This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

NEW Garmin OREGON Series

Comments

• If Garmin reads this and wants to send me an Oregon for testing I would be willing to give it another chance.

:lol: Now
    that's funny!

no consumer GPS'es that will give you repeatable one to four foot accuracy.
    I was well aware of this. My Etrex Vista was usually around 15 to 30. This is why I was just blown away with the 60SCx I just received. To be within 4 feet everytime is just unbelievable. You couldn't pry this unit away from me with a crowbar.

I hope it continues to be that accurate. I down loaded some Geocash sites in my area. I will give the unit a good workout over the next couple of weeks. We'll see how she does. Thanks for your responses Boyd.

Bill
  • Hit I have been a big fan of the 60 Csx myself and from my informal test while hunting and hiking, both in daylight and darkness the 60 seemed to be the most accurate unit that I have ever used and I've owned a lot of units over the past 11 years.

However, the accuracy reading that the unit displays is just an estimate and in some cases based on known waypoints or markers was not very conservative and was a lot more than what was posted on the unit at the time.

I've used my unit to travel to and from my car to the treestand and while the unit always brought me right to the location I don't think I've ever gotten within one foot, twenty or thirty feet sure but never within a foot.

Even twenty feet is excellent given all the variables and I've had many units that couldn't even come close to that type of accuracy on their best day with perfect conditions and no overhead cover.

One thing we have to remember that compared to the Garmin 60 Csx these other units are fairly new and with updates through software and firmware could quickly close the gap and tighten up their accuracy.

Take care, Roger
  • BTW Boyd great map I'll have to hop on over to the site and check it out!

Thanks, Roger
  • Skybow,

I agree the software may close the gap, and actually I'm hoping it does. The Oregon does have a different chip set that I'm hoping does not prove to be a disapointment over the 60CSx.

I know the units usually are within 10-30 feet accurate and that is all I was hoping for and all I need. However, this particular unit I have is much more accurate than that. I don't know why. I have used it now for almost two weeks and it has not been further off than 4 feet from any waypoint I go to. Usually much more accurate. This may vary in the future but right now I am extremely happy with the 60CSx. If anything happen to it I would purchase another one immediately.

Thanks for your post.

Bill
  • Bill you can't argue with success I say stick with the 60 I'm very happy with mine and it certainly hasn't let me down.

Have fun and get yourself some good mapping software like Topo USA 7.0 and start mapping out all your areas.

Have fun, Roger
  • Not that anyone cares what I think...

But here are 3 things that I'd like to see on the Oregon:

If you are pan'ing around on the map, and the push-pin inadvertently gets activated, the back arrow should just disable the push-pin, not take you back to where you were before you started pan'ing.

It would be cool to be able to have a particular profile where the GPS Mode is always set to Demo. Even after a power cycle.

I wish I could re-order the Where To? Sub-menu. Same with the Track Manager and the Route Planner and Waypoint Manager while I'm at it.

There are more "annoyances", but I'll save them for later...

I found some really cool stuff last night, I should share that instead of just crying... Probably not new information to everyone, but what the hay... I'm going to share it.

This is only specific to Northwest users.

I found - North West Trails:

http://www.switchbacks.com/maps/NW_Trails.html

They've put together a trail map database (transparent Map) for some of the NW states trails. Very cool collaboration.

and

Then there's GPSFileDepot

They have a free 24k Topo for Washington State.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/95/

There's a bunch of other stuff there as well. Worth checking out...

Overall the Oregon rules.

Sam
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    All very good points sam - ESPECIALLY #1. It is a real pain when you've dragged the map a great distance and accidentally tap which gives you the map tack.

GPSFileDepot does indeed have a lot of cool stuff. And the Oregon is a great platform to develop maps for - I have created one myself for Southern NJ with a very high level of detail:

• Boyd,

Nice looking map I see you've taken the hands on approach and instead of waiting for Garmin to make the map you've made your own nice work!!!

Perhaps Garmin would entertain some of these request but I've never had any luck with trying to talk with the Garmin folks.

Take care, Roger
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    Thanks Styk. Life is too short to spend it waiting for Garmin :)

Here's a comparison of the pre-loaded US Topo 2008 and my map. To be fair though, my map only covers half of New Jersey (a small state) but uses almost 200MB of memory.

• Does anyone else have this issue:

Sometime (randomly) while poking around in the menus, I'll tap a button, the button turns blue, yet the function doesn't activate. It's annoying.

I had an phone years ago, where you could push the number buttons on the keypad and it would beep an you, but it would not really activate the button push (DTMF tones were not sent to the network).

It's almost like the buttons have three states:

State 1 - not pushed.
    State 2 - pushed half way (button turns blue, but function is not activated).
    State 3 - (if you push it harder) button turns blue and button function is activated.

I'm thinking that there should only be two state: off (button not pushed) or on (button turning blue and function being activated concurently.

Is my Oregon broken, or are others seeing this as well?

Any thoughts or ideas anyone???

Sam
  • I have the same problem with mine. It seems to happen when I jump between screens fast. It is like the unit is trying to think or gets confused. I'm hopping they will fix it as time goes by.
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    Wow, I've never seen that. I am running the newest (I think) firmware.
  • As far as I now I have the latest firmware also. The problem seemed to get worse after installing it. My unit also seems to loose map detail if I use the car power cord for extended periods. I'm hoping all this gets fixed over time, but even with these few problems this unit rocks.
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    Garmin has just released the beta version of new Oregon software. Looks like there are a number of new features:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4393

Change History

Changes made from version 2.93 to 2.94:

Report any problems with beta software to OregonBeta@garmin.com

Note: After updating, the first GPS acquisition will take longer than normal. After the Oregon has been on long enough to collect the necessary GPS data, acquisition times will return to normal.

Added ability to see a list of points from the map when several points are at the same location
    Added ability to edit a waypoint from the waypoint review
    Improved render quality of GB Discoverer maps and maps with satellite imagery
    Improved Main Menu setup and added option to add and remove items.
    Improved readability of configurable data fields
    Fixed increased battery consumption and shutdowns in some units
  • @rt 0 Points
    Can someone tell me what bit depth the screenshots are saved as when
    it is done with the unit itself?
    Would be interested to know if it saved a 24 bit bitmap or 16 bit bitmap.

Also, I hear it can display photos.
    Are there any limitations on the type of files you can display?

Basically, I just found out the unit normally displays 16 bit colour which means
    thousands of colours rather than 16.7 million colours.

I wonder if there's a 24 bit capability where photos or backgrounds are concerned.
    Cheers, Art.
  • Hi All,
    I'm ready to upgrade from my "state of the art" emap to a newer device and this forum has been a huge help. I've narrowed it down to the Oregon 400t or the GPS60Csx. I'd be sold on the 400 if it weren't for the accuracy and screen visibility issues. I'll keep lurking and hoping for some improvements to the 400 or I'll buy the 60.

BOYD.......saw your maps of the Pine Barrons and they look great. I ride off road motorcycles up there occasionally and I was wondering if I could buy a map set from you. My sense of direction in the woods is nonexistent so I can use all the help I can get. Would your maps be compatible with both the 60CSX and the Oregon?
    Thanks,
    Doug
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    This version is supposed to fix the shutdown bug in the last one. As with versioin 2.99, you can now name map files anything you want as long as you add the .img extension and put them in the Garmin folder. Very cool. Have not yet tried this myself, but it's getting good reports elsewhere on the net.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4393

Updates & Downloads
    Oregon 300 software version 3.01 Beta

as of June 22, 2009

Notes:

* Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Change History
    Changes made from version 2.99 to 3.01:

* Fixed improper shutdown.
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    A review of the new Oregon 550, along with lots of screenshots and photos, has been posted here:

http://gpsinformation.info/penrod/oregoncamera/oregoncamera.html

It sounds like the main change in the screen is a glossy instead of matte finish, and that it makes very little difference in visibility. The camera and geo-tagging features actually look pretty cool to me though.
  • Jinkers 0 Points
    Hi all,

I am new to the forums here. I am a GPS user but not to the technical level that many here are. I currently have a Garmin eTrex Vista and have been very happy with it but it is getting old and a bit beat up. So, I am looking at maybe upgrading to the Oregon but like most I have some questions.

First, I have the Garmin Mapsource CD's for my eTrex. The base map in the eTrex was worthless, Mapsource has been good but not great. I see that some of the Oregon versions come with a base map, some with a preloaded topographic maps and some with preloaded U.S. Inland Lakes. The information on Garmins web site is somewhat sketchy as to what these maps contain and what the differences are. Since Garmin offers Trail Maps and Road Maps as additional purchases I am guessing that the preloaded maps are lacking. Can anyone shed some light on what the different versions contain, how complete they are and what would make the add on maps worth spending the extra $100 on?

Most of my other questions are easier, such as how long does a set of batteries last? How hard are software updates to install? Does Garmin charge for software updates? How durable are they?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Scott
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    The all of the Oregon's have a base map. It has crude road detail and low resolution DEM (digital elevation model) data to provide shaded terrain. The 400i and 400c have a different basemap which includes low resolution satellite imagery.

The 200 is the basic model with no internal memory or detailed maps. You need to add your own data card for map. Also no compass or altimeter. Arguably the best bang for the buck however.

The 300 adds the compass and altimeter, plus ~850mb free internal memory.

The 400t has 4gb internal memory and includes Garmin's US Topo 100k software. This is the same map as the following:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=28229&pvID=29597

The 400i has 1.85GB internal memory and includes G2 Vision Inland Lakes maps.

The 400c has 984MB internal memory and includes bluechart G2 Vision coastal maps.

THe 550 has 850MB internal memory and adds a builtin camera with geotagging features plus a better compass.

The 550t adds the same US Topo maps as the 400t.

If you got a 200 or 300, you should be able to use your existing US Topo maps. But due to software limits, you can't load the whole US at once. Also, if your maps are on CD (instead of DVD) they are an older version which doesn't support shaded terrain and doesn't work with the new BaseCamp software.

Have a peek at GPSFileDepot.com and see if any of the free maps might meet your needs.

Battery life seems to vary a lot depending on what you use. I use the cheapest Rayovac or whatever alkaline batteries I can find most of the time. Never completely ran them down, but they may only give 5 hours with backlight use. Some people claim 12 hour, even longer, life with expensive rechargeables.

System software updates are always free. Map updates can vary, depending on the product. They go for years without updating their topo maps, so don't expect freebies there.

I think the Oregon looks and feels very rugged. No problem with mine yet. It seems comparable to my GPSMap 60csx in that regard.
  • Jinkers 0 Points
    Boyd,

Thanks for the info. Very helpful :D

-Scott
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    The new Oregon software is finally out of beta. Quite a long list of improvements (which I believe have all appeared in the beta versions). Will have to finally give this a try on mine!

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4051
    Change History
    Changes made from version 2.80 to 3.10:

* Added Waypoint Averaging application (For more information visit our new Trail Tech website at http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/trail-tech/)
    * Added Sight 'N Go application for the Oregon 300/400i/400c/400t
    * Added Man Overboard application
    * Added big numbers option to the trip computer
    * Added customizable text to unit power-on screen (see \Garmin\startup.txt)
    * Added ability to load maps from any img file in the Garmin directory
    * Added new trip computer dashboards
    * Added option to display four configurable data fields on the map
    * Added 'search near' option to Geocaches search
    * Added the ability to view geocache logs separate from the description
    * Added ability to see a list of points from the map when several points are at the same location
    * Added ability to edit a waypoint from the waypoint review
    * Added support for Custom POI database and category selection
    * Added distance and bearing to point when reviewing a Custom POI
    * Added POI subcategories
    * Added change location to Sun and Moon
    * Added change location to Hunt and Fish
    * Added ability to force the Oregon into mass storage mode by holding the power button for 30 seconds while plugged into a USB cable
    * Added NMEA 9600 baud
    * Improved render quality of GB Discoverer maps and maps with satellite imagery
    * Improved map zooming
    * Improved map draw speed
    * Improved map panning and zooming when shaded relief is turned on
    * Improved automatic route recalculation
    * Improved Custom POI spell search
    * Improved Main Menu setup and added option to add and remove items
    * Improved readability of configurable data fields
    * Improved display of numeric degrees and mils
    * Improved GPS performance at slow speeds in tree cover
    * Improved compass responsiveness in challenging GPS environments
    * Improved battery gage for NiMH batteries
    * Improved stability when changing profiles
    * Improved Wherigo stability
    * Improved connection reliability with Spanner
    * Improved Spanish keyboard
    * Fixed airport points not displaying on the map
    * Fixed lockup when a search returns no results
    * Fixed elevation errors when reviewing a point other than a waypoint
    * Increased the number of waypoints viewable from the Waypoint Manager and Where To?>Waypoints
  • :x I just updated my Garmin to version 3.13 and it will no longer boot. It is totally trashed. I can't even to a hard reboot/system reboot. When I try to boot it up it just quits. I am, however, able to see all my files when I hook it up to my computer. But when I try to re-update it, I get the following message: "There was a problem copying files to destination drive. File or directory is corruptetd and undreadable". This only happened after the update. Does anyone have any ideas? I need help urgently...thanks!

tdemicke@rio.odn.ne.jp if you can e-mail me directly...thanks!
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    I know some people were experiencing this problem with one of the earlier beta's. Have not followed it myself unfortunately. Visit gpsfix.net and I think you will find some help.
  • What's the advantage of having the on-board compass of the Oregon 300 vs the 200? Does the GPS not tell you which direction the GPS is facing?

Also - does the 200 state altitude based on ones position on the topological map?

Curious if I need the 300 over the 200. :)
  • Tim 1456 Points
    See: What is an Electronic Compass?.

Altitude is derived from GPS, it does not assume you are on the ground.
  • Thanks for this! Pulling up more threads on this, I may be better off saving the $ and using a Silva compass when needed... like the idea this will contribute to a better battery life as well.
  • On this note, does the lack of the barometer/compass free up 'CPU cycles' with this GPS?
  • Tim 1456 Points
    I don't think it would make much of a difference in CPU load.
  • Ordered an Oregon 300 yesterday. Will be here tomorrow per UPS. Looking forward to giving it a whirl this weekend. :)
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    Congratulations! Let us know your impressions after you get outside with it. You will also want to check out the new raster imagery feature - see this thread: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/15841/x/p1/

It requires you to load the newest beta software however, so make a full backup of everything on your unit before attempting this and realize that it is still somewhat buggy - but (IMO) cool enough to be worth using anyway. :D
  • Congratulations! Let us know your impressions after you get outside with it. You will also want to check out the new raster imagery feature - see this thread: http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/15841/x/p1/

It requires you to load the newest beta software however, so make a full backup of everything on your unit before attempting this and realize that it is still somewhat buggy - but (IMO) cool enough to be worth using anyway. :D
    That - is very sweet. Thanks for pointing this out!
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    I just noticed that the opening splash screen can be customized with your contact name/number, whatever. It's not in the menus, but if you go into the "Garmin" folder on your Oregon or Dakota and find the Startup text file, it's editable. Typed my name and number at the end of the file as it instructs, changed the timing fro 0 to 10 seconds and saved it. At least an honest finder can return it to me now.

I'm sure Boyd already knew this, but for the rest of the dummies like me. . . :)
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    Actually I didn't know that Gator - thanks (although I've never had the desire to change the startup screen myself). There's also this program for customizing the Oregon (probably works on the Dakota?). Have never used it myself, so caveat emptor!

http://www.freewebs.com/defxev/OregonWhiz.htm
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Application update 4.2 for the x50 Oregon's released today

Change History
    Changes made from version 4.00 to 4.20:

* Fixed shutdown related to the current track that occurred after updating the software
    * Fixed a hang that occurred when a unit had 1000 auto-named waypoints
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Along with a beta application update released for the Dakota's earlier today, the Oregon versions are now available.

Oregon xx0 4.11 update can be downloaded at http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4741

For the xx5 4.31 version go to
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4743

Identical change history for both.

Updated magnetic Earth field data
    Improved GPS performance
    Fixed issue with track navigation sometimes not adding waypoints to the Active Route list
    Fixed issue with MPC map labels disappearing
    Fixed shutdown on the map page when you have a geocache dashboard active and return after pressing the geocache name
    Problems with the software may be reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    This is too cool! A night mode map for your Oregon and City Navigator.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/440/

The developer says for Oregon or Colorado, but I can't think of a reason it won't work with a Dakota too.
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    Funny, I have been meaning to do something similar, however just yesterday I had an insight into why there isn't a night mode on the Oregon. I have been developing a very complex map that has "dense" colors to it. It was designed for use primarily in night mode on the Nuvi and I'm very happy with the way it looks there. Also looks good to me in Mapsource/Basecamp on the computer.

I was just about to upload to GPSFileDepot yesterday but wanted to try it on the Oregon first. To my surprise: it looks terrible - almost unreadable. It really brings out the worst in the Oregon's screen (I have the 400t, which is the old style screen). The problem is that the Oregon screen has a very low contrast ratio (number of steps between black and white).

This probably wouldn't be much of an issue with the map you linked to, since it's a black background with light colored lines. But it's a big problem with this kind of map, which works well on the Nuvi. Not really sure what to do at this point, because I don't want to "dumb it down" just to work on the Oregon.

Very frustrating for me as a mapmaker...
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    I wouldn't have expected that, having no idea the contrast ratio was different than the nuvis. Sorry you've gone to so much effort as I'm sure the Oregon was a target device for your map. I wonder if the author of the map I linked had already made the same discovery as you, thus the black background.

In any case I wish I had half the understanding and talent that you do for map making. I started on a Florida-wide one based on a 1918 railroad map several months ago. Then I downsized that to Central Florida, and since then haven't been able to get motivated to complete it. A lot more time invested than I had originally expected. Kudos to anyone who takes the time to create mapping for the rest of us to enjoy.
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    Thanks for the kind words Gator. It sounds like you might have been trying to create one of the "Custom Maps" for your Dakota. Those are raster-based (pictures, basically). The map I'm working on is a traditional vector-based Garmin map that works on all models.

Actually my target was the Nuvi as well as the computer screen, but I was hoping it would also work out on the Oregon. Heh, didn't test it until yesterday because somehow I "bricked" my unit and needed to spend awhile to revive it (tip: if it won't complete the boot process, pull the batteries, replace then hold the power button constantly while plugging into the USB :) )

Anyway, I decided to mull this over a bit. The map currently only has a night mode, but I could add daytime colors for the Oregon. It might also look a lot better on the newer models than my 400t. The Nuvi's have very bright screens (for sunlight in the car), which is why they suck down their batteries so quickly! The Oregon/Dakota screens are trans-reflective: they also work with the backlights turned off. The Nuvi's do not.

If you want to dabble with Garmin vector-based maps, download the trial of Mapwel from http://mapwel.eu. It's pretty user-friendly and surprisingly powerful.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Yup, exactly what I was doing. The next time I have an unscheduled free day I'll give Mapwel a spin. May be a few weeks tho as my son enjoyed the hike so much this weekend he's made plans for new trails the next three Saturdays.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Funny, I have been meaning to do something similar, however just yesterday I had an insight into why there isn't a night mode on the Oregon.
    Boyd, the author of the NightMode file I mentioned above has determined he can't make a night mode for Garmin's 100K or 24K maps, but for a different reason. At the same time he says he's got a way for it to work with most custom maps.

Discussion thread is here: http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?s=37d8c6e9b11b70d81e2ec97b78a12a7f&showtopic=266370
  • reacon 0 Points
    I also have an Oregon in hand if anyone has specific questions.
    I have just ordered my Oregon 450 from GPS Central....was wondering what size microSC card to buy, and I guess the card adaptor comes with the mini card.

Thanks,
    Bryan.
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    Really depends on what you plan to do. Some people may not need any card. If you plan to subscribe to Birdseye, you will want a card definitely. If you aren't sure, then just wait. The unit is completely usable without any card and has enough internal memory to install several maps.
  • reacon 0 Points
    Really depends on what you plan to do. Some people may not need any card. If you plan to subscribe to Birdseye, you will want a card definitely. If you aren't sure, then just wait. The unit is completely usable without any card and has enough internal memory to install several maps.
    Thanks Boyd....just looking for as much info I can get on the 450. By reading the posts on the Montana there are a lot user's switching to this new unit. Is there a few posts kicking around on the oregon 450, hopefully it will serve me well. I guess I'm also looking for a few maps to download. Also if there are a few maps available and does one apply these maps to basecamp and then to the 450. As you can see there is much for me to learn. With my old blue Etrex Legend I used for geocaching there wasn't much for mapping ability. Anyways won't bable on.

Thanks,
    Bryan.
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    Have a look at the maps here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all

Notice the column heading "EZ Install". All of these maps include an installer program that does all the hard stuff for you. Just install Basecamp first, then run the installer and you can view the map on your computer. Then you may select the portions of it that you want and send them to your gps.

See "tutorials to help you use the maps" here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/
  • reacon 0 Points
    Have a look at the maps here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/all

Notice the column heading "EZ Install". All of these maps include an installer program that does all the hard stuff for you. Just install Basecamp first, then run the installer and you can view the map on your computer. Then you may select the portions of it that you want and send them to your gps.

See "tutorials to help you use the maps" here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/
    Wow...thks so much, I do believe this is what I'm looking for, being a newbie. Will digest and see if I can sort this out.

Thanks,
    Bryan.
  • reacon 0 Points
    Boyd, wondering if there is such a site for Canada.

Thanks,
    Bryan
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    Not that I know of. Choose Canada as a country at GPSFileDepot and you will find some maps I think. The ibycus topo has been very popular in Canada, but I'm not sure if you will find it online anymore. My understanding is that the author will send you a DVD for a few bucks though. See the info here: http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/
  • babj615 41 Points
    Wow...thks so much, I do believe this is what I'm looking for, being a newbie. Will digest and see if I can sort this out.

Thanks,
    Bryan.
    I have been trying to sort it all out for more than a year now... ALWAYS something more to learn... but it sure is fun!