ETA on next map update?

jmac 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I'm wondering if anyone has an educated guess on when the next map update from TT will be released. I tried contacting them directly, but the CSR hadn't even heard of the quarterly updates. I'm sitting on my free map upgrade and wondering if I should wait or just pull the trigger.

Comments

• E61 0 Points
    Well, your latest map garantee only last for 30 days, so use it before it is to late...
  • orphius 0 Points
    It depends on when did you buy your unit. If quarterly update is a true one then the update should come out by 2nd week of August (as the previous one was May 9th). Do the math and use your judgement.

More over if you bought any of the Go x30s then they have now the most updated maps. In that case you only can wait.
  • jmac 0 Points
    I bought a 930, but it does not have the 8.05 maps on it.
  • orphius 0 Points
    What version of map do you have in your 930? As far I know 930 came with v8.05.
  • jmac 0 Points
    I don't have it with me, but my recollection is that I've got 8.01.
  • Tim 1276 Points
    That sounds like it might be the application version, not the map version.
  • orphius 0 Points
    Tim,
    Is there any official declaration from TT of quarterly map update?
  • Tim 1276 Points
    As far as a set schedule of actual dates-- not that I know. However they have moved to a quarterly map release schedule and have verbally confirmed that to me... I don't know if it is written out anywhere though.
  • JohnM 0 Points
    When does the 30-day count down start?
    Is it:
    1. The order date
    2. The date the owner received the package

On TomTom web site it said:
    "if a newer map is available within 30 days from when you start using your device, you are entitled to one free map download."

I don't think that's what they meant. How do they know when you start using the device???
  • dhn 191 Points
    Consensus seems to be the first date you log into TomTom with your account using Home.
  • Tim 1276 Points
    I don't think that's what they meant. How do they know when you start using the device???
    GPS devices use satellites to track your position. In order to do that, precise times must be known. The device just has a little internal flash drive, so the first time you use it and the date/time becomes synced they just write the information to the internal drive.

As dhn alluded to I don't think that (first satellite date) is what they are using to determine the 30 day update. However the file they are looking at is stored inside the map folder of the device. Typically in a file the same name as your map with a .meta extension.

But it isn't the order date nor the date you received the package as they would have no way to easily know that information.
  • jmac 0 Points
    That sounds like it might be the application version, not the map version.
    You're right. My map version is actually 800.1727

Sounds kinda old. maybe I can get an extension on my update?