  • Okay, I tried downloading a route from MapQuest and that works very well. I like Google Maps better than Mapquest for map use but for GPS downloading ... I guess I'm going with MapQuest.

BTW: this process requires that you download Garmin Communicator Plugin (which nobody mentioned that I remember). However, I was prompted that I needed it and the download was fast and simple.

nuff said
    -NWJ
  • Zozzie 0 Points
    Okay, I tried downloading a route from MapQuest and that works very well. I like Google Maps better than Mapquest for map use but for GPS downloading ... I guess I'm going with MapQuest.

BTW: this process requires that you download Garmin Communicator Plugin (which nobody mentioned that I remember). However, I was prompted that I needed it and the download was fast and simple.
    Are MapQuest routes customizable, meaning can I plot my own route rather than just making a start & end map by letting MQ plot the route it chooses? I don't see a feature for what I need on their site.
  • Tim 1486 Points
    Yes, you can add waypoints to your route to force the route you want with MapQuest.
  • Zozzie 0 Points
    Yes, you can add waypoints to your route to force the route you want with MapQuest.
    What is the feature that allows me to do that? I can't see it. I'm looking for the push-pin type thing that Google Maps uses.
  • Tim 1486 Points
    They don't use that type of system. You just add new locations to the route as if you were driving to multiple places in one trip. So you can achieve the same results (custom route) but the manner you get there is different.
  • Google now requires you to ckick the LINK button (upper right on map) to get the URL with waypoints.
  • I just tried to copy a gdb file to the garmin dir on the device and it doesn't show under My Data. Any ideas? Kinda new to this stuff.
  • I just tried this, and for some reason it is not working for me.

I make the route, then I go to "LINK" and copy the link for it. I save it as route.url and open it but for some reason only a tiny part of the route shows up as saved not the whole route,. I tried it 3 times with the same result.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
  • I tried Mapquest also, didn't work, kept giving me errors.
  • yomoe 0 Points
    I was hoping the download from Mapquest would work - Putting routes in the 760 is laboring -

But kept getting message: 'Too many items selected (1)'

I'm flying out of state next week, and was hoping to pre enter some routes of my intended road travels with out fighting with the 760 trying to get them entered - :x
  • alanb 557 Points
    Are you getting this message in Mapquest or on the nuvi?
  • yomoe 0 Points
    On the 760
  • alanb 557 Points
    How many waypoints do you have in the route you are tryng to import? How many saved routes do you already have on the nuvi?
  • yomoe 0 Points
    For a test transfer, I made a short route - start & end points, no waypoints & only traveled maybe 6 blocks -

I have 10 routes already stored in the nuvi with a total of about 60 waypoints.
    Also have 23 favorites.

Is it possible that amount would fill the memory?

Thanks for your help, alanb.
  • alanb 557 Points
    yomoe, I think you got your answer in another thread, but I will answer here as well in case someone else runs across this thread. Ten routes is the maximum you can have stored in "Custom Routes". However, you can store additional routes as GPX files in the \garmin\gpx folder either in internal memory or a SD card. If you want to use one of these routes, delete one of the 10 from Custom Routes, then import the GPX file you need using the Tools - MyData - Import Route from file and that will put it in Custom Routes where you can use it for navigation.
  • yomoe 0 Points
    Thanks alanb -

Now that I understand that, I can start tackling the task of importing routes from mapquest or Google -

I prefer Google - can you aim me towards a thread that will give me some hints?
  • alanb 557 Points
    Unfortunately, Google exports the GPX as waypoints instead of route points, so you can't export a route directly from google to the nuvi like you can with Mapquest. There are some utility programs that allow you to convert the Google GPX file to a Garmin style route file, but it is an extra step to go through. Here is another thread that discusses it quite extensively:
    http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/16275/x/p1/

You can also use Microsoft Streets & Trips and DeLorme Street Atlas USA for route preplanning on the PC and transfer to the nuvi.