This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Difference between maestro and roadmate?

vaterp 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
Hi all,

I'm new to the game and just about to pick one of these up from costco. I'm a little confused though between the differences.

I'm looking at the 3225 for $150 or the roadmate 1412 or 1430.

I see the screen is bigger on the roadmates, but are there any other differnces? I cant find any spec/feature sheets anywhere.

Also, is the only difference between the 1412 and the 1430 that the 1430 has traffic capabilities?

Thanks for the advice!
-brian

Comments

• patruns 10 Points
    Both series have large screens available depending on model. The Roadmate series is a little bit of a crossover series as there are topo maps available for some. The Maestro series has more bells and whistles as you get into the higher numbers. Many have Bluetooth and TTS capabilities which is scarce in the Roadmate series.
  • vaterp 0 Points
    Since i'm interested in the lower model numbers, is there any standout features between the two (besides screen size?)

I dont need or care about bluetooth, mp3, etc...

Thanks -brian
  • patruns 10 Points
    The 2 Roadmates have a bigger screen, text to speech and 6 million POIs. The Maestro does not have TTS and only 1.3million POIs. The 2 series also use different chipsets and the Roadmate accesses 30 channels and the Maestro 20 channels. Roadmate uses Atlas III chipset and Maestro uses SiRF III. I cannot tell you what the difference is as far as performace is concerned.
  • vaterp 0 Points
    Thanks thats a good feature diff for me! I'm surprised how hard it is to get a feature comparision from the manufacter. I think the roadmate is definitly more my speed then.... any other brands that have a good match against the roadmate in the 200$ range, that I should consider?

Thanks alot!
  • patruns 10 Points
    Well, if you don't mind a bit of a steep learning curve for features beyond basic routing and are a techy kinda guy/gal, keep you eyes open for frequent sales of the iPAQ 310 at Amazon. You can often find one near $200 every couple of weeks. You can read Tim's review here:

http://www.gpsreview.net/hp-ipaq-310/
  • vaterp 0 Points
    Thanks for the tip on ipaq. Indeed i had not considered that one as I was mainly looking at magellan until now. Advanced features/hacking away doesnt scare me in the slightest, (I'm a computer geek for a living), I actually look forward to that aspect... tinkering is half the fun ;).

Anyway, I'll keep my eyes open for a sale on these in the 200$ range and I'll jump. I never thought I'd care about mp3, bluetooth, etc... but if its in the same price range, why not...!

Thanks for the tip....

Any other specific ones I should check out folks?

All I really want is one for my car, w/ a 4.5" screen and text to speech, everything else is just gravy.

Thanks all,
    brian
  • Tim 1497 Points
    These would be worth checking out.
  • cz9h3d 0 Points
    edited July 2008
    I actually have the 3225, and had the 1412 until a couple days ago....

Test-to-Speech is available on both Maestro and Roadmate, and is dependent on the actual model. 3225 has it, as does 1412.

Major differences between 3225 and 1412 are:

Screen Size: 3225 3.5", 1412 4.3"
    POI: 1.3M on 3225, 6M on 1412, but the 3225 is easily upgradeable to the 6M via an easy file replacement available on the net (and I actually also used the POI file on the 1412 on my 3225). POI's are very very useful, so don't discount their value. Think about when you're in a strange city and want a quick coffee, Micky D's, closest Costco, etc!
    Memory: 3225 has 2mb internal, 1412 uses a 2mb SD card.
    Speed: 3225 is quicker to turn on, as well as respond to screen inputs occasionally, as well as during POI searches. However the 1412 is very usable, and I would not discount it because of this
    Screen Brightness: 3225 is very bright (too bright at night some say in lowest setting), 1412 very usable, just not as "vibrant".
    Night Mode: 1412 has a better nightmode - streets are in a "calming" blue/gray rather that white as on the 3225
    Directional Arrows: 1412 has larger orange direction arrows on the actual map/streets, vs. smaller blue ones on the 3225.
    Size: 3225 is very compact and pocketable. The design of the case makes it seem very thin, although the 1412 is about the same thinness but seems thicker due to it's case design.
    Maps: 1412 had newer maps (31?) than the 3225 (29?), although I saw no differences. Both lacked a road near me that opened about a year ago.
    Accessories: If you're comparing the Costco pack, the 3225 comes with a USB cable and a wall AC charger.
    Rerouting: 3225 announces "rerouting" when you deviate from the route, the 1412 just calculates the new route and begins giving you the new directions.
    Speaker: 1412 is a little better quality, can get louder, although 3225 works great for e.

After agonizing, I selected the 3225 as it's a "part time" unit, so the smaller size was more desirable (and works great using a vent clip for mounting). This was comparing both at $150 (1412 has a $50 coupon at Costco a few weeks ago).

If you are planning on using it all the time and having a semi-permanent mount, I'd probably go for the larger screen of the 1412.

I think the Magellan interface is extremely easy to use. About the only thing it lacks is showing the selected route on a map - you can view it by looking at the turn list, or zooming out on the map. For $150, you can't go wrong.
  • vaterp 0 Points
    Thanks, thats a great list, appreciate it!
  • Isn't the Atlas chipset quite old?
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    I actually have the 3225, and had the 1412 until a couple days ago....

Test-to-Speech is available on both Maestro and Roadmate, and is dependent on the actual model. 3225 has it, as does 1412.

Major differences between 3225 and 1412 are:

Screen Size: 3225 3.5", 1412 4.3"
    POI: 1.3M on 3225, 6M on 1412, but the 3225 is easily upgradeable to the 6M via an easy file replacement available on the net (and I actually also used the POI file on the 1412 on my 3225). POI's are very very useful, so don't discount their value. Think about when you're in a strange city and want a quick coffee, Micky D's, closest Costco, etc!
    Memory: 3225 has 2mb internal, 1412 uses a 2mb SD card.
    Speed: 3225 is quicker to turn on, as well as respond to screen inputs occasionally, as well as during POI searches. However the 1412 is very usable, and I would not discount it because of this
    Screen Brightness: 3225 is very bright (too bright at night some say in lowest setting), 1412 very usable, just not as "vibrant".
    Night Mode: 1412 has a better nightmode - streets are in a "calming" blue/gray rather that white as on the 3225
    Directional Arrows: 1412 has larger orange direction arrows on the actual map/streets, vs. smaller blue ones on the 3225.
    Size: 3225 is very compact and pocketable. The design of the case makes it seem very thin, although the 1412 is about the same thinness but seems thicker due to it's case design.
    Maps: 1412 had newer maps (31?) than the 3225 (29?), although I saw no differences. Both lacked a road near me that opened about a year ago.
    Accessories: If you're comparing the Costco pack, the 3225 comes with a USB cable and a wall AC charger.
    Rerouting: 3225 announces "rerouting" when you deviate from the route, the 1412 just calculates the new route and begins giving you the new directions.
    Speaker: 1412 is a little better quality, can get louder, although 3225 works great for e.

After agonizing, I selected the 3225 as it's a "part time" unit, so the smaller size was more desirable (and works great using a vent clip for mounting). This was comparing both at $150 (1412 has a $50 coupon at Costco a few weeks ago).

If you are planning on using it all the time and having a semi-permanent mount, I'd probably go for the larger screen of the 1412.

I think the Magellan interface is extremely easy to use. About the only thing it lacks is showing the selected route on a map - you can view it by looking at the turn list, or zooming out on the map. For $150, you can't go wrong.
    The POI and map is fresher!