Where is our new release? [HP]

patruns 10 Points
I was under the impression an update was scheduled for the end of September. I know it is only October 2, but I have been waiting patiently! :wink: I have been holding off any some mods until the update comes out to be sure things are fixed (like the out of memory issue when searching POIs) before I make any changes.

Infama? :)

Comments

• infama 0 Points
    I have no idea.

I am out of the loop.
  • johnb 0 Points
    An update for the PDA version of iGo8 (code dated July 30) was released at the end of August. That runs on HP iPAQ h2210, HP iPAQ h4150, HP iPAQ rx5940 Travel Companion, etc
    Possibly that is the one that was originally mentioned by HP Support as coming out in September?
    However it will need further work to be customised for the HP 31x....so hopefully sometime in October?
  • infama 0 Points
    ipaq 310 is not PDA, but PNA.

Igo8 for PNA has been updated in July and September.

HP updates are unrelated really, as the update issues for the HP nav are specific to that implementation.
  • johnb 0 Points
    I was referring to:
    An update is released for Nav N Go iGO 8
    http://www.navngo.com/pages/global/eng/igo_8_update
    An update (R1 patch) is released on 29th August 2008 for Nav N Go iGO 8 users, which fixes most known problems, updates several free contents, and almost doubles the number of compatible PDA devices
    and this:
    R1 patch update for the v8 PDA version of our navigation software
    https://www.naviextras.com/shop/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=59

Can't find any mention of a separate PNA version. Is there one? If so, where is it and where is the HP31x version?

The software is basically the same except for customisation for different operating systems/processors/device supplier requirements. I don't think you can classify software differences as being between PDAs and PNAs.
  • infama 0 Points
    John,

I was referring to new PNA releases (intended for different hardware running igo8). There are indeed differences between PNA and PDA versions. The differences are in the actual executables.

Most hardware adopters of igo8 dont make the radical modifications that HP have developed for their solution.

The latest version I see people talking about is 8.3.1.54000.
  • patruns 10 Points
    iGO writes the software for Windows Mobile. The iPAQ 300 series runs Windows CE. HP has to do some fancy tweaking before they can release the update.
  • infama 0 Points
    No

NNG writes the software, period. They RELEASE their commercial version on Win Mobile, but do have custom versions for other manufacturers and some are on CE, etc.

HP is not doing any fancy tweaking, they simply work with NNG for the mods they want and probably help to test.
  • kilch 0 Points
    So, is there any news about new maps and release?
    Or HP stopped supporting this device?
  • johnb 0 Points
    The iPAQ 314 has been discontinued according to the HP UK web site
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF09a/215348-215348-64929.html

So possibly no more updates?

Has anyone asked HP Support recently?
  • I was just about to post this myself. Seems that has not happened to the 310.......... yet.
  • johnb 0 Points
    There are a couple of threads on the official HP support forum:handhelds-iPAQ started by Frank Hartog and called IPAQ31x script language and IPAQ314 visualization speedcams solved!!!!!!!!!!!! which might be of interest concerning updated software.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Frank is trying a beta for the 314. Nothing out there yet for the rest of us and from what I have read, the beta did not solve Frank's speedcam problems, but he may have resolved that issue on his own.
  • johnb 0 Points
    Frank did solve the speedcam problem - see the second thread. He also said the beta solved the roundabout problem. It might have solved some of the other issues as well. The download link for the beta worked for me recently. It seems to be OK. I've merged it with some of the various skin updates that had been posted and am currently testing it to see what else it might have solved.
    This seems better than nothing - which is what HP are currently offering.
  • johnb 0 Points
    The new Naviextras Toolbox (the replacement for Content Manager) recognises the iPAQ 31x (recognising a 314 as a 316). Although it might just connect to/recognise all devices running iGO8? The iPAQ 31x is not (yet) on the list of supported devices.

Toolbox has allowed downloads and applied updates of the free speedcam databases on the site. However those who have tried to install maps or other updates they've purchased from the web site have met with failure - presumably due to licensing issues.

Hopefully this recognition of the 31x by Toolbox is a step further towards either HP or Naviextras providing a new update service in the not too distant future?? I don' know how many iPAQ 31x have been sold but there must be quite a large potential market for paid for updates.
  • johnb 0 Points
    Two people have now reported on https://www.naviextras.com/shop/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=1869&offset=20 that they've successfully purchased and installed maps.
  • infama 0 Points
    Good, because I think HP is no longer in the game.
  • johnb 0 Points
    Just hope they come up with an iGo software upgrade as well.
  • gatorguy 196 Points
    I think what Infama is trying to tell you is to expect nothing more from HP regarding their pnd's.
  • Tim 1298 Points
    Right, I now have multiple sources saying that HP is no longer in the GPS business.
  • johnb 0 Points
    I think what Infama is trying to tell you is to expect nothing more from HP regarding their pnd's.
    I think we've all known that for sometime! Although they do have some commitment to ongoing support for the 31x which people still seem to be buying (and without realising how little HP is going to provide).

Hopefully HP will let Naviextras get on with selling software and maps to any 31x users who want to continue using their devices and not put create any contractual problems.

It does look as though Naviextras are moving towards making an announcement about formal support.
  • patruns 10 Points
    I suspect what you will see will be available maps and other packages like more 3D building packages from Nav N Go. As long as they don't have to mess with HP's customized program files we should be able to eventually buy from them. We still have a couple of software issues unresolved such as out or memory errors during POI searches. I do not expect Nav N Go to be fixing those and I hope HP comes out with a final update to the software before they quit. If not, perhaps some unemployed attorney will have some free time to look into a more aggressive approach.....
  • infama 0 Points
    Wont happen.

However, for the POI search problem, there may already be a fix. People have been using igo8 Pois to replace the ones on the ipaq which seem to have been corrupt or something. Noticably TEXAS and perhaps NJ too.

POIs are interchangable.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Wont happen.

However, for the POI search problem, there may already be a fix. People have been using igo8 Pois to replace the ones on the ipaq which seem to have been corrupt or something. Noticably TEXAS and perhaps NJ too.

POIs are interchangable.
    No, my out of memory error is not confined to NJ. I really suspect it is more a matter of the way the search engine performs (prioritizes) the search. Be that as it may, POIs are usually part of a map package so the only "legal" way to replace them will be to buy an update. While it seems this may now be possible, I am not yet ready to make the purchase as the current maps are not that much out of date for my area. Besides, I am patiently waiting while the brave ones works out the bugs....... :)
  • infama 0 Points
    Wont happen.

POIs are interchangable.

No, my out of memory error is not confined to NJ. I really suspect it is more a matter of the way the search engine performs (prioritizes) the search. Be that as it may, POIs are usually part of a map package so the only "legal" way to replace them will be to buy an update. While it seems this may now be possible, I am not yet ready to make the purchase as the current maps are not that much out of date for my area. Besides, I am patiently waiting while the brave ones works out the bugs....... :)
    LoL
  • nshaw94 0 Points
    have you got anything yet. :wink:
  • patruns 10 Points
    HP put out a patched POI file. You can find it on their website. I skipped it and just updated everything through naviextras.com
  • Hey Pat, how you're doing. Can you tell us more about your experience at this site. Have you used their toolbox? What updates did you get and what's your assessment? I'm quite happy with my 310 the way it is now but if the map updates are worth it and the 3D models are better, then I'd probably go for it.

Cheers!