Problems with Nuvi 350

We have had a problem 2 different times with our Nuvi 350 telling us we had arrived at our destination and we clearly were not anywhere near our destination. The first time was in Chicago. We left an under ground parking garage and drove around for 15 to 20 minutes waiting for it to acquire satellites. I would have stopped somewhere to let the Satellites acquire but I couldn't find anywhere to stop! Not even a place to pull off the road. After the Nuvi found a satellite we used the Nuvi to find a restaurant. Then we proceeded to follow the Nuvi. I don't remember the Street name of the restaurant but the Nuvi had us driving down Lake Shore Dr. and said we had arrived at out destination and there was nothing, no intersection, or anywhere to go except to keep driving! Then we let it recalculate and again the Nuvi brought us back to Lake Shore drive and said we had arrived at our destination. We gave up!

A couple of months later, in Indianapolis, my wife dropped me off at a location near the airport. She would need to pick me up later that day and she would not remember how to find it. I knew the location that I was at could not be found by entering the address in the Nuvi. When she dropped me off and before she pulled away, I had the Nuvi remember our current location and named it. That evening, she is coming to get me and the Nuvi keeps telling her she arrived at her location, and once again, it's not even close. She is driving in circles for an hour and the stupid Nuvi keeps routing her back to a location that was several miles away from me.

We are going on a vacation this year and it makes me very nervous if I am to trust the Nuvi. :cry: It makes me even more worried that my wife needs to rely on the Nuvi from time to time.

Comments

• Regarding the restaraunt, it's very common for a POI to be off. Usually it's within viewing distance (less than a 100 yards), but it can be a real problem in a city with limited viewing distance.

As far as the waypoint you created, that's odd. When you created it did you notice if it was located exactly where the car was shown? Maybe it's related to your problem with acquiring satellites. Was the car on the map located correctly? The Nuvi likes to pin you to the closest road so if the accuracy was very low it might have put you on a different road. But it seems that you would have noticed this when you created the waypoint. So if the waypoint was created correctly, maybe the accuracy issue was when your wife returned. It's hard to say what happened, but I think this is the first time I've heard anyone report this issue.
  • My 350 did that to me one time also. I just figured that the restaraunt had moved, or closed down and did not get updated. That brings me to a question, how do POIs get into the data base, or how do they get updated if a place closes or moves?
  • Regarding the restaraunt, it's very common for a POI to be off. Usually it's within viewing distance (less than a 100 yards), but it can be a real problem in a city with limited viewing distance.
    I can understand that happening. This wasn't the case in Chicago. There was literally not where to go. There wasn't a place to turn left or right. If I stopped I would have been in the middle of the road. IIRC on my left was some sand and Lake Michigan. On my right was a fence and a big parking lot. I wonder if driving around for 15minutes waiting for the satellites to acquire could have caused this? I was thinking it might have thrown the satellite of track, but then again it did seem to know where it was the rest of the time :?
    As far as the waypoint you created, that's odd. When you created it did you notice if it was located exactly where the car was shown? Maybe it's related to your problem with acquiring satellites. Was the car on the map located correctly? The Nuvi likes to pin you to the closest road so if the accuracy was very low it might have put you on a different road. But it seems that you would have noticed this when you created the waypoint. So if the waypoint was created correctly, maybe the accuracy issue was when your wife returned. It's hard to say what happened, but I think this is the first time I've heard anyone report this issue.
    I just tried this route again this morning and it worked just fine. Scary