This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Google Maps to garmin track

I want to take a route calculated by google maps and save it as a track that I can upload to the GPS to follow. I know the 60CSx recalculates routes so it would have to be a track, so its exactly the same as on the computer.

The exact opposite of this: http://www.pangloss.com/maps/GarminGPSmap.html

Does anyone know if its possible yet? I don't have time to write my own code (nor do I even know if its even doable with the API).

Thanks

Comments

• Tim 1468 Points
    I haven't looked at the API all that much yet. I know there are some plugins that will convert a route from Google Earth into waypoints for a TomTom, so doing something like that to create a tracklog seems reasonable, but I don't know of anyone who has done the groundwork already.
  • BuffaloM 0 Points
    Tim,
    Thats very encouraging news. Do you recall the project names?
    It looks like a polyline should provide the necessary points. If a route is a poly line and it can be extracted it shouldn't be very hard to make something that would fit my purpose. I'll have to explore more in a few months when I'll have free time, unless you or someone else points me to a project/website that does this or something near this already.
  • Tim 1468 Points
    I can't think of it off the top of my head but there is someone else in these forums who will probably chime in who uses it. It doesn't really use a poly line, rather just a list of waypoints and creates a route between those points.
  • Tim 1468 Points
    I believe the program is called tripmaster.