This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Mapquest on 760?

A prior post discussed the methods for transferring google maps and mapquest maps into a Garmin. http://www.gpsreview.net/forums/discussion/7185/x/p1/;highlight=760

It said that the mapquest transfer was simply a matter of "sending" the map. Can anyone furnish detailed instructions for getting a mapquest route int a nuvi760 :?: .

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Tim 1486 Points
    Connect the GPS to your computer via USB, create a route in MapQuest, and it the 'Send' button under the MapQuest logo. Select 'Send to GPS'.
  • Galanw 0 Points
    Thanks....I was trying to Send by using the File menu. :roll:
  • budk 0 Points
    I'm scheduled to get my 760 today. However, I'm puzzled as to why you would send a mapquest to the gps. Can you please enlighten me?

Please understand that I do not think you are wrong in doing this, I'm unable to figure out why you would.... I'm trying to learn as much about this as possible and this will be my first gps.
    :?
    Thanks ! Bud
  • Tim 1486 Points
    I'm scheduled to get my 760 today. However, I'm puzzled as to why you would send a mapquest to the gps. Can you please enlighten me?
    It is just a bit easier to work with a full screen map, keyboard and mouse sometimes versus the 4" screen, and tapping on the screen of the GPS.
  • Mark29 0 Points

Please understand that I do not think you are wrong in doing this, I'm unable to figure out why you would.... I'm trying to learn as much about this as possible and this will be my first gps.
    :?
    Thanks ! Bud
    I've done this with Google maps and my TomTom. When a POI isn't listed in my TT, I pull it up on Google maps, then send it to TT rather than type in the address. From there, I can navigate to it, save it as a favorite, etc. This way it's listed with the name of the poi rather than just an address.

Mark
  • budk 0 Points
    Okay, but are you downloading the entire route that say mapquest would generate or just the POI. In other words, which device is planning the actual route?

Thanks! I can't wait to get home and hopefully find it waiting for me!
  • Galanw 0 Points
    Also, the 760 sometimes gives convoluted routes that you know will take longer and would rather have the mapquest route.
  • Mark29 0 Points
    Okay, but are you downloading the entire route that say mapquest would generate or just the POI. In other words, which device is planning the actual route?

Thanks! I can't wait to get home and hopefully find it waiting for me!
    In my case with the TT, I'm just downloading the POI - it's a matter of convenience. I don't see the point in creating the route, as all I need is the POI to use as a destination. I haven't tried anything like this yet with my wife's Garmin.

Mark
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    With the 7x0's, you are downloading the actual route, just the way you built it in Mapquest.
  • You can also in mapquest just put in the POI... in search just put in name of business and city, search, then select the one you desire, when the map is displayed, on the top menu, "Send To", just select GPS and just like that, it's saved into your favorites... :lol:
  • :twisted: :twisted: :evil: :evil:

Garmin currently accepts only errors in their maps from Map Quest, and not the routing details.

Map Quest give great maps when "Quicket Route" is selected. Garmin ALWAYS uses surface roads with Stop Signs and Traffic Lights that slows you down when the "Quickes Route" is selected. Garmin does not use a Freeway which is almost parallel to the surface road in its routing.

Garmin has to upgrade the algorithm it use to select routes and do better than Map Quest.

Disgusted purchaser
  • Connect the GPS to your computer via USB, create a route in MapQuest, and it the 'Send' button under the MapQuest logo. Select 'Send to GPS'.
    Sorry about pulling up an old thread but...............Tim, now that the file has been sent to my GPS 750 where do I find it so that I can put it in my " Favorites "
    TIA
  • Tim 1486 Points
    If you sent a waypoint it should be in your favorites. If you sent a route you will need to import it through the 'My Data' menu.
  • Thanks for the quick reply Tim. I will give it a try.
  • Tim. " Data was successfully imported " I import it but than cannot find it in my favorites. Am I doing something wrong ?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Once it's imported, it won't be in favorites. Go to>Routes. It should be there.
  • Once it's imported, it won't be in favorites. Go to>Routes. It should be there.
    thank you very much, gatorguy
  • Again thanks for the help. What I was trying to do was make a route in Mapquest, manipulate the route to take the roads I wanted , and then transfer it to my 750. It didn't work , the GPS routed me the same as if I had entered the address into the GPS myself. I am guessing I will need a copy of Mapsource to do what I want !!??
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    If you add vias to force the route you want, and use "send to" to transfer the route and not a single destination, it should work in MapQuest.
  • You guys are making this more complicated than need be.

To the OP, forget mapquest altogether.

Give garmin a call and request a map source dvd. It will come with the mapsource program and the maps data. Install the software & maps, it'll pull the unlock code from the gps itself.

Create your own custom routes within the software and send to the gps.

Stay away from mapsource 6.15.3. It's quite the bugfest. Use v 6.13.7.
  • You guys are making this more complicated than need be.

To the OP, forget mapquest altogether.

Give garmin a call and request a map source dvd. It will come with the mapsource program and the maps data. Install the software & maps, it'll pull the unlock code from the gps itself.

Create your own custom routes within the software and send to the gps.

Stay away from mapsource 6.15.3. It's quite the bugfest. Use v 6.13.7.
    Interesting idea, but now I have invested another $100 in the software, unless I missed something?

Mike
  • If responding to a post just above, no need to quote (unless necessary - picked this up on zumoforums and a few other places).

Anyways, I'm not sure what you spent $100 on. I didn't see any mention of it in the posts above (or maybe I missed it?). Please clarify what exactly you bought?

Garmin provides the mapsource/mapdata dvd free of charge (including no shipping) by simply requesting it. If you get a rep unwilling, hang up and call again.

I used the nuvi (750) on my motorcycle for most of last summer. One of the key features I was looking for in the gps was an ability to create custom detailed routes on the pc, upload it to the gps, then follow it along.

Initially I was hesitant to using mapsource, and insisted on finding ways to transfer google routes over. That turned out to be a lost battle. Once I understood vias and shaping points and rubberbanding in mapsource, I rarely go back to google. Sometimes it's unclear if the road is paved or not, but even then, google is usually equally ambiguous.
  • I wasn't aware you could get the Mapsource DVD free. I looked at Garmin.com and only found it listed as something I had to buy.

Good to know, should be a seamless interface, since it is Garmin's product.

Mike
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Just to note: Mapsource is (apparently) now included with the latest map update..
  • Tim 1486 Points
    Garmin provides the mapsource/mapdata dvd free of charge (including no shipping) by simply requesting it.
    That only seems to apply to customers in the USA. Customers in other countries are typically asked to pay full price. An increasing amount of people in the USA are also being charged $15 for the DVD.

I find it much easier just to use the MapQuest site. No phone call to make, no waiting for shipping, and no need to put another few GB of stuff on my computer's drive. But that is my preference.
  • My 760 is on order, so I will have time to experiment with it after it gets here. From my earlier attempts to look at some of the Mapquest and Google maps functions, it appears to fully use them a GPS has to be connected to the computer. Since that step was missing on my end, things didnt seem to work quite right.

Mike
  • So..........I have spent some time fooling around with my 750. I downloaded Mapsource as per some info I got on another forum :oops: , but I cant figure how to use it. So back to Mapquest , planned a route with a few via points ....and Voila it worked. Mapquest seemed a lot easier to use than Mapsource, but again that just might be me. ( BTW do I have to unlock mapsource before I can use it ? :oops: )
  • Tim,

To each their own. I just played around with mapsource. It seems cumbersome to me to get the exact route I want. The fine detail needed to select specific intersections for a route to pass through seems difficult to achieve (that and the site crash firefox several times).

I can't select a window around a particular area to quickly zoom in.

Google maps seems better in this regard in that the +/- keys in the keyboard zoom in/out without having to click on the zoom tool directly.

I'm very particular about the roads I chose for my bike trips (where the best route is the curviest path between two points :) ). Mapsource gives me this fine granular control.

For basic interstate routes, i'm sure mapquest/google maps, etc will come up with the same route as most gps units.
  • OK, so I've played with Mapsource and Google now that I have my 760. Both applications seem to work fine.

BUT, why does Mapsource create a route for me using waypoints and it looks like I want it, but then when I import it to the 760, it doesn't go to the same place? Is it not the same software and processor?

I can quickly build a route, but getting it to look like I want it to takes forever and lots of manipulation. I have one that I have played with for hours and still never got it to go where I wanted it to go, even though it looks great in Mapquest or Mapsource....

I'm sure it's operator error.

I have thought of breaking the route up into smaller sections, but I have yet to try that. I was attempting to create a route of 700 miles. I think if i broke that up into two routes, forcing it to a particular end point on route 1, then continuing to my destination, it would be fine. I just haven't had the time or patience to try that yet.

By the time I had thought of that idea, I was tempted to see if the 760 could FLY!!!! At that point, it was time to put it away.

Mike
  • Mike, if you're using version 6.15.3 of mapsource, get rid of it!

Install ver 6.13.7 ontop of it and your problems should go away (assuming it's the problem im thinking of where the route goes back and forth between your defined via points).

Otherwise, post a pic of what your route looks like on the gps.
  • Hard to post a picture of a 700 mile route so someone can see it. I did break it up last night into two parts. The first part forcing it from my starting point to the point on the route I could not get the GPS to go to. With that being the final destination, it took me there with no trouble. I then just went from there to my final destination, and all was happy.

I do have 6.15.3 Mapsource loaded. I have no idea how to make a change to that though.

I'll leave it alone for now. All other routes I have been working with seem to have worked out like I wanted them too.

Mike
  • By picture I meant a jpg of what your original route looks like, and another of how it changes on the gps. You can host your pics at some free places like imageshack.us or photobucket.com .
  • Like I said, pretty tough to show a 700 mile route on a 4" GPS screen with enough detail that you can see the discrepancies.

Suffice it to say, something is messed up. I have found a way around it, even if I don't like it or understand why Mapsource on my PC works fine, but doesn't import to the Nuvi.

Mike
  • Try this,

Save your route as a gpx in mapsource, exit out of mapsource, then reopen that same gpx with mapsource.

I bet my internet dollars that your corruption will be apparent.
  • WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It sure doesn't like that .GPX format!! I had been saving them in the .GDB format and they would reopen in Mapsource just fine.

>GPX format

What a mess!!!!

.GDB format

This is what it should look like.

So, what causes this problem and is it fixable?

Mike
  • Yup... exactly what I thought.

How do I redeem my winnings :)

You have 2 choices, go back to 6.13.7 (recommended), or recalculate the route before savings it.

I just don't trust 6.15.3, even with recalc, so i'm sticking with the earlier ver.
  • I don't have a way back to 6.13.7, as this was my first version of Mapsource. That would explain why sometimes it doesnt even start at the correct beginning point on the route also.

Not sure how you redeem those winnings! :)

You would think Garmin would put out a software update to fix that problem???

Mike
  • http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe

Just install over the existing installation.

I must warn you however, if you're running 2009.1 maps, the older mapsource can't read it directly. You'll need to convert the 2009.1 maps to a format compatible with the earlier software.

If that's needed, post up. I know it's covered in one of these threads, and I know there's a big discussion about it on gpspassion and zumoforums. I'll locate the pertinent links.

But, before doing anything, just try the recalc option and see if it works for you as a temporary workaround.
  • What a mess... recalc seemed to fix it, but the Nuvi is in the truck now and I'm not going to mess with it now. At least it got all the straight purple lines out of the route.

And yes, I do have 2009 maps, so that would be one more problem going back a version.

As long as I can get where I want to and not get killed by my wife for it failing to lead us to where we are going, I'm going to be alright.

Mike