This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon

lcgonzalez 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I was looking for some info about GPS units online and came across a brand called Navigon.

Have anyone heard anything about this units?

I will be looking for more info and in case something interesting comes around, I will publish it.

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    I think they are more well known in Europe, and more well known for their GPS software for PDAs. They are just starting to ramp up with more offerings here in the USA.
  • I just went to their website and it looks like they will be offering 2 new units in America. The Navigon 5100 (3.5" display) and the 7100 (4.3" display).

I was reading the data sheet for the 7100 an it has a couple of interesting features additional to the features we are used to in other GPS units:

* text-to-speech
    * free traffic info (built in traffic receiver)
    • Zagat Ratings and Reviews
    * Lane Assistant
    * Blue tooth
    * Reality View: guides with photo-realistic 3D images of complex intersections.

I don't like two things. One, is not apple compatible. Two, it uses Win CE. I'm sorry, I'm a Mac guy.

I can see a few websites that already have the unit listed. Amazon says that it will ship in 4 to 6 weeks. That means the unit is going to be available soon.
  • AngelArs 0 Points
    Navigon is a VERY big navigation company. I think they're based in Germany. They are new to the US market but they have pioneered many high-end navigational technologies. They are also a founding member of the ActMap project, which is a way to update GPS map info instantaneously. Their first product in the US market was the N100, which has received many 5 out of 5 stars from its customers. Their 7100 GPS has won many awards already! You'll notice that many GPS companies use a service called NAVTEQ, and Navigon bought them a few years ago. They also charge less than anyone else for their map updates, plus they have a program called CleverMap where instead of buying the entire update for the US, you can buy just your state and surrounding states for around 2/3rds less than the full US update would have cost you. They are a very inovative company. If you're looking for a high-end GPS unit then they are the only way to go. Having said that you should also know that they are new to the U.S. market as mentioned, so this first year they will probably make a few mistakes here and there as most new companies do, BUT they put customer service very high on their list, and any problems that you might initially have will be addressed by them. They are not the kind of company that will give you the run around. They have great customer service and usually respond back within 24 hours. I am glad that they are finally in the U.S.. Maybe now some of these other companies will off better/more services in order to compete with them.
  • JeepLover 91 Points
    You sound very knowledgable about this company and their products. I am very interested in learning more about the 7100. I checked out their web site which Tim posted in another forum and I wasn't terribly impressed besause it is a translation into British English rather than American English. They are very light on feature details which is very important to me. Also we have no firm date on shipping or when or what the price will be in USD or where it can be purchased. I am listening carefully but so far still sold on the TomTom 720. I am really sold on the idea of user upgradable POIs that can be shared among other users via the company's web site. There was a hint that the 7100 might be able to do this too but the TomTom 720 goes way beyond customizable POIs.

Another point that I've seen addressed very little is how often maps are updated. I believe that most GPS companies try to update their maps annually. But most map companies actually update their maps at least quarterly which can be a potential advantage for a company like Navigon which owns NAVTEQ (as well as TomTom if their offer to buy the map company they use goes thru). I don't believe you get this from Garmin.
    If frequency of map update isn't shown on the comparison, perhaps it should be and at what price.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Navigon which owns NAVTEQ
    Navigon doesn't own NAVTEQ, rather they purchased NAVTEQ's software navigation business from them.
  • AngelArs 0 Points
    I checked out their web site which Tim posted in another forum and I wasn't terribly impressed besause it is a translation into British English rather than American English. They are very light on feature details which is very important to me. Also we have no firm date on shipping or when or what the price will be in USD or where it can be purchased.
    I don't know which 'link' you're referring to, but Navigon has has around 16 websites, and the US site and the International site have for some time listed everything. There is even a product PDF file available for download. A simple google search would have given you all the information that you require, and no company will post a firm date when they are entering into a new market with new products. It just isn't a good business decision because there are so many variables that they have to contend with. Would you rather that they announced a date and then kept changing it and moving it back as unseen business dilemmas kept coming up? This happens in the software marketplace and the companies involved have learned a lesson from it, which is, not to do it. Navigon announced that it would be toward the end of July/beginning of August and that's pin pointing it close engough for most people. Details like price, warranty, dealer information have long been established and in place for at least the past 2-3 months now.

Also regarding NAVTEQ, I heard that TomTom either has, or is going to acquire Tele Atlas. A good move on their part :)
  • Tim 1480 Points
    As an FYI, I've got the 7100 in my hands now, if there is anything specific (outside of a normal review) people are looking to know, let me know.
  • Did yours come with the 2 gig card or the 4 gig card?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I haven't checked it in a drive yet, but based on the markings it looks like a 2GB.
  • OK thanks. If it is a 2 gig card, contact Navigon and they will exchange it for a 4 gig.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    What's the difference, other than capacity?
  • None really, but originally they advertised that it would ship with a 4 gig card. Some of the first units were mispacked with 2 gig cards, so they are exchanging them for for those customers with the 4 gig version. They have since changed their site to read 2 gig, so this is only for the earlier shipped units. Also, incase you're not aware of it there is a $50.00 rebate on the unit :D
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Okay, I'm not going to worry about any of that then since mine is a demo. :)
  • Tim,

Looking forward to your full review of the 7100.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Me too. :lol:
  • Tim 1480 Points
    At long last, my Review of the NAVIGON 7100.